Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Apologies if this is not the relevant thread.

What would you, good folks, do if you had a week booked in Tuscany for the end of April, would you cancel it? I still have the time to cancel but I really don't want to.

Thank you
No idea, sorry. Only thing I'd say is, as things stand, there's relatively little risk from going and being affected by the actual virus. The bigger issue would be if in another few weeks things got worse they started closing airports or banning travel. So it would be more an issue of making sure you don't lose your money/checking your insurance policy. We were thinking of trying to get in week in Fuertaventura around the same time so will be thinking about the same issues.

No idea, sorry. Only thing I'd say is, as things stand, there's relatively little risk from going and being affected by the actual virus. The bigger issue would be if in another few weeks things got worse they started closing airports or banning travel. So it would be more an issue of making sure you don't lose your money/checking your insurance policy. We were thinking of trying to get in week in Fuertaventura around the same time so will be thinking about the same issues.

Appreciate your advice, Wilf. I think I am going to cancel tomorrow morning. This was going to be a walking holiday and at first I was like, no way I am cancelling this, it'll blow over, but after keeping an eye for over a week on the FCO's website and seeing people stuck in hotels, I realised that I can't possibly afford being stuck somewhere.

Sadly I got by never buying travel insurance, maybe it's time to start taking a different approach.

We’re also booked for Fuertaventura in April for 10 days. Feels pretty sketchy but kids are really excited and don’t think we can get a full refund unless the govt advise against flying there.

Appreciate your advice, Wilf. I think I am going to cancel tomorrow morning. This was going to be a walking holiday and at first I was like, no way I am cancelling this, it'll blow over, but after keeping an eye for over a week on the FCO's website and seeing people stuck in hotels, I realised that I can't possibly afford being stuck somewhere.

Sadly I got by never buying travel insurance, maybe it's time to start taking a different approach.
:(

Azathiropone at a minimum for crohns.

I’m also on allopurinol to supplement it.

I'm on azathioprine too. Plus prednisolone.
Was warned not to take alloplurinol as interaction with azathioprine. My da is on alloplurinol so when I'm at my parent's place I've to keep my meds in my bag. Just in case there's a mix up.

Last edited:
Went to the shop earlier to buy disinfectant. Got the last 2 bottles of dettol spray.
Only one case so far in all Ireland. A woman who flew in from Italy to Dublin airport and then travelled on to Belfast. Apparently aer lingus only notified the people 2 rows in front and 2 rows behind her on the plane to go into quarantine. And the cabin crew.

Why not contact everyone on the plane??

Interesting article about people getting reinfected after being given the all clear. Is it biphasic or are they not being tested properly before discharge?

Paul Hunter, a professor of medicine at Britain’s University of East Anglia who has been closely following the outbreak, told Reuters that although the patient in Osaka could have relapsed, it is also possible that the virus was still being released into her system from the initial infection, and she wasn’t tested properly before she was discharged.

A Journal of the American Medical Association study of four infected medical personnel treated in Wuhan, the epicenter of the epidemic, said it was likely that some recovered patients would remain carriers even after meeting discharge criteria.

Song Tie, vice director of the local disease control center in southern China’s Guangdong province, told a media briefing on Wednesday that as many as 14% of discharged patients in the province have tested positive again and had returned to hospitals for observation.

He said one good sign is that none of those patients appear to have infected anyone else.

“From this understanding ... after someone has been infected by this kind of virus, he will produce antibodies, and after these antibodies are produced, he won’t be contagious,” he said.

In response to people asking if they should still travel internationally over the coming weeks, as someone who flew to South Korea when cases were still low, to get away from the situation in China, but then, when cases abruptly skyrocketed, had to pretty much lock down in a hotel room there until we could fly to England, I would not travel internationally again at this point. The space between everything being fine and everything being fucked and borders closing and flights being cancelled is very short and very frightening. I've been in two countries where that happened now and I'm a nervous wreck.

Edit - I would fly into China if they'd have me, but nowhere else now.

