Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Two articles --- both today, Wednesday 17th March -- from Pulse magazine, which is pretty good IMO.

First one was linked to upthread :

Pulse headline said:
GPs dealing with fallout from suspension of AstraZeneca vaccine in Europe

Second one has not -- I don't think -- been highlighted on Urban, and IMO is even better :

Pulse headline said:
The A to Z of how to create a moral panic

ETA : Bollocks! :mad:
I'm just picking up that you appear to need to be a GMC-registered Doctor to read Pulse articles in full :( -- disappointing, because they're both really good, and I was able to get at the full text of both at first :confused:

Maybe somone else on here has an access-tip or two .... that would be great :)

Looks like a "heart condition" rather than Covid according to Sky. Couldn't possibly be Covid given that, as we all know, Covid has been magically banished from Tanzania through prayer, right? If only we'd thought of that in the west!

Not trying to be coy about it, but a friend of a cousin of my blacksmith's dog who works for an NGO out there said he died at least a week ago and definitely of covid, so this seems like the cover-up. I dare say a heart condition was the best thing the prayers could come up with.

Didn't want to blab until it was published but thinking about it, I should have got myself an easy win on the death pool thread.

Part of the reason I made reference to the president of Burundi's death was that his too was 'described as a heart attack'. And shit attitudes towards the pandemic had come from the top there too. In that case suspicions were also raised because a rumour previously got out that his wife had received treatment abroad for Covid-19 in the period leading up to his sudden and unexpected death.

Prof Rosemary Boyton and Prof Daniel Altmann, from Imperial College London, say in a commentary in the journal that the findings are sobering because case reports have previously suggested that reinfection is extremely rare. In that light, “many will find the data reported … about protection through natural infection relatively alarming,” they write. “Only 80% protection from reinfection in general, decreasing to 47% in people aged 65 years and older are more concerning figures than offered by previous studies.”

They say the study reinforces the case for mass immunisation programmes – to include those who have contracted Covid in the past.

“These data are all confirmation, if it were needed, that for Sars-CoV-2 the hope of protective immunity through natural infections might not be within our reach and a global vaccination programme with high efficacy vaccines is the enduring solution,” they write.

Two articles --- both today, Wednesday 17th March -- from Pulse magazine, which is pretty good IMO.

First one was linked to upthread :

Second one has not -- I don't think -- been highlighted on Urban, and IMO is even better :

ETA : Bollocks! :mad:
I'm just picking up that you appear to need to be a GMC-registered Doctor to read Pulse articles in full :( -- disappointing, because they're both really good, and I was able to get at the full text of both at first :confused:

Maybe somone else on here has an access-tip or two .... that would be great :)

You can read them by using a private browser window.

Last edited:
I fully support vaccination for vulnarable people and those in contact with them but I understand the reluctance to jab everyone. Perhaps I would be on board with that if air travel hadn't carried on throughout or track and trace was ever utilised.
Perhaps even using this period to roll out a program of general health education instead we got deliveroo and the murderous eat out to spread covid.
You look at the middle classes jogging every day and see the pandemic for what it is an attack on the workers. Get jabbed and carry on I don't agree with anti. Vax sentiment but entirely not surprised or remotely shocked by it.

Magufuli was a bullying autocrat, up to his neck in political oppression. One of those rare instances where a covid denier in a position of responsibility copped the blowback.

Might sound heartless, but as someone who feels close to Tanzania I can only be glad about his demise.

Couldn't agree more.

This is particularly schadenfreude because of how Tanzania (him) denied Covid after a couple of months (the ultimate in shit politics) and his government have been denying he is even ill up until yesterday and had even started to arrest people for sharing stuff on the internet saying he was ill.

Couldn't agree more.

This is particularly schadenfreude because of how Tanzania (him) denied Covid after a couple of months (the ultimate in shit politics) and his government have been denying he is even ill up until yesterday and had even started to arrest people for sharing stuff on the internet saying he was ill.

No free journalism in TZ and anyone can become a victim of the pernicious Cybercrimes Act :(

Says it's safe and effective,

"Its benefits to protect from Covid-19, and the associated risks in terms of deaths and hospitalizations, outweigh all the risks."

but they'll tweak the side effects sheets and warn doctors to look out for it ...

I'm not sure that will be enough though

but they'll tweak the side effects sheets and warn doctors to look out for it ...

I'm not sure that will be enough though
There are anti vac movements in Europe ; France has a long history of it Holland and Germany too but it's not an issue in many EU states. However, the intentional or otherwise lets bash AZ may add to that. Biggest problem with vaccines in the EU is that despite the supply problems many states are sitting on as many vaccines as they have administered. Here in Portugal medical records and IT systems are simply out of date , in some areas they've been calling up dead people or those that have emigrated to be vaccinated.

Last edited:
Doing nothing is also bad for public confidence - one of the reasons authorities like to be seen as taking a cautious, precautionary approach is to maintain public confidence, not be accused of covering things up, not get in shit later if there is an issue.

And on that note whatever the bad consequences fo the recent scare, at least it created a situation where we had a UK press conference where they went into some detail and also warned people to seek help if they have a headache that lasts 4+ days after vaccination, bruising away from the vaccination site etc.

Sounds like the US may have invoked the Defence Production Act for some materials. Not seen it in the news but there has been worries about key materials used and capacity. Some of them are only made in single factories worldwide and if based in US this could be the problem.

Sounds like the US may have invoked the Defence Production Act for some materials. Not seen it in the news but there has been worries about key materials used and capacity. Some of them are only made in single factories worldwide and if based in US this could be the problem.

It was another story from earlier in March that I missed at the time but then kept finding when I was looking for other stuff relating to the Serum Institute of India. eg:

:hmm:
constant or intermittent ?

I can only say what was said in the press conference yesterday, and point towards the official MHRA statement. I wish I could add more detail but I cannot, I dont have any.

While we continue to investigate these cases, as a precautionary measure we would advise anyone with a headache that lasts for more than 4 days after vaccination, or bruising beyond the site of vaccination after a few days, to seek medical attention.

There are bottlenecks (eg single providers) in a number of the vaccines. Notably mRNA capping agents (one company in the US).

Needs no additional comment.
EwxND-ZWgAgIT7s

Back
Top Bottom