Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Corbyn & Cabinet in the Media

but i'm not. i'm simply saying people who say he's had three days to talk about welfare are forgetting the 120 days of the leadership contest.

but he can't set policy.

To avoid ruining the metaphor won't say what the cart is and what the horse. I'm sure we can agree at present the whole thing isn't lashed together particularly tightly at the mo. if he gone done the I got 60%!, I got 60%! To idealism and beyond! Fuck Angela Eagle and the Labour manifesto policy committee! hi ho silver! Probably be a loud bang shortly after. Or the horse leaves the cart behind depending on whats-what in the metiphor.

Doing it the way he's doing it will add wisdom of crowds to policy and investment of effort in it (whatever it ends up as). And it is what needs to happen , For a long time now party membership (all parties) has been pointless, there to be tapped for cash and help fill out photos, when some bloke comes down from their ivory tower to tell people of their increasing vacuous plans. I'm sure Corbyn wouldn't use ivory for his tower but it would still be a tower if he doesn't sort the engagement mechanisms out first.

bit worrying though, nothing concrete on social security at all really yet, a largely unknown to shadow the DWP, no shadow ministers for disabled people or employment announced so far, given Labour;s track record it's not looking great

Very worrying indeed, one got the impression from his rallies, and the audience response this would be a key policy area, it certainly is for the Tories, it is at the heart of their agenda.

11998912_1019100024790546_7982142662415820678_n.jpg

Some of these memes are very valuable in the fight indeed.

In case you didn't notice, his whole campaign was kickstarted by his opposition to the welfare bill. He is avowedly opposed to tory cuts. Its pretty obvious he is on the side of claimants, even if he hasn't got a full proposal for what benefits will exist under his dictatorship

thinking about it, he said in an interview that changing perceptions on benefit claimants will be a long term and difficult process, not surprised, CH5 for instance now has wall to wall 'scrounger' propaganda.

"a compulsory jobs guarantee that would ensure that anyone under 25 who has been receiving jobseeker’s allowance for a year, and anyone over 25 who has been receiving jobseeker’s allowance for two years, would be offered a paid job"

what a cunt

under threat of sanctions though.

If I was in Corbyn's position I'd try and avoid getting mired in a discussion about welfare, it's a toxic area at the moment.

So what?, JC raised it in all his rallies, people who felt abandoned and demonised felt hopeful for the first time in many years they would be listened to and that the attacks would be repulsed, otherwise what the difference with Blairism on this crucial issue where as Smoked Out(who really knows his stuff on this) and our thread on the deceased, is causing misery and death..

Last edited:
How can you defend this?
he backed a piece of Labour policy that he knew would have no chance of getting through. It was making a point about the tories' failure to deal with youth unemployment. Rebelling against it would have undermined that point. Maybve ont the perfect tactic, but to say that that one example equates to a "history of voting for forced work schemes for example, backed by the benefit sanctions he says he opposes" is just bollocks

Bollocks to that, take it on directly. Make a moral case for it. Point out the actual scale of the welfare claims compared to the state pension and lost tax revenues. Oppose.

This is what I expected of him, I notice Owen Jones also seems to be backtracking on things, but of course it is early days.

Simon Jenkins lead (full page) comment piece in the Standard, about Sadiq Khan, finished:

"These are early days in the life cycle of new old Labour but the stakes are high for both Khan and Corbyn. Throughout the mayoral campaign Khan will remain a whipped Labour MP, probably against a Tory with a record of glamorous rebellion and dissent. The best advice must be for him to run against Corbyn, to have clear water between him and the Leftist mafia now in the party ascendant. He must show himself to his own man with his own personality. To put it mildly, he has nothing to lose."

Leftist mafia :facepalm: Don Corbyloni
---

on another note I think Corbyn looks on screen a little tired, hungry and irritated. Its one thing to try and not play the usual media games, but I would advise he have a weekend off, a couple of pints, and come back to this a little cooler and cheerier. I think "people" respond to leaders that come across as confident - at the moment Corbyn gives off a few nerves. He should be high after the campaign, and all the affection he has received from the public... but it doesnt really feel that way in terms of media snapshots.