In response to people asking if they should still travel internationally over the coming weeks, as someone who flew to South Korea when cases were still low, to get away from the situation in China, but then, when cases abruptly skyrocketed, had to pretty much lock down in a hotel room there until we could fly to England, I would not travel internationally again at this point. The space between everything being fine and everything being fucked and borders closing and flights being cancelled is very short and very frightening. I've been in two countries where that happened now and I'm a nervous wreck.

struggling to see the logic of not flying internationally unless it was the Middle Kingdom

struggling to see the logic of not flying internationally unless it was the Middle Kingdom

Because I live in China. My things are there. My life is there. And at the moment, I can't get back in without being taken away by the Center of Prevention and Control of Disease because I've been in South Korea. I'm just hoping and hoping I can make it through two weeks in England without it becoming the next country China doesn't want visitors from. If we'd gone to Vietnam instead of South Korea, we'd be home by now. :facepalm: But by the time that was apparent, Vietnam didn't want visitors from South Korea either.

Because I live in China. My things are there. My life is there. And at the moment, I can't get back in without being taken away by the Center of Prevention and Control of Disease because I've been in South Korea. I'm just hoping and hoping I can make it through two weeks in England without it becoming the next country China doesn't want visitors from. If we'd gone to Vietnam instead of South Korea, we'd be home by now. :facepalm: But by the time that was apparent, Vietnam didn't want visitors from South Korea either.

Isn’t China locked down though?

Also you should count yourself lucky that you are able to travel without hinderence and sit it out for a period. One poor fella passed away and his Grandson was left eating biscuits all alone.

not bothering going to Spain this year

just not worth the stress ....

On the flip side My gardens going to get a new shed

Isn’t China locked down though?

Not in the way you think, no. Hubei province is locked down. Some places are almost up and running. Most places outside Hubei, you can leave your apartment, even if most things bar supermarkets have been closed, and it never stopped being that way. The whole country was never under house arrest, there were just very heavy measures for social distancing. My local pilates studio just got permission to offer 1-1 classes as of this week. My hairdresser is allowed to take three clients a day, with no overlap. Our local shopping mall is open from 10- 16:00 every day now. Ironically, China is probably safe now. They've been through the worst. We were on vacation in China when this virus broke out. We went back to our apartment to get some stuff, but then headed out of the country. I haven't been properly home since 12th January.

Not in the way you think, no. Hubei province is locked down. Some places are almost up and running. Most places outside Hubei, you can leave your apartment, even if most things bar supermarkets have been closed, and it never stopped being that way. The whole country was never under house arrest, there were just very heavy measures for social distancing. My local pilates studio just got permission to offer 1-1 classes as of this week. My hairdresser is allowed to take three clients a day, with no overlap. Our local shopping mall is open from 10- 16:00 every day now. Ironically, China is probably safe now. They've been through the worst. We were on vacation in China when this virus broke out. We went back to our apartment to get some stuff, but then headed out of the country. I haven't been properly home since 12th January.

I hope that the worst has come to pass, all the best for you and yours.

What would you, good folks, do if you had a week booked in Tuscany for the end of April, would you cancel it? I still have the time to cancel but I really don't want to.
Wait until the end of the cancellation window to make a decision; the situation is very dynamic. By then airlines or authorities may have solved it for you (flight suspensions, travel bans) and you could recover money via refunds and/or insurance.
Travel insurance is one of the few I bother buying. Lots of factors are beyond your control when travelling and costs always have the potential to spiral.

We’re also booked for Fuertaventura in April for 10 days. Feels pretty sketchy but kids are really excited and don’t think we can get a full refund unless the govt advise against flying there.

Not just for you, but for all of us with holiday trips booked it’s going to be worth checking the cancellation policy and noting if there are time bands affecting the refund amount. Eg cancel more than 60 days before travel, get 75% back. 45-60 days before travel, 50% refund and less than 45 days only 25%.

I have a trip to Spain lined up for late May and have to make my go/no go choice by late March if I’m to limit the damage to just losing 25% of the booking amount. Taking it to the wire and finding out at the last minute that travel just isn’t possible and the travel insurance doesn’t cover pandemics under the “force majeure” clause does not appeal to me much.

And I know some people are going to think I’m being ridiculous and that of course people can still fly off on their summer hols later this year, but I wouldn’t count on it. I don’t think there are many Chinese taking foreign holidays at the moment, and they’re only 8-10 weeks ahead of us in this thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom