Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Yeah I’m not sure how helpful the global estimate is... I guess it’s more intended as a warning than an accurate assessment.

It can be hard to keep up with on again, off again regulations in Belgium but I see things got tighter again there recently and now especially so in Brussels:

All bars, cafes and event halls in Brussels have been told they must shut down for at least a month as of 7am (CET) on Thursday as the Belgian capital went beyond recently tightened national restrictions in Belgium.

The minister-president of the Brussels-Capital region, Rudi Vervoort, said drinking alcohol in a public place would also be banned, sports clubs would have to close their canteens and food consumption in the market was prohibited amid a spiralling infection rate.

Restaurants will remain open for now in an attempt to keep the hospitality industry alive

32m ago 11:59

Italy introduced new rules involving masks:

The new law, which was approved by the Italian government this morning and will be valid for 30 days, consists of two steps. People are required to carry face masks with them at all times in Italy and, as of October 8, masks must be worn always when outdoors, unless in “isolated” areas and “during sports”.

Also:

From October 8, swab testing will be mandatory for persons arriving in the country from the UK, Holland and Belgium, as is currently the case for travellers coming from Croatia, Greece, Malta, Spain and certain areas of France, including Paris.

Who had 'MERS Coronavirus' in the 2020/2021 sweepstake?

Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) remains of global public health concern. Dromedary camels are the source of zoonotic infection. Over 70% of MERS coronavirus (MERS-CoV)-infected dromedaries are found in Africa but no zoonotic disease has been reported in Africa. We aimed to understand whether individuals with exposure to dromedaries in Africa had been infected by MERS-CoV.

It’s not a third wave in Iran. It’s still the first wave.

Yeah, and there is no universal, clearly defined consensus about what constitutes the exact boundaries between epidemic waves in the first place, and certainly not in this pandemic where wave mitigation is undertaken and then relaxed in a cycle.

With that said I'm probably not going to spend any energy trying to fight against what the general public and media think terms mean to them in this pandemic. If it looks like a series of waves on graphs of cases, hospitalisations and deaths then I think its fair enough that people will use that language, including officials that are trying to describe the situation to the public.

Not that surprising really and I've seen before that they're for use with masks not instead of.

Surprised it's as low as 2% though.

Just to be clear, that study is looking at the protection of others, not protection of the person wearing the face shield.

But yeah, whichever way you look at it, I dont recommend use of face shields alone, which stands to reason as in theory they all about protection of the wearer from infection via the eyeballs rather than anything else.

Last edited:
The Madrid fiasco continues:

Madrid's regional court has struck down an order that imposed a partial lockdown in the Spanish capital and nine nearby towns.

In a statement, the court backed an appeal by the local authorities, saying the order by the Spanish health ministry "impacted on the rights and fundamental freedoms" of some 4.5 million people affected by the restrictions.

The Madrid region had been forced to ban residents from leaving their houses without a valid reason from last Saturday.

From BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54460270

Sounds like the German health authorities have had to resort to mentioning stuff that is closely related to the self-defeating prophecy concept that I know we've discussed a couple of times here in the past.

Has a different name for it though....

But at a news conference with Mr Spahn, RKI President Lothar Wieler said Germans must be wary of what he called the "prevention paradox" - the feeling that measures were no longer needed because case numbers were relatively low.

Back
Top Bottom