Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Enough negativity. Who's actually off to festivals this summer, and which ones?
I'll start............

This weekend - Top secret, small, covid-tested, socially distanced, acoustic music only, but I still can't wait to get out there. Weather's looking good.

August 5-8 - Wickham. Local, going with friends. Not really my scene, but Merry Hell are on.

August 13-14 - Mayhem at Micks. 2 days of punk rock in a cowshed. This is the big one.

August Bank Holiday - Blyth Power "Ashes"/camping trip. Small, relaxed. One amplified night on a stage, one night acoustic in the camping field, and a cricket match. Went to this last year (!).

24-26 September - Something Else by the Sea, to wrap things up for the year.

Plus I've got at least three gigs lined up in between.

I hope to squeeze another couple of weekends in, depending on other things.

Touch wood and all that.

I'll probably reap opprobrium on here, then catch the covid and die.

It appears that the Landed Festival, in the grounds of a posh house near Builth Wells (Powys), is pretty likely to be going ahead over the weekend of Saturday 31st July.
They have adapted a few things and are keeping the event small (600 people).

New announcements in Wales due tomorrow (Wednesday 14/7) though, so let's hope that Landed's organisers are not being over-optimistic.

Depending on my friend being able to get tickets from Twickets, we'll be heading for the faboulous line-up (but sold out!) Stone Valley South Festival near Ware, Hertfordshire, weekend of Saturday 14th August -- no signs on their websire of it not happening.

Following weekend, that of Saturday 21st August, festivaldeb, myself and van will be heading for Beautiful Days (Escot Park near Exeter, Devon), whose website (plus FB and Twitter account) have all been consistently optimistic about the event going ahead.

Also, we're still strongly contemplating another small event the weekend after BD (that of Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th September, Feralfest -- location unclear so far, but their Facebook appears to be full steam ahead with the planning

Booked for the one you mentioned mx wcfc -- Something Else by the Sea, near Woollacombe, Devon, weekend of Saturday 25th September.

And an additional (non-camping!) end of season bash : Sunset on the West, Pontins, Breen Sands near Weston-super-Mare, weekend of Saturday 2nd October. Must buy tickets ASAP! :eek:

Other main event for me is to go and see The Specials at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry, Saturday 11th September. Tickets already sorted, it'll be a big gig which is very much part of Coventry City of Culture 2021! :cool:

I’ve got some gig tickets but it’s a nightmare working out what’s been rescheduled to when so they’ll probably all be half-empty and I’ll only make a couple of them.

Following weekend, that of Saturday 21st August, festivaldeb, myself and van will be heading for Beautiful Days (Escot Park near Exeter, Devon), whose website (plus FB and Twitter account) have all been consistently optimistic about the event going ahead.

Also, we're still strongly contemplating another small event the weekend after BD (that of Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th September, Feralfest -- location unclear so far, but their Facebook appears to be full steam ahead with the planning

And an additional (non-camping!) end of season bash : Sunset on the West, Pontins, Breen Sands near Weston-super-Mare, weekend of Saturday 2nd October. Must buy tickets ASAP! :eek:
There's a couple of good festivals w/e of BD, but Eastfield are down south that weekend and I'm going to see them in Brixton and Portsmouth.

Feral is definately one I want to do. My OH and daughter are talking about us all going to the Lakes that weekend. I am (shamefully) praying that they discover that the whole country is fully booked!

Hadn't come across Sunset. I'll have a look at it. :thumbs:

none this year - was only really interested in Freerotation. too many festivals are too general, much prefer small and selective

none this year - was only really interested in Freerotation. too many festivals are too general, much prefer small and selective
Yeah, another vote here for small.

I have a van now, but when I had a car and a tent, the small ones, where you can park next to your tent are so much better. Went to "Camp Bestival" one year - family thing - daughter might have been 13 and we took a friend of hers. Car was about half a mile away. I was a packhorse.
Not doing that again.
And, yes, the ones with selective music are so much better than those that try to please too many people.

I've got mixed feelings about that -- I love small festivals, and of the few we're heading to this year, all except Beautiful Days are tiny :cool:

But general and larger can so often mean more variety of music too -- the return of (working at) Glastonbury next June** will mean the return of all those choice-of-act dilemmas! :) :D

** </he insists confidently!! ;) >

Really think this new variant is going to screw everything up. I'm meant to be going to an indoor gig in September but I really doubt I will be. If it's too dangerous then, I won't care. Some things are much more important, irrespective of how much I love The Specials.

I'm currently nursing someone double-jabbed through Covid. If the government prediction of 100,000 infections a day is right, there's going to be a lot of really ill people out there, vaccine or no vaccine.

Under those circumstances, you wouldn't catch me jumping up and down in a room with thousands of others if you paid me.

Voley : I think a lot of your pessimism is justified, but surely at least some of that applies to indoor gigs more than outdoor -- our Specials gig in September is at an outdoor arena in Coventry.

This is a useful/interesting discussion though -- will have to get back to it at the weekend ...

In the meantime, I hope your mum's health gets well onto the improve soon :)

Really think this new variant is going to screw everything up. I'm meant to be going to an indoor gig in September but I really doubt I will be. If it's too dangerous then, I won't care. Some things are much more important, irrespective of how much I love The Specials.

I'm currently nursing someone double-jabbed through Covid. If the government prediction of 100,000 infections a day is right, there's going to be a lot of really ill people out there, vaccine or no vaccine.

Under those circumstances, you wouldn't catch me jumping up and down in a room with thousands of others if you paid me.
I’ve cancelled an indoor gig for August and I was pleasantly surprised when Ticketmaster refunded with no arguments.

Voley : I think a lot of your pessimism is justified, but surely at least some of that applies to indoor gigs more than outdoor -- our Specials gig in September is at an outdoor arena in Coventry.

This is a useful/interesting discussion though -- will have to get back to it at the weekend ...

In the meantime, I hope your mum's health gets well onto the improve soon :)
Bolded the important part for you ;-)

One week till Tramlines, where I'm volunteering. Looks like I'll be checking tickets (and along with that goes checking covid test results/proof of two vaccinations.) Last night I read about a festival in the Netherlands that resulted in 1,000 cases.

For some reason I thought I'd be wandering around the periphery, picking up litter.

Any tips as to how I can stay as safe as possible? I really don't want to get covid.

One week till Tramlines, where I'm volunteering. Looks like I'll be checking tickets (and along with that goes checking covid test results/proof of two vaccinations.) Last night I read about a festival in the Netherlands that resulted in 1,000 cases.

For some reason I thought I'd be wandering around the periphery, picking up litter.

Any tips as to how I can stay as safe as possible? I really don't want to get covid.
Proper masks, double up!

Yeh, give it a miss

I’d ask for a different shift or not go.

Don't go

I'm stewarding at Latitude with Oxfam and we have been told to wear masks when interacting with people outside of our "work" bubble while on shift. Regular hand washing and sanitiser will also be a big part of my shift plans.

If it was just me I would probably back out, but I have a friend coming to stay and we are doing it together. She doesn't seem concerned which I'm surprised by because she has been extremely careful since the pandemic began. Anyway at this stage I am planning to volunteer but if I do feel unsafe or that there's too much contact I will leave.

Info coming out of Australia is worth checking - it seems people are catching Delta (even if double jabbed, even if had covid before) at outdoor events with only fleeting contact, eg going through turnstiles.

Not trying to spread fear, but to encourage informed decision making.

Back
Top Bottom