Unlike the likes of Blair Brown Cameron Johnson etc, Corbyn never hungered for the top job - they all dreamt of it, coveted it, and thought they deserve it - I'm worried Corbyn comes across a little reluctant in the role < from a media presentation point of view only.

I'll post this here rather than the big thread, because his media approach is linked to the policy direction, both of which seem unclear to me. He's been giving it the no tie, informal, other people can do pmqs, new style of politics thing. He's also, presumably, been allowing people to come straight out of meetings where he offers them a job stating how much they still disagree with him. He hasn't been doing too many set piece interviews. There's a lot that's good in all that, it's just possible that a reduced spin, speaking in normal language approach could work with voters. However the whole thing actually seems a bit un-thought through. I suspect he'll be keeping the basic spin/media apparatus in place - because let's not forget, he is a career politician - but even if it's early days, he doesn't really know what to do with it.

Same on policy, lots of sensible appeals to restoring social democracy, laudable words on equality, but I'm not sure there's much there as a package or strategy. Does he (or McDonnell) really know what will happen, when they start chasing companies up to pay their taxes? What about all the Labour councils who have been and continue to impose austerity and sack thousands of workers? Will he push them into a non-compliance approach? Will he get them to build resistance in their own communities?

I'm entirely guilty of asking too much on day 3, certainly. Still, I haven't seen much that is creative or that really thinks about linking parliamentary forces with wider class forces. I'm glad he won and that thousands have been enlivened, returned to politics and all that. I'm just not sure what the project is at a policy or operational level.

There was a quote from a Tory, not sure where, that some of the major big cities where working so closely with Osborne with the 'Northern Powerhouse, they had basically declared UDI from Westminister, etc.

I wonder why the media might choose shots of him looking tired and irritable to accompany their stories about him being an out of his depth flaky dinosaur?
its on video too, in speeches etc - i think theres some truth in it!
ultimately its about presentation though...

He doesn't give a fuck about presentation, and has told the media to go fuck themselves. Whether that's a tactic that'll work remains to be seen, but he's not about to scrub up now.

The absurd and hysterical media attacks on Corbyn can not possibly be sustained for 5 years at this level. They may well backfire too.

Therefore, I'd anticipate that the pressure and tactics will change at some point, more nonsense puff for the tories, attacks on the social movement beyond just Corbyn.

There will also be lots of "sober dissection" of the opposition, mostly for the effect of saying "look how sober we are being", thus making any slams against him seem more credible.

So, peaks and troughs, sturm und drang, false efforts to appear reasonable, then putting the boot good and proper at key points.

In other words, the classic patterns of the abuser.

Yes, they will attack the people and the movements around him, and sadly there are some dodgy individuals and outfits.

While formulating policy need to get an opposition block of against votes on repressive legislation to minimise
Damage being done by Tories ramming through legislation - but all seems quite unclear at the moment - they need a strategy I don't see one so far

Simon Jenkins lead (full page) comment piece in the Standard, about Sadiq Khan, finished:

"These are early days in the life cycle of new old Labour but the stakes are high for both Khan and Corbyn. Throughout the mayoral campaign Khan will remain a whipped Labour MP, probably against a Tory with a record of glamorous rebellion and dissent. The best advice must be for him to run against Corbyn, to have clear water between him and the Leftist mafia now in the party ascendant. He must show himself to his own man with his own personality. To put it mildly, he has nothing to lose."

Leftist mafia :facepalm: Don Corbyloni
---

on another note I think Corbyn looks on screen a little tired, hungry and irritated. Its one thing to try and not play the usual media games, but I would advise he have a weekend off, a couple of pints, and come back to this a little cooler and cheerier. I think "people" respond to leaders that come across as confident - at the moment Corbyn gives off a few nerves. He should be high after the campaign, and all the affection he has received from the public... but it doesnt really feel that way in terms of media snapshots.

Unlike the likes of Blair Brown Cameron Johnson etc, Corbyn never hungered for the top job - they all dreamt of it, coveted it, and thought they deserve it - I'm worried Corbyn comes across a little reluctant in the role < from a media presentation point of view only.

Yes, he looks a fair bit different than before the campaign, he has done 100 meetings across the whole of the UK, sometimes three in a day, plus overspill ones,, he really should have a break, Cameron has plenty, and deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom