Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

This is why it’s wrong for people to be looking at the stats which show only 14 UK cases and concluding there’s no ongoing outbreak within UK. It can be, and I would say it’s likely to be the case that there’s uncontrolled onward transmission happening in most countries now, and that we’ll only see the numbers which back that up in a few weeks time.
Dont worry, there is a new method for detecting the presence of the virus. Just listen for the knock! :facepalm:

The World Health Organization (WHO) called on countries on Tuesday to boost their readiness against coronavirus, saying the virus is “literally knocking at the door”.

Many countries have “pandemic plans” ready and some may act upon them depending on their situation, but at the moment the WHO itself does not plan another “big announcement” such as when it declared an international emergency on Jan. 30, Lindmeier said.

In related news, I feel a rant about World Bank pandemic bonds coming on.

I see the Guardian have been talking to 'sources' and poking around the existing influenza pandemic plan.

The existing influenza plan demonstrates how the UK normally has no stomach for internal travel restrictions or the cancellation of mass public gatherings. I wonder if this will change or, if not, how the disparity between that and actions taken in other countries will be explained. Still, this may be less of an issue depending on timing and whether any other countries demonstrate a different approach, more like the one the UK normally favours, first.

Interesting to see a little bit of timing mentioned too. I wonder how this will stand the test of time.

This is what I recieved, and a brief deceiphering of the reply from another official
I remember it because my nephew had it aged just 8 weeks and was the youngest kid in Yorkshire to get it at that time. Tamiflu worked, but fucking hell it was scary at the time as he was very poorly.

One of our number here died from Swine Flue, though due to other complications,

I just get the impression that it's loose. Human to many human transmission is occurring. I'm a bit bothered having a pre existing condition.

Totally agree. I just can't see how it can't be widespread already. Also its fully understandable why anyone in a high risk group is worried.

Is there a summary of how long it lasts on surfaces, how it can be killed (temperatures?), how to protect against transmission etc? A bit early to ask for the UK yet but worth knowing I think.

Back
Top Bottom