Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Latitude does have a lot of indoor stages, but if they made them all outdoor I think it'd be pretty safe.

I've always thought of Latitude as very much an 'outdoorsy' festival tbh, probably because I never spend any time in the Comedy tent - just too crowded - or Cabaret, in fact I can only think of one of the music stages that's in a tent, the BBC Introducing thing, one down from the main one, the Obelisk. The rest are all outdoors aren't they, the one in the woods, the one by the lake, and the previously mentioned Obelisk.

It's a festival I very much associate with just wandering around outdoors, sitting in the woods (bastard mosquitoes there :mad:), drinks, spiffs, all outdoors, in fact, I go for the setting and the fact that it's only 30 mins away in the car, not so much the music; although this year there's definitely enough on the undercard to interest me, Dry Cleaning, Squid, Shame, Fontaines so definitely keeping an eye on this.

But, no, never thought of Latitude as having that many indoor stages. I think it would be pretty safe, they might limit the attendance figures though, which if I could get a ticket would be great, remind of the early years of the festival - 2006/7 - when it was much smaller.:)

The risk is strongly linked to overall levels of infection in the community at the time. So what successfully passes a trial carried out when there is relatively low viral prevalence can easily end up being deemed too risky if infection levels overall have climbed notably since the period when the trial was carried out.

UK rock festival Download will be run as a pilot to test the feasibility of large-scale music events. After announcing its cancellation in March, the three-day festival revealed its return to participate in the UK Government's Event Research Programme (ERP) according to the BBC. 10,000 people with negative lateral flow and PCR tests will be allowed to attend without masks or social distancing while researchers from Public Health England monitor possible transmissions.

The festival takes place from June 18th at Donington Park. Previous editions of Download have had more than 100,000 attendees. The event is part of the UK's phased reopening programme. Previous ERP pilots found 15 out of a possible 58,000 people tested positive following trial mass events. ERP research has also deemed mass events to be safe as shopping or eating at a restaurant. Learn more in this report on the prospects for festivals returning in Europe and the UK.

To me, that's one of the most relevant stories about festivals this year.

I was also wondering whether the Govt could just postpone 21st June for another few weeks, for example until end of school terms (?)

I'm well behind with Covid UK thread developments though -- major computer problems over the last week :(

Another one gone.

We and van were going to go to Nozstock!

But it had sold out ......... will have to be next year, now!! :(

We have two (small) fests lined up in July, and two in early August (both small).
The third August one is Beautiful Days -- not small!! :eek:

I'm refusing to even think yet about our two September ones, plus one right at the beginning of October. All small, fortunately.

:( :(

We have two (small) fests lined up in July, and two in early August (both small).
The third August one is Beautiful Days -- not small!! :eek:

I'm refusing to even think yet about our two September ones, plus one right at the beginning of October. All small, fortunately.

:( :(
There are two ways to look at this...

1. The new virus variant is getting quite scary and if we want any return to 'normality' then festivals are a big problem.

2. It has been a tough couple of years for everyone, not least of all the festie fans. It would do us good to get outdoors with some music and free folk.

I have got one gig booked in December. Am not looking at any festivals.

Although small festivals seem to be 'safer' than big festivals the size and space is relevant here.

You won't get to Beautiful Days with any social distancing. Same as a small festival. The economics do not work sadly.

I have tickets for Beautiful Days but never really thought it was actually going to happen. I did think there would be smaller events such as 500 capacity but now I'm not so sure they'll even happen.

I've got an outdoor gig at Crystal Palace booked for August. I am double vaxxed and if I get there and it's too crowded I can fuck it off and walk home :D I wouldn't consider an indoor or a big festival right now. I just can't see how Beautiful Days, Reading, Leeds or any others are going to happen given the way things are going. Hope I'm wrong though. The government should have helped the festivals out with insurance.

I have tickets for Beautiful Days but never really thought it was actually going to happen. I did think there would be smaller events such as 500 capacity but now I'm not so sure they'll even happen.
I am not being a misery (again) on this. Just looking at the Covid data and understanding the staffing and build costs of an event.

A small festival will have a PPSM (people per square metre) and that will be a selling point for traders (food/drink) and such. I doubt many can negotiate cheap space to allow social distancing and cover staffing/costs etc.

The government should have helped the festivals out with insurance.

The fact they didn't was a pretty clear indicator (to me anyway) that they thought there was a low likelihood of them actually happening. Of course being upfront and honest with the population would have been the right thing to do but it's a complete anathema to them so that was never going to happen.

I was also wondering whether the Govt could just postpone 21st June for another few weeks, for example until end of school terms (?)

I'
That would take out Mayhem at Micks, Gails at the Tiddly and Kippertronix, all of which I was rather hoping to go to.
I can see it happening though. I am seething with rage over the government’s failure to stop this new variant.

So I'm going with a mate to the England match at Wembley on Sunday. I've just read this is happening:

I've not had my second jab yet so it will need to be the test option. I have some NHS rapid antigen tests at home which I assume is the same thing as lateral flow. What I don't understand is how this relates to proof of a negative test? Reading the instructions with the tests it says I report the result to a website but nothing about how it proves anything?

They do have qr codes but there is no mentions of apps and again I don't know how that proves anything...

Anyone any thoughts?

So I'm going with a mate to the England match at Wembley on Sunday. I've just read this is happening:

I've not had my second jab yet so it will need to be the test option. I have some NHS rapid antigen tests at home which I assume is the same thing as lateral flow. What I don't understand is how this relates to proof of a negative test? Reading the instructions with the tests it says I report the result to a website but nothing about how it proves anything?

They do have qr codes but there is no mentions of apps and again I don't know how that proves anything...

Anyone any thoughts?

Looks like there's proper guidance there

Anyone any thoughts?
Yeh, I couldn't be fucking arsed with all that shite. Watch it at home or at the pub.

Yeh, I couldn't be fucking arsed with all that shite. Watch it at home or at the pub.

Yeah it initially seemed like a ballache but on closer inspection it doesn't seem that big a deal. Just do a lateral flow test which is a good idea anyway when meeting up with friends. Report the result of the test online (as you're supposed to do anyway with these tests) then take a screenshot of the negative confirmation.

It does seem to rely completly on honesty in that it is reliant on you telling the truth with regard to the test being negative. I think the temptation to lie will be quite strong for many if the test comes back positive because it would mean missing the event and possibly losing your money.

Anyone any thoughts?
The only difference between a LF Test Centre result and a home test is that people are watching you swab yourself, and you have a second person logging the result including a photo of the result.

I have had quite a few people faking their swabs sadly.

Yeah it initially seemed like a ballache but on closer inspection it doesn't seem that big a deal. Just do a lateral flow test which is a good idea anyway when meeting up with friends. Report the result of the test online (as you're supposed to do anyway with these tests) then take a screenshot of the negative confirmation.

It does seem to rely completly on honesty in that it is reliant on you telling the truth with regard to the test being negative. I think the temptation to lie will be quite strong for many if the test comes back positive because it would mean missing the event and possibly losing your money.
For reference we had a lot of people who needed LF test results for the cup final at Wembley. Home tests were not allowed.

For reference we had a lot of people who needed LF test results for the cup final at Wembley. Home tests were not allowed.

Thanks but the link posted above does state that home testing is fine. To be honest its all a bit confusing. I know its a test event and they got try these things but it just feels like this whole approach will just be overtaken by events, as a lot of things have been during this pandemic.

Andrew Lloyd Webber has said he is determined to open his theatres on 21 June, even if he risks being arrested.
The impresario's West End production of Cinderella is scheduled to begin previews on 25 June, four days after so-called "freedom day".
"We are going to open, come hell or high water,"

I have just written to my MP demanding 'freedom day' be pushed back a couple of weeks, would urge everyone else to do the same.

Its easy for Lloyd Webber to make large claims about being prepared to be arrested, but I wonder if more mundane realities such as those involving the venues public liability insurance may have a larger impact on what they can actually do compared to what he finds it easy to threaten to do.

Andrew Lloyd Webber has said he is determined to open his theatres on 21 June, even if he risks being arrested.
The impresario's West End production of Cinderella is scheduled to begin previews on 25 June, four days after so-called "freedom day".
"We are going to open, come hell or high water,"

I have just written to my MP demanding 'freedom day' be pushed back a couple of weeks, would urge everyone else to do the same.
The already long list of reasons why he’s a total cunt gets another addition.

Back
Top Bottom