Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

it'll all be cancelled. olympics, euros, premier league. liverpool had better hope they win it mathematically before then, i think they can

I believe Liverpool can win it without kicking another prem league ball if Man City manage to lose tomorrow and on Saturday.

Anyone want to buy my rugby tickets for Saturday in Cardiff?

Heard rumours it might get cancelled but looks like we’ll be going.

The chairman of Notts Forest has it according to the bbc.

And so the effect on the Premier League begins:

Our Premier League match with Manchester City on Wednesday night has been postponed.

Following yesterday’s news that Olympiacos owner Evangelos Marinakis has recently contracted Covid-19, we have been taking medical advice and tracing any individuals who had what the guidelines define as close contact with him at the game 13 days ago.

As a result of this exercise we identified that a number of players met the Olympiacos owner immediately following the game.

The medical advice we have received puts the risk of them developing Covid-19 at extremely low. However, we are strictly following the Government guidelines which recommend that anyone coming into close contact with someone with the virus should self-isolate at home for 14 days from the last time they had contact.

As a result, the players are unavailable for tonight's match against Manchester City and the Premier League has decided the game should be postponed.

Surely they should postpone??
The problem with postponing these things - be it sporting event, festival, whatever - isn’t simply finding a new date. It’s all the supporting equipment, personnel and infrastructure that goes with them. It’s a giant jigsaw puzzle of logistics at the best of times, there just isn’t enough time/kit/people to be able to fit everything in once available dates get reduced.

Former Japanese Health Minister (in charge during Swine Flu) says if COVID-19 not finished by end of April the Olympics will be canned...

Looks like our first event is about to be cancelled - been hearing whispers all day.
It may not be the virus though as whoever scheduled an outdoor party/gig for this time in March when it is still liable to be freezing needs their heid lookit-into!

And I was expecting the chairperson of one of the big banks today but they cancelled yesterday. The news this morning maybe explains why.

The Chinese diplomat did turn-up though but it was a different one. Working at their level seems akin to being a drummer in Spinal Tap!

it's like just watching the transparent stupidity of much of the human race day after day, hour after hour. it's really fucking depressing. cheltenham for fuck's sake. the fucking champion's league. idiots.

The problem with postponing these things - be it sporting event, festival, whatever - isn’t simply finding a new date. It’s all the supporting equipment, personnel and infrastructure that goes with them. It’s a giant jigsaw puzzle of logistics at the best of times, there just isn’t enough time/kit/people to be able to fit everything in once available dates get reduced.
Totally get that but thought other matches were getting postponed

NBA season suspended: NBA to suspend season following Wednesday's games | NBA.com

A player tested positive for covid-19. The player had, as a joke, touched all the microphones at a press conference, before he knew he was infected :facepalm: Plus I think basketball has a crazy schedule where they play games every day or two, so even in a few days, the two teams known to be at risk have played other teams, who have played other teams.

USA has suspended all travel from Europe, except the UK! we can still go there (apparently transfers are blocked as well so mainlanders can't just hop over here to get to the US): Trump halts travel from Europe to US

It's going to be grim

The hardest-hit group in the industry may be the tour managers, soundboard operators, and other venue employees or crew members who rely on tour income and may not be making any salary at all without working on shows. “The biggest concern for someone like myself is that both of the bands I work with are coming out of their slow season,” says Jeff Pereira, the tour manager for Jimmy Eat World and Angels and Airwaves. “You do your best to budget for the time off and then some but weeks of unexpected down time can be a real issue. With so many touring and production people facing the same thing we all end up fighting to get on the few tours that may still be happening or having to look for local work outside of our fields.”

It's going to be grim

The only hope people have at the moment is that once we come out of this there will be a huge amount of work going as everyone scrambles to reschedule tours and shows. But I'm not that confident the logistics of it all will fit. The touring season is now basically screwed, if it carries on over the summer and all the major festivals go tits up then people are going to end up homeless. And It's not just the freelance crew, there will be entire production/crewing companies that will go to the wall over this.

Back
Top Bottom