Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Maximum of 12 month immunity seems quite likely.

Maximum of 12 month immunity seems quite likely.

Obviously its speculation but that's not necessarily bad news. At least it implies there is a level of immunity gained even if its relatively short lasting. I guess the potential is there for any future vaccine to be done on a year by year basis just as the flu jab is now. In fact it may even be included in the flu jab.

Urgency was needed, according to the government, given that Monday is a national holiday, and this weekend is a time when Madrileños would usually be heading out to their second residences or to the coast or countryside. “We must avoid the virus from spreading out of control this holiday weekend,” Illa explained.

The National Police and the Civil Guard deployed 7,000 officers in different parts of Madrid on Friday afternoon, in order to ensure that the new restrictions were observed. The checkpoints were not just located on freeways heading in and out of Madrid, but also at the city’s Barajas Airport and at train stations, according to police sources cited by EFE.

You know Spain has problems when they resort to using the UK as an example to follow!

Illa pointed to cities such as Paris, and countries such as the United Kingdom and Germany, that are currently implementing strict coronavirus measures with much lower infection rates than Madrid.

I don't think France is an example to follow tbh
And infections seem to be lowering in Spain today
Paris hospitals move into emergency mode amid rise in Covid-19 patients
Hospitals in the Paris region have moved into emergency mode, cancelling staff holidays and postponing non-essential operations, as coronavirus patients made up close to half of all patients in intensive care units (ICUs).

Health authorities on Wednesday reported a record 24-hour rise in new Covid-19 infections, with almost 19,000 additional cases reported as the number of people in ICUs nationwide stood at around 1,400, levels last seen in late May.

“Given the pressure on emergency room beds and regular hospital beds, I have asked medical institutions in the region to activate their emergency plan to mobilise all resources and anticipate the coming days,” Paris region health director, Aurelien Rousseau, said.

Two days ago, Rousseau said the number of Covid-19 patients in ICUs had already risen above 40% and called on citizens to further reduce their interactions in order to reduce infections and lower pressure on the hospital system.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, said on Wednesday that further limits on movement would be necessary to contain the resurgent epidemic, although he reiterated that a general lockdown was not on the cards.

France Inter radio reported on Thursday that Lyon, Lille, Grenoble and Saint-Étienne would be put on maximum Covid-19 alert, paving the way for new restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus in those cities.

Health minister Olivier Véran will announce the decision at a news conference on Thursday evening, it said on its website.

Paris and Marseille are already on maximum alert. This has resulted in bars in the capital having to close for two weeks, and restaurants have had to set up new sanitary protocols to stay open.

France has the ninth-highest Covid-19 death toll in the world, with 32,445 casualties.

I don't think France is an example to follow tbh
And infections seem to be lowering in Spain today

I think they were desperately looking for examples of countries taking recent action to control virus resurgence, rather than countries that were doing well in other ways. Which still makes the UK an odd choice! I guess they chose Paris because of recent restrictions imposed because of the situation you have just described.

The number of suicides rose in Japan in August due to more women and school-aged children taking their own lives — offering a first glimpse into the consequences of the mental health strain brought about by COVID-19 around the globe.

A grim look into the future of things to come. I would be happy to be under full lockdown and hibernate until the pandemic passes, but this article reminds me that there are a lot of people out there under tremendous stress in dire situations. :(

The number of suicides rose in Japan in August due to more women and school-aged children taking their own lives — offering a first glimpse into the consequences of the mental health strain brought about by COVID-19 around the globe.

A grim look into the future of things to come. I would be happy to be under full lockdown and hibernate until the pandemic passes, but this article reminds me that there are a lot of people out there under tremendous stress in dire situations. :(
India too....ive never been there, i know its hard at the best of times but sounds really grim now. This isnt a great article, but gives an idea
Suicides rise after virus puts squeeze on India’s middle class

Manu and Jeena started working at one of India’s top IT companies on the same day two years ago, brimming with enthusiasm as they embarked on their careers. But as the months went by, Manu watched Jeena, a kind woman in her mid-20s with striking almond-shaped eyes, growing increasingly stressed at work. The coronavirus pandemic only intensified the pressure: their monthly salary of about Rs17k ($231) was cut by 11 per cent, while some employees were “benched” with no work. In May, after not working for weeks, Jeena committed suicide. “She died in despair over losing her job,” said her brother in the police report.

