Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

These questions about the end of the UK lockdown in the No 10 press conference are a waste of a question, we still haven't seen a peak in any of the measurements, and it won't be until cases are so low as to be manageable with testing and contact tracing that any sort of a significant lifting of the restrictions will take place. We are a long way from that.

Has anything else happened about this part of the story?
This from today.

I haven't seen any more about it. Both elbows and I were a little unsure about its likely veracity, e.g. I am 55, I had the BCG and I think most/many people of my generation had it. I suspect people older than me may have been more rather than less likely to have had the BCG given TB occurred more in their lifetimes than mine.

That isn't to day that there is no mileage in it, but I haven't seen anything more about it yet ..

eta, just seen the above & going to read it .. :)

I haven't seen any more about it. Both elbows and I were a little unsure about its likely veracity, e.g. I am 55, I had the BCG and I think most/many people of my generation had it. I suspect people older than me may have been more rather than less likely to have had the BCG given TB occurred more in their lifetimes than mine.

That isn't to day that there is no mileage in it, but I haven't seen anything more about it yet .. off to google for a moment ..
Still got the scar to prove mine. Looking it up, it only stopped for everyone here in 2005. It's those now least likely to die from c19 that haven't had bcg. Sounds like an odd mechanism if it protects societies that still do it - preventing children from transmitting it would be the only explanation I could think of.

I am more encouraged by blood transfusions from people who have recovered (and have antibodies) to those still infected, in NY they are requesting blood donations from people who can prove they have recovered from covid-19, for this purpose. Well iirc their wording was possibly for this purpose.

detail here COVID-19 in America

Last edited:
Galway system: Two patients treated from one ventilator

A medical device company in Galway has designed a new system to enable two patients to be treated safely from one ventilator.

The Inspire Team, based at NUIG, is hoping the system can be replicated globally as an emergency response to ventilator shortages.

Scientists, clinicians and engineers have been collaborating intensively to develop a safe way of sharing a ventilator between two patients.

For the first time they will now be able to monitor the volume of breath going to each individual.

The system is being made available to health services globally on galwayventshare.com and it has been designed so that it can be replicated using medically approved ventilator equipment.

The design is particularly effective for people with lung disease or respiratory illness.

The new ventilation system is very much a rapid response to life and death situations during Covid-19.

Earlier in the day, Dr Fauci told CNN that officials are currently discussing whether to adopt immunity certificates for Americans who have safely survived the coronavirus and have antibodies in their blood to prove it.

The certificates might "have some merit under certain circumstances", he said, adding that antibody tests would be available next week.
from 10/04/2020 Outbreak 'levelling off' in US, says Dr Fauci

These questions about the end of the UK lockdown in the No 10 press conference are a waste of a question, we still haven't seen a peak in any of the measurements, and it won't be until cases are so low as to be manageable with testing and contact tracing that any sort of a significant lifting of the restrictions will take place. We are a long way from that.

No, I think that we did such a poor and shambolic effort leading in to lockdown, and in many ways almost seemed to arrive in lockdown by chance or accident, that it is exactly now that the government need to start telling us their plan for getting everyone back out. We absolutely failed at contact testing on the way into this mess, and I want to know how that's going to be addressed and improved on. The UK is going to need a shitload of tests, and infrastructure for testing, and a proper plan, none of which are things they've shown evidence of being capable of arranging so far. I think now is exactly the time we should be placing pressure on them to produce a coherent way out of this.

One more datapoint for total number of infected: the very latest Imperial modelling suggests the total number of infected in the UK is currently around about 3±1 million (95% credible interval). This being a fairly small percentage of the population indicates (a) how effective lockdown probably has been (see plunge in the model output plot below), but also (b) how herd immunity won't be achieved anytime soon.
UKcasesICmodel.png
(blue bands are infections with 50% and 95% CI; brown bars are reported infections aka cases testing positive).

Which brings us to: various modellers are mulling over social distancing measures being ratcheted up and down repeatedly, on and off for the next 1 to 2 years, with half that time overall spent in a tighter lockdown. (Not entirely surprising since a vaccine exit strategy is most probably at least a year, if not up to two years away).

Last edited:
Which brings us to: various modellers are mulling over social distancing measures being ratcheted up and down repeatedly, on and off for the next 1 to 2 years, with half that time overall spent in a tighter lockdown. (Not entirely surprising since a vaccine exit strategy is most probably at least a year, if not up to two years away).

I can fully understand why ratcheting measures up and down could work.
But is it even possible, policy wise, to insist on up to a year in total of full-on lockdown?
The "on and off" application of it would probably end up provoking greater levels of dissent and disobedience, I'd have thought.
I suppose I'm just querying the practicalities there.

Maybe the questions to ask before deciding on the above policy should be :
How close are we ever going to get in the UK to effective, easily available antibody testing?
And how close (and soon) are we going to get to widespread, general, diagnostic testing?

Once we have some idea of the answers to the latter two questions, and the likely outcomes, we can more easily (?) compare and contrast the merits/demerits of widespread testing compared to the idea of continued on/off lockdown for up to two years ....

Maybe we'd need to combine elements of both together ....... :hmm:

I've also been wondering whether there's going to be some kind of centralized quarantine set up for those entering the UK, as many countries have instituted over the last month. There's not a whole lot of point everyone doing this lockdown if the virus keeps being brought back in. But again, centralized quarantines will require testing in great quantity.

I've also been wondering whether there's going to be some kind of centralized quarantine set up for those entering the UK, as many countries have instituted over the last month. There's not a whole lot of point everyone doing this lockdown if the virus keeps being brought back in. But again, centralized quarantines will require testing in great quantity.

Yes, there's a massive question over managing it internally within countries, but a whole other issue about managing it with travel between countries in the medium to long term. I can't see how that is going to return to the previous 'normal' state at any point soon at all. Maybe that will be an area where immunity passports (literally) will be used more.

Yes, there's a massive question over managing it internally within countries, but a whole other issue about managing it with travel between countries in the medium to long term. I can't see how that is going to return to the previous 'normal' state at any point soon at all. Maybe that will be an area where immunity passports (literally) will be used more.

There still seem to be flights going to/coming in from places like New York which I find surprising.

Maybe we'd need to combine elements of both together ....... :hmm:

I think this is the inevitable conclusion... It's actually what most of the East Asian countries that have seen success in restricting the disease are doing. E.g Korea has done a mix of regional shutdowns (where the major outbreak with the church happened), combined with some shutdowns of e.g teaching, gyms etc. But bear in mind they were able to limit a great deal of spread early, our new starting point is going to be much harder to predict. So it's not as if test and trace alone is effective. And it also means fairly invasive use of technology.

For me the situation as we have it now, with some phases of softer lockdown, maybe some harder should be sustainable. Problem is it needs a much better campaign of communication and consistent rules. And supplies of PPE, not just for NHS but for shop workers etc (and training).

Kind of hope the optimistic models of widespread infection were right, but seems to be panning out as single digits up to around 15% infection rates. Bearing in mind that the 15% was from a town in Germany that had confirmed transmission at a carnival (Gangelt study).

Back
Top Bottom