Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The collapsing media landscape

Vice was historically very blokey in a Nathan Barley sort of way. An all-female editorial meeting might well have been quite a significant marker of cultural change.

It just seems a really weird thing to pretend that you are incensed by. But then you’re fucking weird, Dwyer.
It's not their gender uniformity that's the problem. It's their class uniformity. Maybe it's illegible to Brits, but that's what strikes an American--they're all from identical class backgrounds.

It's not their gender uniformity that's the problem. It's their class uniformity. Maybe it's illegible to Brits, but that's what strikes an American--they're all from identical class backgrounds.

I can’t be bothered to argue the toss with a madman about whether social class can be divined from the information in that photograph, or whether Americans could do so better than Brits. Nor should you be encouraged any more in derailing a quite useful thread about the media landscape.

I can’t be bothered to argue the toss with a madman about whether social class can be divined from the information in that photograph, or whether Americans could do so better than Brits. Nor should you be encouraged any more in derailing a quite useful thread about the media landscape.
I believe that the UK MSM suffers from a similar class uniformity, and also from a similar blindness to that uniformity. Basically it's all run by poshboys and poshgirls, but because everyone they've ever met is from the same background, they don't even notice. And they wouldn't see anything wrong with it if they did. And I think you're one of them.

Vice sold lots of sponsored content and brand partnerships but that’s a fickle business. Once your audience isn’t what the brands want, they move on to TikTok or wherever else. Or brands get hit by a recession and cut spending altogether.

Right. If you ever claim to speak on behalf on all Americans one more time you will be banned forever.

As a trolling technique, it's on a piss-poor par with 'My PM box is full of messages of support" and I've had enough.

Thing is yes the mainstream UK media does have a degree of class uniformity, but so do the grifters you think are telling truth to power. For the most part it isn't horny-handed sons and daughters of toil who are buying expensive camera equipment and spending eight hour shifts bollocking about on Youtube, or shouting the odds on Gbeebies, it's middle class blokes. The grifterverse is generally about the least diverse collection of babbling fuckwits it's possible to find. Jacob Rees Mogg and Nigel Farage are leading lights and about as posh as it gets. Beyond a handful of useful idiots like Suella Braverman it's a resolutely white space.

Last edited:

Would that be different at, say, Vice magazine?

i wonder how much of that was based on the common speculative tech model of spend money you dont make and see what happens in the future
The model is to throw money at it until you gain a big enough audience/user base that some company with deep pockets (and no clue) buys you out and then totally ruins the platform by trying to monetise it (aka ‘enshittification’). There’s kind of a golden period for users before this happens, but never any day to day profit to make it sustainable. The owners gain from selling out, not running it as it is. See Twitter as a recent example (subscriptions, more ads etc.)

Sometimes sites are bought out by those wanting political influence, same as it always was with newspapers. These will reflect or promote the world of people wealthy enough to do this.

It's not uncommon for big money types to buy them out specifically with the intent of destroying their previous function - see Twitter, or the Sun. The latter being done with considerably more skill, of course. Vice was interesting because it was founded by massive bell-ends and improved over time.

Shame about Vice. Liked some of their programmes like 'Abandoned' and 'Post Radical'.

Back
Top Bottom