Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Just because a country/government fucks up almost everything it touches is no reason to deny it's few successes, this one may just be 90% luck, but there it is.
I see as much Propaganda in here as I do in any right-leaning forum/website.
I'm not denying it's successes.

The UK actively kept prices of the vaccines higher than they should have been for developing countries. And they may have committed to supplying some but those vaccines aren't getting to those countries yet because we are monopolising them. Do not very yay us.

That's not strictly true, what the UK did, together with most western countries including the US & EU block, was to vote to protect patents, had we voted against it, it would have made different to the outcome.

WTO decisions are normally reached through consensus. Dozens of low-income and middle-income countries (LMICs) support the proposal. However, HICs including the UK, the USA, Canada, Norway, and the EU have rejected it outright, saying that the IP system is required to incentivise new inventions of vaccines, diagnostics, and treatments, which might dry up in its absence. They dismiss the claim that IP is a barrier to access, and argue that equitable access can be achieved through voluntary licensing, technology transfer arrangements, and the donor-funded COVAX Advance Market Commitment for vaccines.

An EU spokesperson said: “There is no evidence that IP rights in any way hamper access to COVID-19-related medicines and technologies.” The UK Government declared that the world urgently needs access to these new products to fight the pandemic, “which is why a strong and robust multilateral IP system that can meet this challenge is vital”. The UK, by far the largest funder of the COVAX Facility, urges other countries to contribute more.

LINK

What we went on to do is contribute millions to the COVAX fund, and as Sunray has just pointed out, came to an agreement with AZ to sell at cost price to ensure the maximum number of doses can be delivered to poorer countries. The AZ vaccine is being manufactured all over the world, so poorer countries will be getting it from various supply lines fairly quickly, with the UK factories contributing more supplies in time.

Unlike the vaccine produced by Pfizer-BioNTech, which requires ultra-cold storage, the AstraZeneca vaccine can be kept in the kind of conventional fridge used to store vaccines around the world, with a shelf life of up to six months.

Also unlike the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, AstraZeneca’s experimental vaccine is already a part of Covax, the global initiative that is hoping to distribute about 2bn doses to 92 low- and middle-income countries at a maximum cost of $3 a dose.

LINK

Sadly, we can't vaccinate the whole world within a few months, but the UK has been a leader in ensuring poorer countries get it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Just because a country/government fucks up almost everything it touches is no reason to deny it's few successes, this one may just be 90% luck, but there it is.
I see as much Propaganda in here as I do in any right-leaning forum/website.

Sadly 100,000 deaths means nobody gives a shit about this, they failed hard. Id jail them so people realise failure has consequences.

That's not strictly true, what the UK did, together with most western countries including the US & EU block, was to vote to protect patents, had we voted against it, it would have made different to the outcome.

What we went on to do is contribute millions to the COVAX fund, and as Sunray has just pointed out, came to an agreement with AZ to sell at cost price to ensure the maximum number of doses can be delivered to poorer countries. The AZ vaccine is being manufactured all over the world, so poorer countries will be getting it from various supply lines fairly quickly, with the UK factories contributing more supplies in time.

Sadly, we can't vaccinate the whole world within a few months, but the UK has been a leader in ensuring poorer countries get it as soon as possible.
So at the end of the day we made sure that the market is protected and then gave some charity to the developing nations, as long as they don't mind waiting and dying an extra 4 months while we vaccinate the west. Lots of moral issues here, don't see where we are absolved.

France
No lockdown yet.
No entry from outside the EU except in a major emergency
Entry from other EU country dependent on a negative PCR test (except for crfossborder workers)
both the above from Sunday morning
non food shopping centre ov er 20 000 square meters to be closed from Monday (I saw some silly pictures of those the other days as it's the January sales at the moment)
more WFH to be facilitated
more control and enforcement of curfew rules

Been looking at Google Maps' covid-19 overlay, which shows the average number of new cases per 100k people for the past 7 days in each area, depending on how far you zoom in or out.

Wtf is going on in Montenegro? It seems to be second in the world, with 74.4 and rising, behind Spain (77.1; wtf is going on in Spain).
Screenshot_20210131-062838.png

The map also shows data for Africa, which most other outlets seem to completely ignore. Lots of zeros and <1s.
Screenshot_20210131-062908.png

Been looking at Google Maps' covid-19 overlay, which shows the average number of new cases per 100k people for the past 7 days in each area, depending on how far you zoom in or out.

Wtf is going on in Montenegro? It seems to be second in the world, with 74.4 and rising, behind Spain (77.1; wtf is going on in Spain).
View attachment 252137

The map also shows data for Africa, which most other outlets seem to completely ignore. Lots of zeros and <1s.
View attachment 252138
Oh. I didn't notice that some countries weren't showing. Portugal, for instance.
Screenshot_20210131-101000.png
:eek:

So we have haven't had a single case of community transmission in Western Australia since April. Until today! A security guard in a quarantine hotel tested positive, and it looks like he has caught the UK variant. So from 6pm tonight most of the state has gone into hard 5 day lockdown. We have to wear masks for the first time! The supermarkets and bottle shops this arvo were packed! Anyway, lets hope it works, I'm very happy to WFH for a bit but really hope we can get things under control quickly.

Much of Western Australia goes into five-day lockdown after hotel guard tests positive to UK Covid variant | Australia news | The Guardian

So we have haven't had a single case of community transmission in Western Australia since April. Until today! A security guard in a quarantine hotel tested positive, and it looks like he has caught the UK variant. So from 6pm tonight most of the state has gone into hard 5 day lockdown. We have to wear masks for the first time! The supermarkets and bottle shops this arvo were packed! Anyway, lets hope it works, I'm very happy to WFH for a bit but really hope we can get things under control quickly.

Much of Western Australia goes into five-day lockdown after hotel guard tests positive to UK Covid variant | Australia news | The Guardian

Strong action, I'm surprised that the security guards aren't kept on site to prevent onward transmission though.

Y
Strong action, I'm surprised that the security guards aren't kept on site to prevent onward transmission though.
Yes our state Premier, Mark McGowan went hard and fast from the start, shutting the state border very quickly, and going against that buffoon Scott Morrison. During the first lockdown they used Rottnest island just off the coast of Perth to quarantine people, but then they started using the city hotels, which is clearly a weak spot. Apparently the security guard was also an Uber driver, but luckily he hadn't been driving when he was infectious. Or so they claim, he did visit a few garages so I have my doubts. Anyway, they have published a list of everywhere he visited for the two days he was infectious and people are out testing in their droves. All we can do now is wait, and hope.

I mean security guards are people too... You could do short-term rotors I suppose.
Indeed - couple of weeks on site and test them before leaving, somewhat like oil rig workers? Would have to provide them with good quality accomodation. Having a taxi driver as security guard does seem a bit lax though.

Very interesting stats about school closures worldwide. The UK is actually one of the places where schools haven't been shut for so long, we're kind of in the mid range:

schoolclose.jpg

Yes our state Premier, Mark McGowan went hard and fast from the start, shutting the state border very quickly, and going against that buffoon Scott Morrison. During the first lockdown they used Rottnest island just off the coast of Perth to quarantine people, but then they started using the city hotels, which is clearly a weak spot. Apparently the security guard was also an Uber driver, but luckily he hadn't been driving when he was infectious. Or so they claim, he did visit a few garages so I have my doubts. Anyway, they have published a list of everywhere he visited for the two days he was infectious and people are out testing in their droves. All we can do now is wait, and hope.

This is what happened in Brisbane first week of January. The quarantine hotel cleaner had been out and about in the community for 6 days before she was diagnosed . Hard lockdown for 5 days, 2 weeks of masks and then everything back to usual covid rules. And I don't actually think anyone else tested positive from that case! It was the uk variant though, and led to an instant rule change re no retuning to Aus without a negative test ( keeping the usual 14 day quarantine as well) plus talk of moving quarantine hotels into empty mining camps out west.

Meanwhile the government has said..

Screenshot_20210201-072515.png

Very interesting stats about school closures worldwide. The UK is actually one of the places where schools haven't been shut for so long, we're kind of in the mid range:

View attachment 252229
Why does the mask pictured in that article look so grim?!

(It won't let me take a link, so screenshot.)
Screenshot_20210131-224726.png

That's what mine look like if I've had make up on.
Ah. I wear makeup about once a decade, so it didn't occur to me.

Doesn't it feel weird putting a mask on top of makeup? Weirder than putting a mask on at all, I mean :)

Ah. I wear makeup about once a decade, so it didn't occur to me.

Doesn't it feel weird putting a mask on top of makeup? Weirder than putting a mask on at all, I mean :)
No. I mean I've been wearing a mask regularly since last March. It's compulsory in Turkey as soon as you go outside so got used to it. I actually like to do a little eye make up when I'm wearing a mask for teaching.

Lockdown partially over in most of Italy from today. 15 out of 20 regions are in yellow zone, equivalent to Tier 1, where bars and restaurants and museums can open but only until 6pm - - like, you can go inside and sit down and stuff. Nationwide curfew at 10pm remains. Régions still in orange zone : Sicily, Umbria, Puglia, sardinia and South tyrol.

Spolier : this will last a week or two as cases will inevitably shoot up again, in our never ending lockdown merry go round.

I'm not that arsed about restaurants cos I don't have anyone to go with anyway but I will definitely be having a coffee and sitting down and drinking it inside with a croissant very soon.

Back
Top Bottom