The company in Kochi denies she was laid off or that her salary was cut. “It's very shocking for me. She was a good friend and colleague and like my sister,” said Manu, who asked to use a pseudonym over fear of repercussions. “I can’t accept that she is no longer here. I think about her every day.” There is fear and widespread panic. The entire Indian economy is in the petrified zone Shamika Ravi, Brookings Institution The 27-year-old said he wanted to resign from the company but, like Jeena, he bears the middle-class burden of loans as well as supporting his family. After paying his rent and Rs10k in loans, Manu is left with just Rs800 for monthly expenses. “We are all facing family issues and debt,” he said. “It is terrible.”

Even before Covid-19 hit, white-collar workers were under immense pressure as India’s growth stalled. Suicides among professionals have climbed for two consecutive years, averaging 23 a day in 2019, according to the National Crime Records Bureau. “It’s the uncertainty that causes the maximum distress,” said Lakshmi Vijayakumar, a psychiatrist and suicide expert in Chennai, who added that the pandemic had led to significantly more suicides among professionals. “They are burnt out and Zoomed out,” she said. “There is the fear of infection and financial insecurity.” The pandemic has compounded India’s economic challenges, with millions losing their jobs. The country’s economic output shrank by 24 per cent in the three months to June compared with the same period last year, the steepest fall among the world’s largest economies.

While casual labourers are beginning to pick up more work, middle-class professionals are still struggling. India has the world’s second-highest coronavirus infection rate © Danish Siddiqui/Reuters The Centre for Monitoring the Indian Economy (CMIE), a think-tank, reported that 6.6m white-collar jobs — including those held by engineers, physicians and teachers — were lost between May and August 2020, the steepest fall among salaried workers. Efforts to revive the economy have been thwarted by rising numbers of infections. With more than 6.6m confirmed coronavirus cases, India is expected to surpass the US soon as the country with the highest number of infections.

“There is fear and widespread panic,” said Shamika Ravi, economist at Brookings Institution in New Delhi. “The entire Indian economy is in the petrified zone.” As the coronavirus cases continued to climb through the summer, so did white-collar job cuts. Vinod AJ lost his job in August as a software engineer earning about Rs90k a month with Cognizant. “The fear factor is everywhere,” said Mr Vinod, speaking from Chennai, where he lives with his wife and two-year-old daughter. Are you under 30? We are exploring the impact of the pandemic on young people and want to hear from readers between 16 and 30. Tell us about your experiences from the past six months via a short survey. For 13 years, he has sent money back to his family in the town of Kanyakumari, where his parents worked as teachers and his grandparents were rice farmers. Desperation is rising among employees, many of whom were the first generation to go to university and still support families living in rural areas, said Mr Vinod, who also works as general secretary for All India Forum for IT Employees.

“These mass lay-offs are putting fear into junior employees, we are wondering how prosperity and jobs will pick up again,” said Mr Vinod. Coronavirus laid bare the deep structural problems in India’s economy. For years there have not been enough jobs for the more than 10m graduates who enter India’s workforce annually. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vaunted “Make in India” initiative, designed to boost manufacturing jobs, has failed to take off. Despite earning top degrees in business administration or engineering, many graduates have been forced to shelve their aspirations and take jobs working as drivers for Uber or food delivery companies. Why India is struggling to cope with Covid-19 The youth are particularly hard hit. “This is a matter of serious concern,” said Mahesh Vyas, chief executive of the CMIE.

