Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coup d'etad a la civilized world?

I think you're thinking of this chap:

Bane_TDKR3.jpg

...who is at present only a junior tory press officer.

IDS ready to give Mrs IDS a good time.

Political 2 - The Gulf War 1

All these recordings were banned during the gulf war in 1990.

Jose Felicano & The Doors - Light My Fire
Something Happens - "Parachute"
The Cure - Killing an Arab
Little angels - Bone yard
Massive Attack had the word "attack" dropped during the gulf war.
Bomb the Bass also suffered during this period.
‘The Word,’ listed 64 songs on its February 1st program that BBC Radio have deemed "unsuitable" to play during the Gulf Crisis: Lee McMurray
Abba Waterloo
A-ha Hunting High And Low
Alarm 68 Guns
Animals We Got To Get Out Of This Place 5.
Arrival I Will Survive 6.
Joan Baez The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 7.
Bangles Walk Like An Egyptian 8.
The Beatles Back In The USSR 9.
Pat Benetar Love Is A Battlefield
Big Country Fields Of Fire
Blondie Atomic
Boomtown Rats Don't Like Mondays
Brook Bros. Warpaint
Arthur Brown Fire
Kate Bush Army Dreamers
Cher Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Eric Clapton I Shot The Sheriff
Phil Collins In The Air Tonight
Cutting Crew I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
Skeeter Davies End Of The World
Desmond Dekker Israelites
Dire Straits Brothers In Arms
Duran Duran View To A Kill
Jose Feliciano Light My Fire
First Choice Armed And Extremely Dangerous
Roberta Flack Killing Me Softly
Frankie Goes To Hollywood Two Tribes
Eddie Grant Living On The Frontline
Eddie Grant Give Me Hope Joanna
Elton John Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
Johnny Hates Jazz I Don't Want To Be A Hero
John Lennon Give Peace A Chance
John Lennon Imagine
Jona Louis Stop The Cavalry
Lulu Boom Bang A Bang
McGuinness Flint When I'm Dead And Gone
Bob Marley Buffalo Soldier
Maria Muldaur Midnight At The Oasis
M*A*S*H Suicide Is Painless
Mike And The Mechanics Silent Running
Rick Nelson Fools Rush In
Nicole A Little Peace
Billy Ocean When The Going Gets Tough
Donny Osmond Soldier Of Love
Paper Lace Billy Don't Be A Hero
Queen Killer Queen
Queen Flash
Martha Reeves Forget Me Not
B.A. Robertson Bang Bang
Tom Robinson War Baby
Kenny Rogers Ruby (Don't Take Your Love To Town)
Spandau Ballet I'll Fly For You
Specials Ghost Town
Bruce Springsteen I'm On Fire
Edwin Starr War
Status Quo In The Army Now
Status Quo Burning Bridges
Cat Stevens I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun
Rod Stewart Sailing
Donna Summer State Of Independence
Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Temptations Ball Of Confusion
10 CC Rubber Bullets
Stevie Wonder Heaven Help Us All

Rocklist.net...Banned Recordings...

I remember it happenning.

I remember there being a claim made about MA having to drop the Attack bit from their name, but I also (vaguely) remember them subsequently saying it wasn't the BBC who had forced them.

I'm still not 100% convinced it was the BBC as an org who banned this list of records as a matter of policy, rather than deciding not to play them at "this sensitive time".

In the end, they are the state broadcasting organisation, so it would be no more surprising if they did than if the political party currently in power used various legal means to strengthen their hold on power. Hardly merits description as a coup d'etat, IMO, however one spells it

Thanks to butchersapron for providing links to back the claims up, which is all I was asking for. Not entirly convinced by a wiki ref to a book which we can't access, but I guess it will have to do.

No thanks at all to Pickman's model and SpookyFrank for being snide sarcastic cunts
snideness is a totally reasonable response to someone making pompous definitive statements about something they clearly know little about, tbf.

I remember there being a claim made about MA having to drop the Attack bit from their name, but I also (vaguely) remember them subsequently saying it wasn't the BBC who had forced them.

I'm still not 100% convinced it was the BBC as an org who banned this list of records as a matter of policy, rather than deciding not to play them at "this sensitive time".

In the end, they are the state broadcasting organisation, so it would be no more surprising if they did than if the political party currently in power used various legal means to strengthen their hold on power. Hardly merits description as a coup d'etat, IMO, however one spells it
i gave you a link to a page on the fucking bbc website about songs they had banned: in typical bbc style i repeat the post here
eta: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | War prompts song guidelines

snideness is a totally reasonable response to someone making pompous definitive statements about something they clearly know little about, tbf.

Maybe you could show me where I've made such a statement.

All I said was I'd like to see the claim substantiated, now it has been.

Not sure this thead is actually about the BBC staging a coup d'etat. We were just talking about how unlikely it is that if the tories did try and take over the country permanently (and isn't what their stated aim has always been?) that the lickspittles at the BBC would lift a finger to try and stop them.

The list was published in the news statesman and nme+MM at the time. I recall it clear as day. Here's the BBC confirming it. And again.

Thank you, that's all I was asking for.

It's a shame there are those here (not you) who are so quick to demand proof for other people's claims but seem to take umbrage when someone asks them to substantiate one of theirs.

I'll leave the rest of you to your discussion of imminent coups d'etat

It's a shame there are those here (not you) who are so quick to demand proof for other people's claims but seem to take umbrage when someone asks them to substantiate one of theirs.
the only umbrage i took was the gross delay between my posting substantiating material and your acknowledgement of same: for which i am still waiting.

don't you think this is a bit paranoid? considering what labour did in the last government as well?

im sorry i can't really take scaremongering clickbait headlines like this seriously.
Totally ignores where power is really located, and that beyond a bit of dicking around at the edges it doesn't really matter which party holds power.

It would be nice if we had a united opposition to take on this rancid corruption from a government that is numerically very weak.

Political 2 - The Gulf War 1

All these recordings were banned during the gulf war in 1990.

Jose Felicano & The Doors - Light My Fire
Something Happens - "Parachute"
The Cure - Killing an Arab
Little angels - Bone yard
Massive Attack had the word "attack" dropped during the gulf war.
Bomb the Bass also suffered during this period.
‘The Word,’ listed 64 songs on its February 1st program that BBC Radio have deemed "unsuitable" to play during the Gulf Crisis: Lee McMurray
Abba Waterloo
A-ha Hunting High And Low
Alarm 68 Guns
Animals We Got To Get Out Of This Place 5.
Arrival I Will Survive 6.
Joan Baez The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 7.
Bangles Walk Like An Egyptian 8.
The Beatles Back In The USSR 9.
Pat Benetar Love Is A Battlefield
Big Country Fields Of Fire
Blondie Atomic
Boomtown Rats Don't Like Mondays
Brook Bros. Warpaint
Arthur Brown Fire
Kate Bush Army Dreamers
Cher Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Eric Clapton I Shot The Sheriff
Cutting Crew I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
Skeeter Davies End Of The World
Desmond Dekker Israelites
Dire Straits Brothers In Arms
Duran Duran View To A Kill
Jose Feliciano Light My Fire
First Choice Armed And Extremely Dangerous
Roberta Flack Killing Me Softly
Frankie Goes To Hollywood Two Tribes
Eddie Grant Living On The Frontline
Eddie Grant Give Me Hope Joanna
Elton John Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
Johnny Hates Jazz I Don't Want To Be A Hero
John Lennon Give Peace A Chance
John Lennon Imagine
Jona Louis Stop The Cavalry
Lulu Boom Bang A Bang
McGuinness Flint When I'm Dead And Gone
Bob Marley Buffalo Soldier
Maria Muldaur Midnight At The Oasis
M*A*S*H Suicide Is Painless
Mike And The Mechanics Silent Running
Rick Nelson Fools Rush In
Nicole A Little Peace
Billy Ocean When The Going Gets Tough
Donny Osmond Soldier Of Love
Paper Lace Billy Don't Be A Hero
Queen Killer Queen
Queen Flash
Martha Reeves Forget Me Not
B.A. Robertson Bang Bang
Tom Robinson War Baby
Kenny Rogers Ruby (Don't Take Your Love To Town)
Spandau Ballet I'll Fly For You
Specials Ghost Town
Bruce Springsteen I'm On Fire
Edwin Starr War
Status Quo In The Army Now
Status Quo Burning Bridges
Cat Stevens I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun
Rod Stewart Sailing
Donna Summer State Of Independence
Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Temptations Ball Of Confusion
10 CC Rubber Bullets
Stevie Wonder Heaven Help Us All

Rocklist.net...Banned Recordings...

Had this been more widely publicised I would imagine that the 2+ million who marched in February 2003 may have been down to single figures...

Had this been more widely publicised I would imagine that the 2+ million who marched in February 2003 may have been down to single figures...
perhaps we could have arranged for collins and the other members of genesis to be taken out and shot in '03. or dropped onto baghdad

the only umbrage i took was the gross delay between my posting substantiating material and your acknowledgement of same: for which i am still waiting.

Perhaps you should bear in mind that not everyone is chained to their computer or commenting on Urban continuously all day. Some of us are occasionally allowed to engage in other activities.

Sorry if you're not one of them, but don't assume that everyone is constantly waiting to acknowledge your every posting as soon as you post it.

Perhaps you should bear in mind that not everyone is chained to their computer or commenting on Urban continuously all day. Some of us are occasionally allowed to engage in other activities.

Sorry if you're not one of them, but don't assume that everyone is constantly waiting to acknowledge your every posting as soon as you post it.
yes. but you asked me a question then ignore my answers while praising someone else's: so don't give me that tosh, your lies are sadly not worth the effort of invention.

After '97 it looked unlikely that the Tories could ever get back in power & now it looks like Labour will never get back into power, meanwhile house prices continue to rise beyond the reach of most first time buyers & no housing for affordable controlled rents is being built, the Tories offer no solution. This model appears unsustainable long term. Meanwhile older folk live comfortably on pensions in paid for houses & they vote Tory of course. Eventually the balance must change, it will be a few years yet but nobody lives forever.

BFBS banned moving on up as it might give the iraqis a clue about troop movements :D

The fact that during desert storm you could have given the iraqi's the entire battle plan timetableand a handy set of hints and it wpuldnt have made any diffrence but nobody realised how woefully incompentent they were.

After '97 it looked unlikely that the Tories could ever get back in power...

I really can't agree with that statement. By 2001 the gloss was already off, and the majority shrank. By 2005 it was obvious that the next election (whether it was Brown going to the country after taking over, or a wait until 2010) was going to be tough.

& now it looks like Labour will never get back into power, meanwhile house prices continue to rise beyond the reach of most first time buyers & no housing for affordable controlled rents is being built, the Tories offer no solution. This model appears unsustainable long term. Meanwhile older folk live comfortably on pensions in paid for houses & they vote Tory of course. Eventually the balance must change, it will be a few years yet but nobody lives forever.

In our local paper (the midweek edition of the South London Press), Lambeth's (Labour) "cabinet member for housing" (emphasis on "member") Cllr Matthew Bennett was rhapsodising about "truly affordable housing" being developed in Lambeth, and how "normal people" would be able to afford it.
This "truly affordable housing" was for sale at 30% below market price. Here in Lambeth (where average (mean) household income is about £14,000) that means a 2-bed flat is somewhere between £150,000-250,000 minimum, so knock off 30% and you've got £105,000-£175,000 - an amount way beyond most of Lambeth's "normal people", who are not going to find a mortgage broker prepared to loan them 8-12x salary.

Back
Top Bottom