Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

elbows (and others) -- you might be interested in this.

It's only available until tomorrow, then it will be taken down. It's a talk that Gordon Woo recently gave to the London Market Actuaries Group about modelling the COVID pandemic and its effects. Gordon Woo is a catastrophe modeller, kind of a Big Deal in that world. It's always worth hearing what he's been doing on disaster modelling and this is an hour's detailed talk aimed at people who do detailed modelling for a living, so it's not light touch.

I thought the Mexican government was basically under the thumb of the cartels anyway? Sounds like the dude is either risking his neck or blowing hot air, depending on how the cartels respond.

Filling the void vacated by government whether that be through supplying food, clean water or energy etc is the number 1 recruitment technique for gangs in that part of the world. Its straight out of Pablo's playbook in Medellin.

Instead of asking gangs to play nice they'd be better off ensuring their people have that basic stuff so gangs can't exploit the situation.

A Planetary Pandemic
NLR 122, Mar Apr 2020 (Editors)
The world after covid-19 seems set to be one of heavily indebted, austerity-prone states, bailed-out corporations, hungry, impoverished working classes and expanded personal-data surveillance.

Yet two things may have changed for the better. First: albeit in authoritarian fashion, governments for the first time in generations have had to put public health above profit-making; if that can happen once, it can happen again.

Second: for many, the crisis has provided a rare experience of thinking globally, beyond the walls of our own cultures.

It has become ordinary to conceive our species as a whole, under external threat; but also to feel for doctors and nurses in Italy or Iran, to have a sense of the distance from Wuhan to Qom, to ask how they do things in Sweden or Korea. Hopefully, some of that will last.

This article in a US publication has a few snaps and clips showing the good results of humans being off the streets: the gorgeous sky over LA, a peacock wandering about in Dubai, wild boar in Barcelona... and "Londoners also spotted a wild fox..."

South Africa

South Africa deploys 70,000 troops to enforce lockdown
Since 27 March only essential service providers, such as health workers, financial services providers, journalists and retail workers, are allowed to continue going to work.

Businesses that provide essential services have been applying for a special permit from the government that allows their members of staff to go outside.
The restrictions include no jogging outside, no sales of alcohol or cigarettes, no dog-walking, no leaving home except for essential trips and prison or heavy fines for law-breaking.
He also announced an economic relief package worth $26bn (£21bn) intended to protect companies and three million workers during the coronavirus pandemic.
In a televised address, he said the assistance amounted to 10% of South Africa's entire GDP.

Mr Ramaphosa said the measures included tax relief, wage support through the unemployment insurance fund and funding to small businesses.
from 22/04/2020 S Africa deploys 70,000 troops to enforce lockdown

and

South Africa flattens its coronavirus curve—and considers how to ease restrictions
the country’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, declared a national state of emergency banning visitors from high-risk countries, stopping large gatherings, closing more than half of its land borders, and shutting schools. On 27 March the country started a 21-day lockdown, closing all borders and confining everyone except those performing essential services to their homes except to buy groceries and medicine or to collect welfare payments.
The country is using that time to prepare by sending tens of thousands of community health care workers into villages and towns to screen people and refer those with symptoms for testing. By catching small community outbreaks and isolating cases, the South African response hopes to stop small flare-ups from turning into large wildfires of infection.
from 15/04/2020 South Africa flattens its coronavirus curve—and considers how to ease restrictions

The French are exploring whether the use of nicotine patches may protect against the virus.

And to think I was considering stopping, I think this is the best news I've heard so far. Best put a bit of hash in there though to keep the old SARS at bay (PDF) Cannabis Indica speeds up Recovery from Coronavirus

The French are exploring whether the use of nicotine patches may protect against the virus.

Great news for me!

I wouldn't have thought nicotine patches would be the way too investigate this though. Being a respiratory disease it might be the act of smoking that helps.

Great news for me!

I wouldn't have thought nicotine patches would be the way too investigate this though. Being a respiratory disease it might be the act of smoking that helps.
I am not going to get too excited by this because I recall deaths in China mainly males and the correlation being suggested that more men than women were dying and they wondered whether it was because more men than women smoked. I would have thought if smokers were dodging the bullet in China they might have noticed?

I am not going to get too excited by this because I recall deaths in China mainly males and the correlation being suggested that more men than women were dying and they wondered whether it was because more men than women smoked. I would have thought if smokers were dodging the bullet in China they might have noticed?

That was a first conclusion but then it was discovered men are more impacted than women globally, not just in male smoking countries.

Funnily enough I remember the earliest stats supporting the idea that smokers were lower risk though ex smokers higher mortality, but subsequently didn't have that breakdown or see it mentioned so may have read wrong.

Filling the void vacated by government whether that be through supplying food, clean water or energy etc is the number 1 recruitment technique for gangs in that part of the world. Its straight out of Pablo's playbook in Medellin.

Instead of asking gangs to play nice they'd be better off ensuring their people have that basic stuff so gangs can't exploit the situation.
Not defending AMLO but in some parts of Mexico, gangs ARE effectively the government/police. I guess if you are starving you don't think too hard about where the food comes from. Desperate situation

Another outbreak this time in a city in the north of China, Harbin.

Will be interesting to see how this develops with the testing and contact tracing being put into full swing.

We are getting a preview of the air quality possible in our cities once vehicles have moved on from petrol and diesel combustion engines to electric or fuel cells.
No! Moving to electric does not solve the air pollution problem. It improves it but it's not the solution. We need to reduce the number of vehicles, rather than potentially increasing them by a false portrayal of electric vehicles as problem free.

True that, non-exhaust emissions (from brakes and tyres) are almost as high as exhaust emissions and will grow relatively with electric vehicles.

I agree that the U.K. situation is different than the US, for one - the U.K. is tiny compared to the US - eg. the state of Texas alone is about 10 times or so larger than the U.K which in itself requires a different approach no doubt regarding how the US opens back up compared to here in the UK.
That's completely wrong. Texas is not 10 times the size of the UK. Its 2 or 3 times the size in land area, and about half the size in population.

What the hell? Am extremely confused now. “Our cross-sectional study strongly suggests that those who smoke every day are much less likely to develop a symptomatic or severe infection with Sars-CoV-2 compared with the general population,” the Pitié-Salpêtrière report authors wrote.'
Do I add this to my 'give up smoking for coronaviris thread?

Back
Top Bottom