Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

What are the existing drugs? I have seen some thrown around but keen to get some more info on them, have found a few sites but want to make sure they are legit.

What info are you after and why? You're not going to be able to buy them, nor should you be able to. Legit? Hmmmm.

I hope you are not thinking of buying drugs for this, online!

Take a look at this thread...

Well "thinking" is the key word here... Just can't stand we are in this situation with literally no solution. How the hell can that even happen and nobody giving any sort of clear outcome

Can anyone help me understand the figures coming out of Turkey? It's hard to get hold of any data or numbers, but the number of deaths per day seem suspicious (around 60-70 for the last week from what I can remember/work out). And government saying Eid (end of May) it should all be over.

Well "thinking" is the key word here... Just can't stand we are in this situation with literally no solution. How the hell can that even happen and nobody giving any sort of clear outcome

We all get used to living in a world where 'there is a drug for that' or the 'this is the standard treatment'. Unfortunately that's not always going to be the case. This is new and there is currently no treatment for it. Pandemics have happened throughout human history and will continue to do so. We just happen to be in the midst of the storm at the moment and there is nothing we can do except follow guidelines and hope that's enough.

We tend to search for elbows' posts :)

who generally I think follows WHO guidelines.

lol! By the way, its been weeks since I've had time to observe what the WHO were saying, so I have no idea what I am missing on that front! If someone else could cast an occasional eye in the direction of the WHO, and report on anything of note, I for one would hugely appreciate it.

People of Wuhan allowed to leave after lockdown
The months-long lockdown in the city of Wuhan in China's Hubei province - where the coronavirus pandemic started - has been lifted.

Anyone who has a "green" code on a widely used smartphone health app is now allowed to leave, for the first time since 23 January.
Train, road and rail connections have now been re-established.
Last month, when Wuhan reported its first full week with no new infections, shopping malls were re-opened. Some people in "epidemic-free" residential compounds have also been allowed to leave their homes for two hours.
From Wednesday, approved residents will be able to use public transport if they are also to provide a QR code for scanning. The code is unique for each person and links to their confirmed health status.
But the government is under scrutiny about its response to the outbreak, and whether it is underreporting its figures.
Hitting back at these claims, Chinese state media have published what they describe as a detailed timeline of its response and information sharing.
from 07/04/2020 China allows people out of city first hit by virus

Wuhan went into strong lockdown on 23/01/2020 and is emerging three and a bit months later.

London is of a similar size to Wuhan, hasn't such an extensive lockdown, could London be in lockdown for three and a bit months?

A longer report on the Faroe Islands.

Mauro Ferrari, the president of the European Research Council, has resigned over the handling of the crisis.

My tenure as President of the European Research Council (ERC) has come to an end, as earlier today I tendered my resignation to President Ursula von der Leyen. My appointment was announced in May 2019, to take office on January 1, 2020. In the intervening 7 months I volunteered my time to the ERC, motivated by my enthusiasm for the great reputation of this world-leading funding agency, my commitment to the idealistic dream of a United Europe, and my belief in serving the needs of the world, through service to the best of science.
Those idealistic motivations were crushed by a very different reality, in the brief three months since I took office. Disquieting early warning, signs gave way to the painfully icy, cold recognitions of a world entirely different from what I had envisioned. The Covid-19 pandemic shone a merciless light on how mistaken I had been: In time of emergencies people, and institutions, revert to their deepest nature and reveal their true character.
I have been extremely disappointed by the European response to Covid-19, for what pertains to the complete absence of coordination of health care policies among member states, the recurrent opposition to cohesive financial support initiatives, the pervasive one-sided border closures, and the marginal scale of synergistic scientific initiatives.
I am afraid that I have seen enough of both the governance of science, and the political operations at the European Union. In these three long months, I have indeed met many excellent and committed individuals, at different levels of the organization of the ERC and the EC. However, I have lost faith in the system itself.

Last edited:
This is doing the rounds on Facebook it looks real enough no idea if what he is saying is true or not which is that ventilators are killing more people than they save.

Did you catch his name?

Dr Cameron...? ER and critical care doctor in New York City.... but no hospital named.

ETA

It’s from the New York Post.
I’ve found more. This is an interview with him.

I’m just storing these links here so I can come back to them. It’s an interesting and potentially important tangent : some patients seem to be exhibiting something that looks less like pneumonia and more like high-altitude pulmonary oedema (HAPE... because they’re spelling oedema the American way).

kropotkin Edie Rebelda kalidarkone kebabking IC3D wiskey
Does any of this chime with what you’ve been seeing /hearing about?

Last edited:

Anecdotal evidence has increasingly demonstrated that this proposed physiological approach is associated with much lower mortality rates among COVID-19 patients, he said.

While not willing to name the hospitals at this time, he said that one center in Europe has had a 0% mortality rate among COVID-19 patients in the ICU when using this approach, compared with a 60% mortality rate at a nearby hospital using a protocol-driven approach.

In his editorial, Dr. Gattinoni disputed the recently published recommendationfrom the Surviving Sepsis Campaign that “mechanically ventilated patients with COVID-19 should be managed similarly to other patients with acute respiratory failure in the ICU.”

“Yet, COVID-19 pneumonia, despite falling in most of the circumstances under the Berlin definition of ARDS, is a specific disease, whose distinctive features are severe hypoxemia often associated with near normal respiratory system compliance,” Dr. Gattinoni and colleagues wrote, noting that this was true for more than half of the 150 patients he and his colleagues had assessed, and that several other colleagues in northern Italy reported similar findings. “This remarkable combination is almost never seen in severe ARDS.”

Dr. Gattinoni and colleagues hypothesized that COVID-19 patterns at patient presentation depend on interaction between three sets of factors: 1) disease severity, host response, physiological reserve and comorbidities; 2) ventilatory responsiveness of the patient to hypoxemia; and 3) time elapsed between disease onset and hospitalization.

They identified two primary phenotypes based on the interaction of these factors: Type L, characterized by low elastance, low ventilator perfusion ratio, low lung weight, and low recruitability; and Type H, characterized by high elastance, high right-to-left shunt, high lung weight, and high recruitability.

“Given this conceptual model, it follows that the respiratory treatment offered to Type L and Type H patients must be different,” Dr. Gattinoni said.

Patients may transition between phenotypes as their disease evolves. “If you start with the wrong protocol, at the end they become similar,” he said.

Rather, it is important to identify the phenotype at presentation to understand the pathophysiology and treat accordingly, he advised.

The phenotypes are best identified by CT scan, but signs implicit in each of the phenotypes, including respiratory system elastance and recruitability, can be used as surrogates if CT is unavailable, he noted.

“This is a kind of disease in which you don’t have to follow the protocol – you have to follow the physiology,” he said. “Unfortunately, many, many doctors around the world cannot think outside the protocol.”

In his interview with Dr. Whyte, Dr. Kyle-Sidell stressed that doctors must begin to consider other approaches. “We are desperate now, in the sense that everything we are doing does not seem to be working,” Dr. Kyle-Sidell said, noting that the first step toward improving outcomes is admitting that “this is something new.”

“I think it all starts from there, and I think we have the kind of scientific technology and the human capital in this country to solve this or at least have a very good shot at it,” he said.

Evolutionary biology perspective.

I was half asleep when I listened to this - seem to remember lots about bats, sickle cell anaemia and altitude adjusted populations...malaria drug connection...(though I may be conflating it with a doc about Wim Hof)... Also how a relatively massive RNA virus gets cells' full attention for replication...

Suggestion in as yet not peer-reviewed Korean paper about SARS-2 directly affecting haemoglobin...

No doubt Weinstein is a bit iffy politically, but here it is ... About 14 mins in...

Last edited:
SheilaNaGig To be honest I don’t really understand what he’s saying. Afaik it’s a virus (a Coronavirus), that causes a pneumonia (inflammation or infection of lower airways, seen on a radiograph), that in a subset of patients with overwhelming inflammation can lead to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS- which is a syndrome, basically a constellation of symptoms that are present- including inflammatory infiltrate or fluid in the lungs leading to respiratory distress).

What’s he disagreeing with? Maybe I don’t understand.

Pulmonary oedema just means fluid in the lungs, it’s a sign not a diagnosis, can be caused by different pathology,: heart failure or ARDS or altitude.

Did you catch his name?

Dr Cameron...? ER and critical care doctor in New York City.... but no hospital named.

ETA

It’s from the New York Post.
I’ve found more. This is an interview with him.

I’m just storing these links here so I can come back to them. It’s an interesting and potentially important tangent : some patients seem to be exhibiting something that looks less like pneumonia and more like high-altitude pulmonary oedema (HAPE... because they’re spelling oedema the American way).

kropotkin Edie Rebelda kalidarkone kebabking IC3D wiskey
Does any of this chime with what you’ve been seeing /hearing about?

I'd be really careful about any Youtube videos or FB posts making claims about this kind of thing, even if they sound authoritative and come from figures that are involved and might have a sensible and related background. Doctors etc can also be susceptible to random nonsense, conspiracies, and poor evidence too, especially if they're right in the middle of something that's really difficult, chaotic, and emotionally hard.

It's about time the government here considers introducing UBI, no one would have to worry about restarting the economy. And people wouldn't have to live on a brink of a mental breakdown worrying if they'll be able to afford basics each month.

Once again, the FT appears to be nudging policy makers to change course:

I go along with a lot of this but I am not comfortable with the comment about the elderly
"Redistribution will again be on the agenda. The priveledges of the elderly and wealthy in question.."
Are they going to euthenise the elderly because they have reached old age?

A new way of life is about to unfold get ready. This is a test... The next one will make you think about it, if you haven't already. Think about it!

I'd be really careful about any Youtube videos or FB posts making claims about this kind of thing, even if they sound authoritative and come from figures that are involved and might have a sensible and related background. Doctors etc can also be susceptible to random nonsense, conspiracies, and poor evidence too, especially if they're right in the middle of something that's really difficult, chaotic, and emotionally hard.

I am being careful, that’s why I’m asking if you guys have any thoughts about it.

One of the things I’m bit :hmm: about it how one doctor in NY can be finding something “new” when so many other doctors have had weeks of close up experience. Is he just desperately trying to invent a new approach out of his own desperation?

But I’m als looking at that initial report from the Italian doctor too.

All the rest use the NY doctor and the Italian doctor as their only source. So it’s all highly speculative.

But as I’ve said elsewhere, with a pandemic the sample size is necessarily enormous so trends can be spotted anecdotally (like the anosmia, which wasn’t reported by the Chinese so far as I’m aware). And the sheer force of speed and volume of cases might obstruct critical thinking...?

But yes, please trust that I’m asbolutely not taking this at face value,

Reactions: LDC
Back
Top Bottom