Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Not asking you or anyone to answer this personally obvs but I’m preoccupied with the parental hug question, because they keep asking me (theyre both mid seventies & not in UK). If staying away from them for the greater good / increased chance of a vaccine being developed means staying away for five years that’s too much, imo. Two years is long.
Two or five years is certainly too much when your parents are of the age that there's no guarantee they'll still be around in that time, regardless of Covid. I think people will just start doing the pre-quarantining thing, with varying degrees of rigour. Maybe it'll be a way of getting people to spend a bit longer doing visits, travelling a bit slower, instead of rushed fly-bys though.

Yep. For me I’d have to fly to see them (or drive for days which would be safer but still not safe) so for now anyway it feels impossible. What I’d like to figure out is some marker (for myself) that would mean that the risk I’d pose them by going to see them is worth it, iykwim.

Honestly please don't let my pessimistic/nihilistic mood today about everything get you down - even if we have to live with this thing for decades we will not be without family contact forever - we'll develop protocols for minimising risk, whether that involves more accurate spot testing (which I suspect may be a more realistic short term hope than a vaccine) repeated over a few days or isolation measures or hygiene protocols for conducting visits, along with contact tracing and knowing more about the virus (seasonality etc). That is (short of letting the thing run rampant and killing millions, which I don't think most of us want) kind of the worst case scenario - it won't be never seeing family and friends again, it will be taking precautions to reduce risk of spread.

Last edited:
Very sad:

Station ticket office worker dies with Covid-19 after being spat at

28294938-8310965-image-a-29_1589276290526.jpg

The Late Belly Mujinga

Anyone who saw Ms Mujinga being spat on at London's Victoria Station on 22 March 2020 can contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 359 of 11/05/20.

Disturbing:

Taxi driver died after fare-dodger spat at him and said he had coronavirus

28658246-8343671-image-a-2_1590058781998.jpg

(Source: As stated in image)

The Late Trevor Belle, who had taken fares up until the day of the attack on 22 March 2020 and was widely acknowledged for having one of the cleanest cabs on the rank, had taken every health precaution while working before the incident on West Ham Lane in Stratford.

He reported the incident to a nearby police van, and he was told the case was not pursuing over a £9 fare.

He did not work after the attack, and four days later started to suffer coronavirus symptoms. Over the course of a few days,
his condition worsened and he struggled to breathe. He was later taken away by paramedics, which was the last time his family saw him alive.

So what the govt are saying is it is 'essential' to travel in a car with someone who has Coronavirus plus a child for 260 miles, therefore putting yourself and child at risk, to be near one's extended family so they can bring you food...REALLY!!! If he needed childcare one assumes the child was placed with the extended family having spent probably 4 hours breathing the virus with the risk this entails and this is acceptable???? FFS. It will be interesting to see who is put out to front his tonight...they really are a bunch of self serving bastards.

The Cummings thing is an absolutely disgusting shitshow. And how the hell is this even framed as a breach (a potential one as that) of travelling in lockdown rules. He's travelled the breadth of the country with the fucking virus, knowingly! :mad: Or is this yet another one of the brilliant reverse psychology stints, because people were too afraid to come out of lockdown, so that we now all say "to hell with the consequences"? It makes me so angry.

On another note, just had a little look how things are going in Germany, and posting this here because I guess experiences are pertinent to UK emerging from lockdown. Quick google and two headlines of the day: 7 infected after restaurant visit in the north of Germany, now 50 contact persons in quarantine and rising as more potential contacts are attempted to be notifed and isolated. 40 people infected after a religious service in Frankfurt. Both the restaurant and the church claim that distancing and hygiene rules were followed, which I guess, they would say and it might not be true. But it might be true, and it might just go to show how massive a role aerosol transmission does play, and that just distancing to minimise droplet infection and hand-hygiene to minimise contact transmission (which in my understanding is a fairly low risk anyway) does precious little in enclosed spaces. :(

I'm starting to see adverts like this one on Facebook:

View attachment 214162
My questions (not targeted at you, elbows - thanks for sharing the info :) ):

How come this is available privately, before via the NHS? (What's the process that means this is possible.)

Why is it available now? (I'm assuming for cash, but if there are any 'good' reasons for this being available via this route, it would be good to hear.)

Is it worth it?

Papers and media are killing people

This is old news, from a behavioural psychology perspective. It’s what the whole nudge unit was founded on. Their first success was in writing to people to tell them the high rate at which other people were paying their taxes, because it was found to encourage recipients of such a letter to pay their own taxes.

The Cummings thing is an absolutely disgusting shitshow. And how the hell is this even framed as a breach (a potential one as that) of travelling in lockdown rules. He's travelled the breadth of the country with the fucking virus, knowingly! :mad: Or is this yet another one of the brilliant reverse psychology stints, because people were too afraid to come out of lockdown, so that we now all say "to hell with the consequences"? It makes me so angry.

On another note, just had a little look how things are going in Germany, and posting this here because I guess experiences are pertinent to UK emerging from lockdown. Quick google and two headlines of the day: 7 infected after restaurant visit in the north of Germany, now 50 contact persons in quarantine and rising as more potential contacts are attempted to be notifed and isolated. 40 people infected after a religious service in Frankfurt. Both the restaurant and the church claim that distancing and hygiene rules were followed, which I guess, they would say and it might not be true. But it might be true, and it might just go to show how massive a role aerosol transmission does play, and that just distancing to minimise droplet infection and hand-hygiene to minimise contact transmission (which in my understanding is a fairly low risk anyway) does precious little in enclosed spaces. :(

Plus risk of a crash calling out essential services, plus risk of breakdown calling out AA for example. As we've been repeatedly told for people who didn't have the virus.

Sounds a bit like confirming the obvious to me. Do we learn anything useful from this?
Evidence is useful, even if it's for what we all already know is the case. Plus, we humans often get a cause or mechanism badly wrong when we rely on intuition and introspection (which can then lead us down all sorts of useless or dangerous paths). It's worth checking things.

My questions (not targeted at you, elbows - thanks for sharing the info :) ):

How come this is available privately, before via the NHS? (What's the process that means this is possible.)

Why is it available now? (I'm assuming for cash, but if there are any 'good' reasons for this being available via this route, it would be good to hear.)

Is it worth it?

It's much harder for it to get official PHE/NHS approval for them to use than to be sold privately after being approved for that. You can get them via the NHS, but antibody testing of the general public has limited value at the moment given what we know about immunity. It is being done for population sampling though I think.

It's available now as it's been developed and there's a market for it. Not sure what you mean more than that?

Within the realms of its claimed accuracy, it depends. It can tell you whether you have had the virus, that's all. Anything about immunity is currently not known for sure.

Full disclosure: I bought one recently from a private provider than sells them to NHS staff as less than cost. My reasoning was nearly 100% curiosity, I was working in a hospital (before infection control and social distancing got strict) with plenty of CV+ patients and for a couple of weeks I had 7-10 days of a cough and feeling very mildly unwell. Either way the result won't change what I do social distancing wise.

Does the Abbott test data from private tests get recorded on a central database anywhere? So would it be included in '5% of people had it' type headlines?

Does the Abbott test data from private tests get recorded on a central database anywhere? So would it be included in '5% of people had it' type headlines?

No idea tbh. Suspect not, it's a small lab in London doing the test I got. Be all sorts of data protection stuff involved, and I didn't see any of those kind of disclaimers or 'tick this box for your...' bits in the paperwork!

Daily briefing ffs. Shapps just talking as much as possible about trains and bikes, hoping the time will run out so none is left for questions I suspect! Felt more like a clear Conservative party political broadcast more than anything CV related tbh.

Back
Top Bottom