Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

But you didn’t comment on it, you merely repeated it, as if it was a fact.

Contrary to the claim that they’re testing a million people a day (just think about the that Marty1 ... how is it even possible to be testing one million people a day in America?) , this report from CNN says it’s 150,000 a day.

“Testing nationwide is currently at 150,000 per day, they said, adding that "If we can't be doing at least 500,000 tests a day by May 1, it is hard to see any way we can remain open."...”

(See how that works? I didn’t say “they’re testing 15,000 a day” I said “this report says that they’re testing...”)

It doesn’t matter if it was Trump or Pence who said the thing about the vents; it’s the Trump administration, which is supporting Trump’s ambitions for a second term.

This idea of America being able to get back to normal in a week or two is dangerous nonsense. I can’t believe you believe it. Do you really beleive it ? On what grounds? Other than the say-so of a female whose name and credentials you can’t recall?

What the UK is doing or not doing is not relevant here, other than to say that we’re several weeks ahead of the US and only now considering the possibility of loosening the lockdown, so how can America be ready for releasing their much less comprehensive lockdown?

As for your unbiased opinion of Trump, I’d have more respect for that if you could support any of his claims with reports from anywhere that wasn’t FOX or the Mail or some other brown-nose.

Well, you’re linking a CNN article thats as equally if not more partisan than the media entities you claim ‘brown-nose’ so I don’t think you can claim any moral high ground here.

Nonetheless, the CNN article matches the figures that Mike Pence stated regarding testing, 1 million per week - CNN reports ‘Testing nationwide is currently at 150,000 per day’, (just over 1 million per week).

I agree that the U.K. situation is different than the US, for one - the U.K. is tiny compared to the US - eg. the state of Texas alone is about 10 times or so larger than the U.K which in itself requires a different approach no doubt regarding how the US opens back up compared to here in the UK.

It’s likely that the governor’s of each individual state will make determinations on how to phase their respective re-opening’s.

Democrat governors are already starting to open up certain parts of their districts.

Last edited:
Ecuador sees massive surge in deaths in April
Ecuador's official coronavirus death toll is 403, but new figures from one province suggest thousands have died.

The government said 6,700 people died in Guayas province in the first two weeks of April, far more than the usual 1,000 deaths there in the same period.
Footage obtained by the BBC showed residents forced to store bodies in their homes for up to five days.
According to the government's figures, 14,561 people have died in Guayas province since the beginning of March from all causes. The province normally sees 2,000 deaths a month on average.
from 17/04/2020 Massive surge in deaths in Ecuador's Guayaquil

The news is saying India is relaxing its lockdown already ..

This is the BBC's version of the above .... .... (20/4/20)

BBC said:
India has eased some restrictions imposed as part of a nationwide lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
Most of the new measures are targeted at easing pressure on farming, which employs more than half the nation's workforce.
Allowing farms to operate again has been seen as essential to avoid food shortages.

Meanwhile oil closes at MINUS $19.82.:D:D ie the producers are having to PAY PEOPLE to take it off em, they have no more storage. Expect a lot of the Fracking nutters will go bust - hardly universal joy but a tiny sliver of good news, it may also give the Orange Idiot a heart attack.............:thumbs::thumbs:

Meanwhile, in Madagascar:

Kim Jong-un illness rumours denied amid intense speculation
Reports that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is seriously ill after heart surgery are not true, officials in South Korea have said.

Headlines that Kim Jong-un was "gravely ill", "brain-dead" or "recovering from an operation" were always going to be impossible to verify.
Kim Jong-un recently missed the celebration of his grandfather's birthday on 15 April. This is one of the biggest events of the year, marking the birth of the nation's founder.

Kim Jong-un has never missed it - and it seemed very unlikely that he would simply choose not to turn up.
In 2014, Kim Jong-Un disappeared for 40 days from early September - which sparked a torrent of speculation, including that he had been ousted in a coup by other political grandees.

Then he re-appeared, pictured with a cane.
from 21/04/2020 Kim Jong-un illness rumours denied by South Korea

Note there has been speculation here too: Kim Jong il dead.

India

Should people pay for their own Covid-19 tests?
According to the new order, issued on 13 April, the government will reimburse private labs for testing the 500 million people covered by a flagship public health insurance scheme. The rest would have to pay.
India's numbers - 15,712 active cases and 507 deaths - are relatively low for a country of 1.3bn. Many believe this is because it's still testing too little - as of Sunday there had been 386,791.
But scaling up is a challenge. The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has approved only one homegrown testing kit so far, imports are delayed because of a global surge in demand, and the protective gear and medical staff required to conduct tests are in short supply. Also the sheer size of India’s population, and the resources needed to reach every corner of the country, is daunting.
Right now, Indians are getting tested only if a doctor advises them to do so. But the long wait at government hospitals, and the prohibitive cost at private ones, could deter even those with symptoms from showing up.
“If you want to contain a pandemic, you can’t have testing determined by cost,” says Jayati Ghosh, an economics professor at Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru University.
India is also considering pool testing, which involves collecting a large number of samples and testing them in one go. If the test is negative, nobody has the virus but if it’s positive, everyone who gave a sample has to be tested individually.