“Having cleared their exams and found a job, they’ve lost it all,” he said. “It could be three cohorts of graduates competing for very few jobs two years down the line.” The blow to the middle class, India’s growth engine, is sharply weakening demand and complicating the country’s economic recovery. Reflecting the collapse in consumption, India reported a record high current account surplus of $19.8bn in the second quarter as merchandise imports plummeted. But the crisis was also an opportunity to enact deep reforms, said Nguyen Trinh, economist at Natixis in Hong Kong. “The middle class barely got developed in the first place,” she said.

“The question is what is Modi going to do about it?” Mr Modi’s second term, however, has been dominated by a divisive political agenda. His ruling Bharatiya Janata party pushed through agricultural reforms last month, but with suppressed demand the prospects of winning job-generating investments are slim. Manu, meanwhile, is hoping to find work at a different company. “I’m ready to do any job, it doesn’t have to be white-collar,” he said. “My dream is to own a house. But this situation is pathetic.” Additional reporting by Jyotsna Singh

Meanwhile in North Korea:facepalm:

Watched a German talk show yesterday, where a man talked incredibly movingly about his ordeal of being in intensive care with covid.

He fell ill early in March, without any idea where he contracted the illness, at a time when incidence in Germany was still low. He managed to check himself into hospital where he was put immediately into an induced coma, and kept in coma for 5 weeks. His lung function was down to 4%, his kidneys shut down and he had a heart attack. He lost 25kg of muscle mass. He spoke about the utter shock of coming to and being unable to move and the terrible fear he experienced when awake but still on oxygen support and still feeling like having to fight for every breath.

An intensive care doctor was also on the show who was also visibly moved by the frank and authentic manner the man reported this, as well as by the incredible care and courage from the nurses.

The mental and emotional toll of this time in intensive care was clearly visible.
His left foot is still numb from a nerve being squashed during the pronation procedure. (Apparently it takes five skilled professionals to do this turning over and ensure that the lines of the various drips and machines don't get disrupted).

Anyway, in a way it's nothing new, but I think there has been quite a lot blythe talk (not here, of course, but in the wider public realm) about how much better we know now to treat the illness, including the famous turning a person onto their belly - but it was incredibly interesting and very emotional to hear what this actually means for a person.

elbows what do you think -- will european countries shut their borders with each other again soon?

The powers that be really hate doing that. So far they are able to delay and fudge such decisions this time around because the resurgence often resembles what we saw in March but in slow motion, giving more time for delay and disagreement. If the pace of things changes then they could very quickly end up forced into making similar decisions to last time, but if they can get away with it they will probably attempt a more subtle version, where specific countries targeted, and various exemptions. But ultimately if the virus is back at high levels in most populations then pretty strict stuff seems inevitable, its just a question of timing. And hospital capacity and Covid-19 patient levels is one of the things that forces them to act quickly with the big decisions, so how confident they feel about that stuff is a big factor in their decision making.

A few months ago, Iran allegedly attempted to go for a 'herd immunity' strategy.

Now it is seeing higher than ever records of cases and deaths :( today there was 272 :(

Hi frogwoman, that article looks to be written by someone from the MEK and so should probably we treated with caution. It may or may not be accurate but it can be hard to tell. It's one of the hazards of trying to follow Iranian opposition sources - everyone has an agenda but particularly the MEK.

Hi frogwoman, that article looks to be written by someone from the MEK and so should probably we treated with caution. It may or may not be accurate but it can be hard to tell - that's one of the hazards of trying to follow Iranian opposition sources.
OK, thanks for letting me know.

I had no idea what 'MEK' was :oops: and as I may not be alone in that, here's the Wiki entry :

Wikipedia said:
The People's Mujahedin Organization of Iran, or the Mujahedin-e Khalq (Persian: سازمان مجاهدين خلق ايران‎, romanized: sâzmân-e mojâhedīn-e khalq-e īrân, abbreviated MEK, PMOI or MKO), is an Iranian political-militant organization.[24][25][26] It advocates overthrowing the Islamic Republic of Iran leadership and installing its own government.[27][28][29] Its revolutionary interpretation of Islam contrasts with the conservative Islam of the traditional clergy as well as the populist Islamism developed by Ayatollah Khomeini in the 1970s.[30] It is also considered the Islamic Republic of Iran's biggest and most active political opposition group.

