Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

I'm still trying to work out what to do with the handle on the grey one :/ It's split in a couple of places where it's held together by the seams. Plus the bit that used to attach one end has broken and been lost at some point.

Was thinking of using a section of grey leather belt or similar to replace it. Or glue :D

I'm now contemplating the issue of my press releases for the album. The CD cases have worked really well I think and people are intrigued by them. It makes sense to continue the artisanal thing into the press releases. Also, it'll cheer me up as I'm finding the sales and promotion phase a bit dreary.

Possibly I should drag the old typewriter out and see if I can find a new ribbon for it on ebay. Get some nice paper. Although it would be quite nice to include images. Although the office photocopier isn't up to doing them well so it'd mean going back to the printers so maybe not.

I've also been putting a skeleton leaf in the booklet of each CD because there is very much an autumn leaf theme going on with the photos. Perhaps I could incorporate these in some way.

what format do you have the images in rubes? what kind of images/how much detail?

i'm thinking if it's a fairly graphic image - or something you can photoshop into that format - you could get a custom stamp made, somewhere like this. i've also been told that you can get custom letterpress plates made for around £20 - which should be hand printable? :hmm:

They're glorious technicolour pro quality photos unfortunately.

Have just dragged the typewriter out and it does work, but the carriage doesn't always move on properly after each letter, might be a pain to do much typing on it. But then I could probably borrow or buy another typewriter.

It's the one Elizabeth Arden gave my great aunt as a retirement present when she left her job as a secretary after 40 million years there.

the belt sounds like the elegant solution, the glue sounds like the easy one :D

ok, I'm gonna make it a bit like this one:

300391_10150927360565246_772200245_21560383_1527301765_n.jpg

See where on the right hand side of the photo the handle is bonded together? It's not a single strip like the existing one on the grey case. I'm going to cut back the grey one to that length then extend it to re-make the handle in that style, probably using a grey leather belt.

I'm now contemplating the issue of my press releases for the album. The CD cases have worked really well I think and people are intrigued by them. It makes sense to continue the artisanal thing into the press releases. Also, it'll cheer me up as I'm finding the sales and promotion phase a bit dreary.

Possibly I should drag the old typewriter out and see if I can find a new ribbon for it on ebay. Get some nice paper. Although it would be quite nice to include images. Although the office photocopier isn't up to doing them well so it'd mean going back to the printers so maybe not.

I've also been putting a skeleton leaf in the booklet of each CD because there is very much an autumn leaf theme going on with the photos. Perhaps I could incorporate these in some way.

Have you got any pics?

what format do you have the images in rubes? what kind of images/how much detail?

i'm thinking if it's a fairly graphic image - or something you can photoshop into that format - you could get a custom stamp made, somewhere like this. i've also been told that you can get custom letterpress plates made for around £20 - which should be hand printable? :hmm:
Likewise, there's stuff you can do in Photoshop to make it work better on your work photocopier...

The plan is slowly taking shape. I picked the brains of a friend who teaches printmaking who (a) lent me her typewriter, which works better than mine, and (b) suggested typing what I want, scanning it and then printing the scan onto brown paper, cut to A4 (or other nice paper). Rather than attempting to type loads of the buggers individually.

I'm now wondering if I could scan a skeleton leaf at the same time. May have to try it...

Scaling it to the size you want, then converting to bitmap and putting a half-tone screen on it, assuming it's for a black and white photocopier.

Scaling it to the size you want, then converting to bitmap and putting a half-tone screen on it, assuming it's for a black and white photocopier.
Ah, no, I'd want it in full colour and the work printer is colour. I just don't think it's up to doing an ok job of it.

So... need to choose some paper for this typewritery press release thing. Help me decide between:

http://www.greenstat.co.uk/storefront/Grass-Paper-A4-120gsm-100-Sheets-P-122336 1
http://www.greenstat.co.uk/storefront/Buff-Straw-Paper-A4-120gsm-100-Sheets-P-122334 1
http://www.greenstat.co.uk/storefront/Recycled-Rough-Brown-Kraft-A4-Paper-x-100-P-640450 1
http://www.greenstat.co.uk/storefront/Lighter-Brown-Ribbed-Recycled-Kraft-Paper-A4-x-100-Sheets-P-122332 1

The brown stuff is on the grounds that the CD case is that sort of buff manilla colour of recycled card. I'm hopeful that any of these will go through a printer.

Back
Top Bottom