“It’s definitely a good way to reduce costs - as long as it’s done efficiently and smartly,” Ms Brar says.
from 20/04/2020 Should Indians pay for their own coronavirus tests?

I had never come across the idea of pool testing. I suppose if the majority of the pool thought they were clean it could reduce costs and time in getting a clear result. But if as many as one are infected unless they have already collected enough material to test all individually a second time it could be a pain.

One more on India

India coronavirus: Can the Covid-19 lockdown spark a clean air movement?
When India shut down last month and suspended all transport to contain the spread of coronavirus, the skies over its polluted cities quickly turned an azure blue, and the air, unusually fresh.

As air pollution plummeted to levels unseen in living memory, people shared pictures of spotless skies and even Himalayan peaks from cities where the view had been obscured by fog for decades.
"The current crisis has shown us that clear skies and breathable air can be achieved very fast if concrete action is taken to reduce burning of fossil fuels," says Sunil Dahiya, of the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air, which has also been tracking air pollution levels during the lockdown.
from 21/04/2020 How the virus cleared the world’s most polluted skies

We are getting a preview of the air quality possible in our cities once vehicles have moved on from petrol and diesel combustion engines to electric or fuel cells.

And it looks good!

Speaking of air quality:

It may be that the study has considered this - I've not looked - but I can't help wondering where population density fits in. After all, the most polluted areas also tend to be the more densely populated, and obviously with more people in close proximity the virus spreads more easily. I can well believe that higher NO2 levels worsen the effects of it, though.

Peru.

1587539803194.png

Peruvians are stopped by riot police in Lima as they try to make their way to San Martin and other parts of the country on 18 April. Photograph: Reuters
Riot police in Peru have blockaded a major highway and fired teargas into crowds of people attempting to flee the capital city and return on foot to their rural hometowns as the country’s strict coronavirus lockdown entered its sixth week.
Local television images on Monday showed hundreds of families, including young children, trekking along highways with their belongings on their backs as they made long journeys to family homes.
Poor Peruvians have been trying to leave Lima since last week, many saying they had to choose between hunger or homelessness in the city or risking exposure to Covid-19 as they attempt to return home.
“Here in Lima there are no longer any jobs, there is no longer any way to pay for food, we do not have any more savings,” Maricela de la Cruz told the Associated Press.
“We have done everything possible to stay the 30 quarantine days. Now we want to go back because we have a house, family, we have someone who can support us – here in Lima we have absolutely no one,” said De la Cruz, who was trying to return to Huancayo, in Peru’s central Andes.
Despite imposing some of the most stringent quarantine measures in Latin America since mid-March, Peru reported 16,325 coronavirus cases and 400 deaths on Monday, a figure which placed it second only to Brazil in the number of infections in the region. Brazil has a population seven times larger than Peru.
Yet the response of the Peruvian president, Martín Vizcarra, and his Brazilian counterpart could not be more different.

While the Brazilian leader, Jair Bolsonaro, has consistently flouted social distancing rules and downplayed the Covid-19 pandemic, Vizcarra is widely seen by Peruvians to have reacted decisively to the pandemic, deploying troops and the police to enforce a lockdown and a nightly curfew.
Vizcarra said on Monday that the weeks ahead would be the most difficult and would require “everyone’s highest capacity to respond”.
“The number of patients is close to exceeding the capacity of the health service,” he said.
Alonso Segura, a former Peruvian finance minister, said the mass movements of people to the countryside showed the state response was pushed to its limits, despite having launched a huge stimulus package worth 90bn soles (£21bn) – equivalent to about 12% of GDP – last month, which included millions of fortnightly cash transfers to poor families.
More than 70% of Peruvians work in the unregulated economy, according to the country’s statistics institute.
“The government cannot push the severe lockdown much longer,” said Segura. “Companies are going bankrupt and the desperation of the people is increasing. More than an economic issue, it’s a social issue,” he added.

Latin America in general.

Coronavirus vs poverty. Longer read but worth it. But it's depressing.

Leaders across Latin America have ordered their citizens indoors as they struggle to tame the coronavirus.

But for Liliana Pérez, an Argentinian single mother of six, staying at home is a pipe dream.

“My fear isn’t becoming infected. My fear is my children going hungry,” said Pérez, a 43-year-old volunteer from Villa Soldati, a pocket of extreme poverty in Buenos Aires, who is delivering hot meals to older people out of a baby’s pram.

More than 1,500 miles away, Rio de Janeiro’s 6.7 million residents – 20% of whom live in redbrick favelas – also have instructions to hunker down.

But each day Marcos de Oliveira rises before dawn in the Vila Aliança community and heads out to keep his household afloat.

“It’s not just any old cold. It’s an illness we still don’t properly understand and I can see it’s getting worse in Brazil,” Oliveira, a 45-year-old metalworker, said of Covid-19, which has now claimed nearly 2,500 Brazilian lives.

“But unfortunately people have to work – we’ve got to make a living.”

Across Latin America and the Caribbean – where an estimated 113 million people live in low-income barrios, favelas or villas – families are struggling to adapt to coronavirus lockdowns or social isolation orders because of more immediate financial imperatives.

“People are more worried about being able to feed their families than they are about the coronavirus,” said Pérez, one of more than three million people who live in Argentina’s densely populated villas.

In recent days, as some governments have announced aid packages to help their poorest citizens stay home, there have been reports of containment measures fraying in places such as Venezuela’s Petare and Brazil’s Rocinha, two of Latin America’s largest communities.

“There’s an avalanche of people here in the streets,” José Martins, a leader in Rocinha, told local media. “I think 60% to 70% of shops have reopened.”

César Sanabria, an organizer in Buenos Aires’ Villa 31 community, said the situation there was similar and cited cramped living conditions as one explanation.

“We’re trying to keep safe but it’s very difficult when a whole family
lives in only 16 square metres,” said Sanabria, who runs a radio station in the 45,000-strong settlement beside Buenos Aires’ exclusive Recoleta neighbourhood.

“We’re not really isolating,” he admitted. “You still see a lot of people on the streets.”

Lockdown does seem to be working in some areas – albeit with dramatic consequences for already struggling residents.

In Colombia’s capital, Bogotá, residents of deprived neighbourhoods have tied red rags to their windows to signal that those inside are going hungry. Riot police last week clashed with residents in Ciudad Bolívar, a sprawling mountainside neighbourhood, who were demanding food supplies promised by the president, Iván Duque.

“I’ve got no money and nothing to eat,” complained María Ticona, 44, a mother of five from Villa Copacabana, a deprived corner of El Alto, a high-altitude city above Bolivia’s de facto capital, La Paz.

Before the lockdown – which is being strictly enforced by Bolivian troops – Ticona sold bread and scraped together perhaps $4 a day. That income has evaporated. “My kids haven’t eaten properly since the quarantine began,” she complained.

Nancy Ramos, a 44-year-old resident of El Valle, a working-class community in Venezuela’s capital, Caracas, said the streets around her home were largely quiet – even if part of the credit lay with local gangsters waging a turf war in a time of coronavirus.

“By 7pm, the neighborhood looks like a cemetery. There’s nobody around,” said Ramos, a car park manager who was still having to work.

“I’d say the first two weeks, people were stressed out about the quarantine – nervous of getting the virus,” she added. “Now, we have a new shock: staying safe while the little gang boys run around.”

Tepito – a hardscrabble barrio in central Mexico City that houses a bustling street market – is also subdued. “Eighty per cent of businesses are closed,” said Mario Puga, a local historian and activist.

Residents of Rio’s 1,000-odd favelas say they are finding hibernating harder.

“When I got home tonight there were loads of people in the street chatting. Kids playing hide-and-seek and football,” said Oliveira. “It’s alarming.”

Social isolation also appeared to be sagging in nearby neighbourhoods, albeit for different reasons. “This morning when I was on my way to work … the bus passed a petrol station and it was packed... cars all over the place, lots of people there boozing. It was like they were throwing a rave in the petrol station,” Oliveira joked.

Ivan França Jr, an epidemiologist from the University of São Paulo’s faculty of public health, said that for isolation orders to work they had to be accompanied by economic aid.

“Social distancing can’t just be: ‘Don’t leave your homes,’” he said. “This is a very elitist and middle-class mindset.”

Brazil’s former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who was born into privation and won acclaim for his poverty relief work, said governments needed to do more to help the poor cope. “People will stay at home if they’re given the means to stay at home,” Lula told the Guardian.

Regional governments say they are moving to offer such support.

More than 45 million Brazilians will reportedly receive an emergency stipend of 600 reais (£91, $113) – although the president, Jair Bolsonaro, has warned such support cannot go on “eternally”.

In Bolivia, where more than 80% of the labour force works in the informal sector, the interim president, Jeanine Áñez, has announced a 500 boliviano (£58, $73) benefit. “What we want is for not a single citizen to be left without help or income,” Áñez said last week.

But there and across the region, some of Latin America’s neediest citizens say that is too little, too late.

Before coronavirus, María Angélica García, a 40-year-old from El Alto with Parkinson’s disease, fed her five children and bought her medicines by begging at the Ceja street market with a cardboard sign.

With the Bolivian bazaar now deserted and locals stranded at home she was penniless and hungry.

“I hope this coronavirus situation sorts itself out,” García said. “I can’t believe what has happened.”

1587540506983.png

A military policeman uses a loudspeaker to tell people to go home during a total lockdown in El Alto, Bolivia, on 3 April. Photograph: Aizar Raldes/AFP via Getty Images

Inequality in Paraguay. Report from April 12th.

Paraguayans go hungry as coronavirus lockdown ravages livelihoods
Early, aggressive measures seem to be controlling the disease but the pandemic has laid bare the country’s social inequalities

When Covid-19 arrived in South America, Paraguay was one of the first countries to take measures to contain the virus, closing schools and banning public gatherings after just the second confirmed case on 11 March.

The nationwide lockdown seems to be controlling the spread of the disease, but it has created another problem: large numbers of Paraguayans are going hungry in their own homes.

Paraguay has reported some of the lowest infection rates in South America – currently 129 confirmed cases and six deaths.

But the government of President Mario Abdo Benítez has been heavily criticised for failing to support people left without income during the total quarantine – which is now coming to the end of the third week and is set to continue until 19 April.

Sixty-five per cent of Paraguay’s workers earn their living in the informal economy and have no access to benefits during the coronavirus crisis.

And while the government has been authorised to secure loans of $1.6bn to face the crisis, only a small part of a promised scheme of emergency payments of about $76 and food packs have reached those left in need. A further payment scheme is yet to be implemented.

Valentina Osuna, a craftswoman and mother of four from the indigenous Qom village of Rosarino, said she was no longer able to sell her work.

“There’s no support, there’s nothing from the state. My children are hungry.”

Abdo Benítez has apologised for the situation and called for patience. But when he briefly boarded a public bus last week to greet passengers, he was heckled with demands for the promised support payments.

The scale of the crisis has been shown by the recent launch of AyudaPy – an open-source, non-governmental website allowing users to request and offer help. Thousands of messages are being posted daily by people describing dire circumstances and requesting basic items like milk, bread and medicine.

Óscar Pereira, member of a residents’ organisation in the deprived Tacumbú neighbourhood of Asunción, the capital, said: “The mutual solidarity on display is outstanding; poor people are helping other poor people. We’re all helping and giving what we can: we’re cooking communally so that we can get food to people.”

As it has across Latin America, the coronavirus crisis has laid bare social inequalities and the poor state of public infrastructure. Amid widespread outrage, the government has promised a reform of a state that is underfunded and plagued by corruption and highly skewed tax policies.

However, for Alicia Amarilla, national coordinator of the Organisation of Rural and Indigenous Women, not even promises of reform can guarantee greater dignity for Paraguay’s many poor families.

“We’re going to see many more difficult situations come from this crisis – we’re in a country with far too much inequality. We know that the government won’t take privileges away from those that have them. The people who are most in need are the ones who will continue suffering.”

And if you want some comment about all that...I know it's wrong to play off parts of the world against each other but I find Latin America's plight especially depressing. If you actually read those reports you'll find a common theme of extreme poverty, countries where 65-75% of workers do their work in the 'informal' economy - shit jobs, scraping together as little as $4 a day at times. Then they go queue for 8 hours to buy gas to cook on. If they're not already trying to get back to the 'safety net' of their families that they left to try and find money to support.

I'm afraid that us moaning about vouchers instead of a refund on our cancelled flights, or dobbing our neighbours in to the police for having a friend around is just not in the same league. Barely on the same planet. Spare a thought for Latin America.

And if you want some comment about all that...I know it's wrong to play off parts of the world against each other but I find Latin America's plight especially depressing. If you actually read those reports you'll find a common theme of extreme poverty, countries where 65-75% of workers do their work in the 'informal' economy - shit jobs, scraping together as little as $4 a day at times. Then they go queue for 8 hours to buy gas to cook on. If they're not already trying to get back to the 'safety net' of their families that they left to try and find money to support.

I'm afraid that us moaning about vouchers instead of a refund on our cancelled flights, or dobbing our neighbours in to the police for having a friend around is just not in the same league. Barely on the same planet. Spare a thought for Latin America.

And, ditto for Africa.

There was footage on the news yesterday of massive queues for food in South Africa, with no social distancing, some waited 14 hours & still didn't get any. :(

Back
Top Bottom