(ETA : actual link above ... )

Last edited:
Here, in Canada, we are all doing the "science" and we are doing without political barriers. All parties on the three levels of government are working together.
Health care is provincial, so the Feds listen to what the provinces need and act.
Our premiere, Doug Ford, campaigned on the promise he would oppose Trudeau. Wrt this, health care and virus are exempt from the squabble. there is plenty of other things to disagree on.

I'm from Ontario, so we listen to our premiere who listens to the science.
Our numbers are rising, so to try to reduce the contact, the government named three regions who have to go back a stage.
These regions are Toronto, Peel (around Toronto) and Ottawa.

ford.jpg

We were asked to curb back our Thanksgiving and keep it to a household event.

Then the anti-maskers demonstrated near our premiere's house.

Just days after Premier Doug Ford imposed sweeping new restrictions on businesses in Toronto, Peel and Ottawa, to try to bring down soaring rates of COVID-19 infections, anti-masking protesters targeted Ford at his home in west Toronto over Thanksgiving weekend.

“We have the anti-maskers showing up to my house again, you know flying the flag upside down…you want to disrespect our country and our flag…get going, take off, leave,” Ford said.

“You can be a denier, you can be an anti-masker. You can be whatever. This is a democratic country. You can say what you want, but I’m just coming up here and telling you what I know,” Ford said.

A recent poll by Leger and the Association for Canadian Studies, showed that support for wearing masks is getting stronger in Canada. Eighty-three per cent of respondents feel governments should order people to wear a mask in all indoor public spaces.

That represents an increase of 16 per cent from July.

Last edited:
Well this is what's happening in Queensland. Which is wonderful, but I feel guilty posting it.

Townsville woman tests positive in Melbourne after visiting Queensland cities

A Queensland woman in her 30s who tested for positive for COVID-19 in Victoria after visiting several Queensland cities has triggered a coronavirus scare, with several people in the state ordered to isolate themselves for 14 days.
The case was discovered after the virus was detected in Townsville's wastewater at the weekend.
Health Minister Steven Miles says Queensland Health is treating the case as if the woman was infected in Queensland.

Health Minister Steven Miles says Queensland Health is treating the case as if the woman was infected in Queensland.

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said the woman was a Townsville resident who travelled to Cairns and Brisbane before arriving in Melbourne to be with family while receiving medical treatment.
She had been in Melbourne for three days before she tested positive.

"The team and Queensland Health have asked a number of people who may have been in contact with her to quarantine themselves for 14 days and get tested during that period," he said.
Mr Miles, who is also the Health Minister, said health authorities were treating the case as if she was infectious in Queensland as a precautionary measure.
"It's most likely she contracted it in Melbourne. She was in Melbourne several days before getting tested," he said.
"However, the way we've been so successful has been by being ultra, ultra-cautious ... contact tracing is under way."
Mr Miles said the woman was not showing any symptoms of COVID-19.

"That’s why it’s challenging for us to identify when she may have been infectious because she appears to be one of those asymptomatic cases," he said.
The woman visited the following locations in Townsville:
  • Icon Cancer Centre Townsville on September 28 from 4pm-5pm
  • Mater Day Surgery at Hyde Park on September 29
  • NQ Vascular at Pimlico on September 30 from 1pm-2pm
  • Mater Day Surgery on October 1
She flew from Townsville to Cairns on flight QF2302 on October 3 before taking flight VA 782 from Cairns to Brisbane on October 6.
Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young urged people to not be complacent.

“We are asking anyone who has been to these suburbs at thes9e dates and times to monitor their health," she said.
"If you develop any COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, get tested."
“The woman’s treating doctors in Queensland have also taken COVID-19 tests and are isolating until they receive their results.”
Queensland recorded no new cases on Wednesday, maintaining the number of active cases to two.
More than 5000 tests have been done in the past 24 hours, including 274 from Townsville

Back
Top Bottom