Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I dont expect it to be consistent over time because its expected that Omicron is causing far more reinfections than previous variants.

However I also dont expect it to totally change overall trends, eg the recent decline in cases will still show up.

Evolution of the covid patients in hospital beds for/with covid situation. With percentage proportions recently influenced by the different timing of the peaks and the lack of decline seen in 'with' cases yet.

Data goes up to 25th Jan and is from the 'Primary Diagnoses Supplement' thats published weekly on Thursdays at Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 14.04.jpg

The guidance remains to wear one in a bunch of settings inluding crowded indoor places where you are mixing with people you dont normally mix with. However this sort of guidance doesnt get much of a look-in compared to all the news stories about the formal laws being removed.

The likes of Sainsburys and Tescos have asked people to keep wearing masks but we know from the past that these words only carry a little weight and enforcement is another matter entirely.

No apparent change around where I am in supermarkets - I think it's been only people who deliberately want to wear masks who do for a while. Everybody knows that nothing is ever enforced; I get the impression that regulations are just one of many things that influence people's estimation of covid risk, and an increasingly minor one.

Have noticed covid situation seems much more marked in primaries than secondaries, presumably as most kids in the latter have at least one jab. Presumably somewhere they are breaking down stats for under 12s and 12-18s?

Have noticed covid situation seems much more marked in primaries than secondaries, presumably as most kids in the latter have at least one jab. Presumably somewhere they are breaking down stats for under 12s and 12-18s?

There is a supplementary document with the weekly surveillance report that features a large number of graphs that break things down by year group.

Click on Surveillance in 'educational-age' cohorts in the contents page and be ready for a bewildering array of charts.

I'd not look for a single explanation for primary and secondary differences because vaccination rates havent been really amazing and there is plenty of vaccine breakthrough when it comes to infection. So probably better to combine that side of things with different mitigation attempts, different magnitude of very high peaks in the past in secondary ages compared to primary, ongoing different timing in different age groups, and perhaps Omicron has some properties that gives it more potential for easy primary school spread. And even where primary school rates recently stick out compared to secondary, there are still some upward trends in secondary education.

Triggle alert !

Useful graphics, but NT is back on the "herd immunity" band-waggon, but without actually ever saying so ...
{apart from a reference to rethinking zero-covid approaches}

Triggle is happy that a broder array of experts say things that are compatible with his spin these days than used to e the case. I note that he points to a particular Guardian article that further demonstrates that, but I dont really expect him to point to the following one!

of course the international community, need to get on and get vaccines to the worlds poorest. but asking England to continue with restrictionsuntil the rest of the world has been vaccinated, is more than a bit daft. TBF I haven’t read the article, that might just be poor headline writing by the Guardian.

but NT is back on the "herd immunity" band-waggon,
What exactly do you mean by that?

Earlier on, it might have referred to an attitude that we should build up immunity just by letting it spread, rather than waiting for vaccines first, to make it a less risky strategy.

We now have a population that is about as vaccinated as it's going to get, and seemingly fairly good evidence that the combination of this and the Omicron variant mean that hospitalisation and death rates are nothing like what they were a year or so ago. What do you want to happen instead? If it's further restrictions then what's your threshold for lifting them?

I was pleased that most customers in the (hot, airless) post office had masks on yesterday. Although most of them were Chinese students, who seem to consistently be careful and diligent with mask use.

I need another negative PCR for an upcoming flight, which is tedious. I'd like to go out and see some friends this weekend, but it's a bit too cold to sit outside.

of course the international community, need to get on and get vaccines to the worlds poorest. but asking England to continue with restrictionsuntil the rest of the world has been vaccinated, is more than a bit daft. TBF I haven’t read the article, that might just be poor headline writing by the Guardian.

The substance is all about getting the world vacinated and not pretending its all over in the meantime.

It is inevitable that such a topic will hint at worst-case possibilities that include another variant popping up elsewhere at some point in future which then causes a setback in the UKs own situation. Because thats perceived as being a risk that may force countries like the Uk to take the global vaccine situation seriously. So far it hasnt worked out that way.

And yes the usual Guardian sloppiness did feature and already led to this at the bottom of the article:

This article was amended on 28 January 2021 to clarify that the accusation of recklessness made in the letter was in relation to the failure to get vaccinations to poorer countries.

Such angles are an oversimplification with contradictions anyway because until/unless we get a different class of vaccines that do more to knock transmission and infection on the head, there seems to remain plenty of potential for new variants to pop up even in heavily vaccinated populations. Indeed the presence of much immunity, via previous infection or vaccination, is something that provides much selection pressure for strains of the virus that can bypass existing immunity. Some narratives ignore this and so these days there is much double-think when vaccines and the end of the pandemic are discussed.

We've been told in the past that the more infections are allowed to happen, the more mutation opportunities the virus has. But I dont hear much of that concept being applied to the likes of the UK with its staggeringly high number of Omicron infections these days.

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by that?

Earlier on, it might have referred to an attitude that we should build up immunity just by letting it spread, rather than waiting for vaccines first, to make it a less risky strategy.

We now have a population that is about as vaccinated as it's going to get, and seemingly fairly good evidence that the combination of this and the Omicron variant mean that hospitalisation and death rates are nothing like what they were a year or so ago. What do you want to happen instead? If it's further restrictions then what's your threshold for lifting them?

We can still point out the similarities between the original plan a and the 'herd immunity justification' that went with it, and the approach the government first set out almost a year ago and then acted upon from approximately July 2021 onwards.

However if we scratch below the surface then the original 'herd immunity' thing doest actually apply anyway - the concept of herd immunity involves immunity in the general population having reached levels which makes it hard for the virus to persist at high levels, therefore protecting those who still dont have immunity, by denying the virus many opportunities to reach those people. We clearly dont have a situation where that sort of protective effect is actually in play, due to reinfections and vaccine breakthrough. Perhaps we will get there one day if the evolution of the virus slows and we end up with new vaccines that can do more on the transmission and infection front, perhaps not.

Whether that should make any real difference to the chosen government approach these days depends on whether genuine herd immunity was actually a real part of the original approach, or whether it was just a fake justification used to justify a 'do little' approach at the start of the pandemic.

So with real herd immunity not currently on the agenda, we have different framing involving 'endemic levels' of the virus instead, and protection against severe disease and death. And when people mention herd immunity its just sloppy short-hand, what people are really talking about is how similar the approach is to the original favoured approach, the orthodox approach before authorities realised that they would need lockdowns etc to make the numbers add up. When it comes to severe disease and death, I have very much moved with the times now in that I acknowledge that the numbers game is very different now. Authorities in many countries figure that their original preference for dealing with this virus, pharmaceutical measures rather than heavy non-pharmaceutical measures, is now increasingly viable, for now at least. I'll still feel the need to point out that there can still be future setbacks to the progress made, in theory new variants or vaccine waning can still change the numbers game in a negative way in future. I would not have us all sitting at home in the meantime, but neither would I push rhetoric about it all being over too far. Nor would I want to forget all about those who remain vulnerable, or pay absolutely no attention at all to high levels of viral prevalence, since those increase the future risk of setbacks in my opinion. In practical terms this means I would not be encouraging the abandonment of masks, but its an uphill struggle to get people to take the middle ground and stop seeing things only in binary terms of 'really heavy measures or no measures'. Just as its an uphill battle to get people to still take seriously the health consequences that are not of the same magnitude as the levels of hospitalisation and death seen in the first two waves, every time we get a period of easing of restrictions these milder consequences are brushed under the carpet. I dont think I'm going to be pleased with the level of type 1 diabetes onset that will eventually show up in data for the Omicron period, for example, unless we get lucky and the properties of Omicron also happen to reduce the diabetes risk compared to whats emerging in regards the variants of previous waves triggering diabetes.

Personally I would have appreciated at least the option to vaccinate my under 12 kids.

Much can be done to shift the evolutionary arms race in humanity’s favour. First, we must set aside lazy optimism. Second, we must be realistic about the likely levels of death, disability and sickness. Targets set for reduction should consider that circulating virus risks giving rise to new variants. Third, we must use — globally — the formidable weapons available: effective vaccines, antiviral medications, diagnostic tests and a better understanding of how to stop an airborne virus through mask wearing, distancing, and air ventilation and filtration. Fourth, we must invest in vaccines that protect against a broader range of variants.

Thinking that endemicity is both mild and inevitable is more than wrong, it is dangerous: it sets humanity up for many more years of disease, including unpredictable waves of outbreaks. It is more productive to consider how bad things could get if we keep giving the virus opportunities to outwit us. Then we might do more to ensure that this does not happen.

Personally I would have appreciated at least the option to vaccinate my under 12 kids.
And, somewhere in the region of 4 million adults ... no. I'm wrong it's a lot more !

NIMS counts a smidgeon over 62.5 million people in that system, including approx 8.25 under 12s.
By 26th January 2022, approx 52.25 million of them have had at least one dose of vaccine.

So, still some way to go !

E2A - Still not forgetting those with medical problems that preclude working vaccination as an option, for whom masks etc are still important.

I cant say that the peak in detected positive cases had vastly different timing in my town.

However, when it comes to the local hospital, I see a different picture. Whether this is down to things happening in the broader community or whether its been driven by hospital outbreaks or care home outbreaks I cannot currently say:

Daily hospital admissions/diagnoses:

admissions.jpg

Number of covid patients in hospital beds:

beds.jpg

Note that when it came to an infamous previous hospital outbreak here, the spike in the period prior to July 2020 (by which time it had been squashed) was a hospital outbreak, one of the most vivid ones seen in any graphs of NHS trusts in England.

And local press stories like this one:

Something I have noticed in the England numbers - the proportion of "LFD only" test results goes up massively during/post Omicron wave - why's that?

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 17.28.12.jpg

Something to do with the fact that a big proportion of positive tests are now in the under 15 age category? Much less likely to be seriously ill, so maybe much less likely to seek further confirmation with a PCR? That growth in purple correlates pretty well with the surge in rates after schools went back.

berkshire seems to be becoming plague central

View attachment 307810

covid cases up almost 50% week on week in wokingham borough

😷

Yeah, the pattern of drops and subsequent rises in daily positive case figures also show up as being different for a whole bunch of places down South.

For example Reading:

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 17.58.27.png

I'm also seeing a different pattern in daily hospital admissions/diagnoses in the oldest age groups when I look at regions such as the South East.

I've got way too many graphs to even begin to present them all, so here are just two to begin to illustrate this difference.

North West:

northwest.jpg

South East:

southeasth.jpg

A final though on my recent flu posts:

Frankly the amount of testing for influenza and the nature of sentinel surveillance, and almost non-existent surveillance of the other existing human coronaviruses means that I cannot even be sure that every bad epidemic and wave of death this country experienced in the last 50 years was actually a straightforward story of influenza epidemics. I'm not going to make wild claims about whether we had a bad wave of coronavirus deaths as part of the real picture of those years, but neither can I entirely exclude the possibility.

Also my brother developed type 1 diabetes in the wake of the 1989 wave so I have a special interest in the subject and try to keep as many angles open as possible, given that his son developed type 1 diabetes in the current pandemic.
Interesting points about 'flu. Here's a very prescient article in the Guardian about the 'flu pandemic of 1957 - interesting how history repeats?
A cavalier Tory leader and a botched pandemic response? It must be 1957 | Andy Beckett

Back
Top Bottom