Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Ashton has picked up on this.
No evidences such, but of course the tories would be susceptible to lobbying from this quarter...or any other corporate donors, tbh.

1585918017118.png

Favour folks.

Can anyone get me this article from behind the Paywall?

Here you go:
The Times said:
The ExCeL centre in London is continuing to charge corporate clients for events cancelled while it is in use as an emergency hospital.

Events organisers forced to pull or postpone conferences due to the coronavirus have been told by the ExCeL that “licence fees”, which cover the use of the venue but not extras such as staff, will still be payable. Licence fees can be hundreds of thousands of pounds for a single event.

“They’ve taken the kudos for giving it to the NHS, but they’ve not been supportive of their customers,” said one.

The ExCeL, owned by Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company, was criticised for charging the NHS up to £3m
a month to use the venue as the Nightingale hospital. It dropped the charge, which it said had been for “fixed costs”, after a Sunday Times story last week. “They were taking money from the NHS for space already paid for by event organisers,” said another customer.

The ExCeL has offered to move events to later this year at no extra cost. But according to emails, it has told clients that if events cannot go ahead, licence fees will still be due — even if the NHS is still using the venue.

In the emails, the ExCeL said licence fees were the “only thing” it could protect.
The ExCeL, which made £37.4m of pre-tax profits on turnover of £94.4m last year, said: “This is a hugely challenging time for everyone and we are continuing to work with a small number of clients, who remain affected, to agree a suitable solution.”

Bold move

Reading & Leeds Festival 2020 organisers have reassured fans that the festival is still going ahead despite of the coronavirus outbreak.

This year’s festivals are due to be held from August 28-30. Stormzy, Liam Gallagher and Rage Against The Machine will headline the main stages across the three days.

Bold move

Wow. Seems unlikely. But even if it does actually go ahead, I wonder if people will have any appetite for it by then.

Perhaps if enough people are freaked out by the idea of going somewhere really crowded, they'll stay away, leaving a small hardcore of people prepared to spend two weeks after the event in imposed isolation! :eek:

There still quite a lot of festivals planned for July which are still on. I can see some sort of relaxing of the lockdown by then but not to the extent of allowing a 10k - 20 k music festival to happen. Seems incredibly wishful thinking by the organisers to the extent that I wonder whether there is something related to insurance going on.

Wow. Seems unlikely. But even if it does actually go ahead, I wonder if people will have any appetite for it by then.

Perhaps if enough people are freaked out by the idea of going somewhere really crowded, they'll stay away, leaving a small hardcore of people prepared to spend two weeks after the event in imposed isolation! :eek:

The age demographic of these festivals don't really give a fuck about covid-19. If it goes ahead it'll be a fully attended as normal.

There still quite a lot of festivals planned for July which are still on. I can see some sort of relaxing of the lockdown by then but not to the extent of allowing a 10k - 20 k music festival to happen. Seems incredibly wishful thinking by the organisers to the extent that I wonder whether there is something related to insurance going on.
As stated before NO event insurance policy covers cancellation due to COVID-19.

What may be possible is the venue (field/location) are unwilling to transfer the booking to a later date or following year until government guidelines make it necessary.

Total guesswork on my behalf but we might (subsequent waves permitting) get gatherings of up to 500 allowed by the end of the summer. Any more than, forget it I reckon. Then again the a member of the pub trade was on this morning mentioning Christmas. So if you're not opening the pubs and restaurants I don't see how they can justify any sort of large gathering.

Fuck knows.

Total guesswork on my behalf but we might (subsequent waves permitting) get gatherings of up to 500 allowed by the end of the summer. Any more than, forget it I reckon. Then again the a member of the pub trade was on this morning mentioning Christmas. So if you're not opening the pubs and restaurants I don't see how they can justify any sort of large gathering.

Fuck knows.
I was hoping Something Else might happen - small, outdoors, end of September. But other festivals rescheduled to September, so they had to cancel. I was gutted.
I have a ticket for Bearded, but that is a lot bigger. I'm expecting it just to be rolled forward to next year.

Notting Hill Carnival must be hanging on by a thread.
No fucking chance that is happening this year
Know I might seem a misery at the moment but working in hospitality and global events I can't see any way, need or point.

The carnival (pleasing as it maybe) is a massive undertaking for (what will then be a depleted) the emergency services and is always a crush of people and litter.

I've got a couple of my posts from the other day about this. Bear with me while I find them .....
ETA : OK, from the UK Coronavirus lockdown thread :
I hate to refer to a S*n story :mad:, but their front page scream-headline today was 'Pubs could stay closed until Xmas!'
A somewhat more measured version of this appears in today's Metro -- their version of the story also gives the source for the shitrag's headline :
Metro said:
Pubs and restaurants will be ‘among the last’ to see lockdown restrictions lifted – and may not be running as normal until Christmas.
Cabinet secretary Michael Gove this weekend said the hospitality industry will be subject to social distancing measures for a longer period than others in a bid to prevent a second wave of the virus hitting Britons later this year.
Frank Maguire, from Truman’s brewery in London, told The Sun he thinks it is ‘unlikely’ that pubs will be able to open again as normal before Christmas.
He later clarified to Metro.co.uk : ‘I expect pubs won’t reopen before July – and only once scientists advise the Government it is safe to do so. I don’t envisage normal levels of trade returning until the end of the year. We (pubs and breweries) were the first to be hit by the lockdown and we’ll be the last to reopen, which is completely understandable.’

So unsurprisingly, it seems that The S*n were sensationalising/exaggerating it.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of my posts from the other day about this. Bear with me while I find them .....
ETA : OK, from the UK Coronavirus lockdown thread :
Just spoke to a brewery chap I do some work with and he said they will not be opening any pubs before August for several reasons but mostly fear of harming people, bad PR and potential legal action from staff/customers.

Also :
William of Walworth said:
I hate to refer to a S*n story :mad:, but their front page scream-headline today was 'Pubs could stay closed until Xmas!'
And today's story on the British Beer and Pub Association website does not mention when they think pubs will re-open
(July, as the Metro//Truman Brewery guy suggested, seems possible -- or maybe August).

BBPA said:
British Beer & Pub Association says urgent support targeted at pubs is needed to ensure they can survive extended COVID-19 lockdown
The British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA) is pressing the Government to announce extra support just for pubs, to ensure they can survive an extended COVID-19 lockdown.
The trade body’s plea comes after cabinet minister Michael Gove warned that the nations pubs would be ‘among the last’ to see restrictions placed upon them relaxed.

And today's story on the British Beer and Pub Association website does not mention when they think pubs will re-open
(July, as the Metro//Truman Brewery guy suggested, seems possible -- or maybe August).

So all in all, although "Xmas before pubs re-open!" is a possibility, it's essentially a S*n sensationalisation at this stage. Even the S*n headline said "could" ....

Last edited:
Just spoke to a brewery chap I do some work with and he said they will not be opening any pubs before August for several reasons but mostly fear of harming people, bad PR and potential legal action from staff/customers.

August is very plausible, say locals in the trade here (bear in mind we're in Swansea, not London, though). They are also possibly contemplating (maybe?) mid/lateJuly.
I was mainly just trying to kill the "not until Xmas" thing in Teaboy 's post -- that wasn't what the Truman's Brewery chap originally said anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom