Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

I have cancelled four events today (400 - 20,000 visitors) and there is no chance of festivals for a couple of months.

Corporate/Sporting events are a lot easier to reschedule than festivals. There is a massive amount of companies about to go under and a lot of unemployment in the travel/sports/event business. I can reschedule a business event and transfer the tickets. The logistics, artists, finances behind a festival are an organisers nightmare and not one I would relish! There is a lot of goodwill in the events/music/sports biz but that can only carry you so far :(

The only hope people have at the moment is that once we come out of this there will be a huge amount of work going as everyone scrambles to reschedule tours and shows. But I'm not that confident the logistics of it all will fit. The touring season is now basically screwed, if it carries on over the summer and all the major festivals go tits up then people are going to end up homeless. And It's not just the freelance crew, there will be entire production/crewing companies that will go to the wall over this.
Some venues too, I expect.

Some venues too, I expect.
I've already had some cancellations at my studio from overseas bands. (A large chunk of my income is from European bands who take some time in London for recording). I dread to think what will happen to me and the studio if bookings dry up completely for a few months.....

I've already had some cancellations at my studio from overseas bands. (A large chunk of my income is from European bands who take some time in London for recording). I dread to think what will happen to me and the studio if bookings dry up completely for a few months.....
It's not like there's any kind of Plan B studios, venues, clubs, bands and bars can adopt. If people can no longer gather, we're fucked.

It's not like there's any kind of Plan B studios, venues, clubs, bands and bars can adopt. If people can no longer gather, we're fucked.
indeed.
Luckily I have a fair bit of work that doesn't rely on people being physically around lined up. (Mixing Jobs, soundtrack work etc). But that's limited income too.
A few weeks ago we were still moaning about how little security the music industry provided. Now there is literally none.

Scotland recommends gatherings of over 500 are banned. So that's all big gigs fucked then, including the Mary Chain at the Barras.

Gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled from next week, the Scottish government is advising.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said this was to free up emergency services, including police and ambulance crews, to deal with coronavirus.

Last edited:

Quiet Place 2 is also having its release date pushed back. Expect a lot of films about to come out or go into production will do the same.
Yep

Scotland recommends gatherings of over 500 are banned. So that's all big gigs fucked then, including the Mary Chain at the Barras.

Gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled from next week, the Scottish government is advising.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said this was to free up emergency services, including police and ambulance crews, to deal with coronavirus.

But the big Wales Scotland rugby match still seems to be on

NHL season suspended, this article also says MLS (major league soccer) has suspended the season.

Presumably NFL and baseball will do the same though I don't know when their seasons start.

NHL season suspended, this article also says MLS (major league soccer) has suspended the season.

Presumably NFL and baseball will do the same though I don't know when their seasons start.

Major League Baseball suspends spring training, delays start to season: OFFICIAL: MLB is Suspending the Rest of Spring Training, Delaying Regular Season for At Least Two Weeks

60% alcohol is all that's needed. Serious opportunity for every landlord in the city.
I apologise if this seems flippant to the rest of the thread, btw, appreciate the grief you're all suffering.

as an event organiser I had two weeks of go-no go for an 800 person event in spain last week. I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.

are there any solidarity funds we can pitch into?

Live Nation suspends all touring.
They also lost £1.8bn off their stock value today apparently.
333J4.jpg

This was odd to watch. Just 500 people allowed in the ground. And poor old Lask lost out on their big night out.

How relevant is the "How far away is the date of it from now?" factor, for the won't happen/will happen decisions? :hmm:

My ony hope (at all, now :( ) for Glastonbury still going ahead in late June ( ;) ) is the fact that's it's planned for late June.

Emily has released the big-G line-up today also.
Relevant or not that she's done that?? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom