Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Corbyn & Cabinet in the Media

Lifting people out of eligibility for tax credits (by giving them higher wages), I can support. But those that are left behind...they should not be penalised.

Lifting people out of eligibility for tax credits (by giving them higher wages), I can support. But those that are left behind...they should not be penalised.
but if they are in work, they wont be left behind. And if they're not in work, they wont be getting working tax credit. For those who don't work that many hours, there needs to be a replacement, but getting rid of subsidies for bad bosses if basically sensible.

because it wouldn't be a move towards a basic income (which I would support, much better than our shitty benefits system), it would simply be a continued subsidy to shit employers

OK, so Corbyn's policy on Tax Credits is the same as Osbornes, and will not make anyone better off. And he voted for workfare. I'm just not seeing this radical new dawn thing.

OK, so Corbyn's policy on Tax Credits is the same as Osbornes, and will not make anyone better off. And he voted for workfare. I'm just not seeing this radical new dawn thing.
It isnt, and that is a rather large distortion of reality. And its hard to see anything when you have your head shoved up your arse.

I'll post this here rather than the big thread, because his media approach is linked to the policy direction, both of which seem unclear to me. He's been giving it the no tie, informal, other people can do pmqs, new style of politics thing. He's also, presumably, been allowing people to come straight out of meetings where he offers them a job stating how much they still disagree with him. He hasn't been doing too many set piece interviews. There's a lot that's good in all that, it's just possible that a reduced spin, speaking in normal language approach could work with voters. However the whole thing actually seems a bit un-thought through. I suspect he'll be keeping the basic spin/media apparatus in place - because let's not forget, he is a career politician - but even if it's early days, he doesn't really know what to do with it.

Same on policy, lots of sensible appeals to restoring social democracy, laudable words on equality, but I'm not sure there's much there as a package or strategy. Does he (or McDonnell) really know what will happen, when they start chasing companies up to pay their taxes? What about all the Labour councils who have been and continue to impose austerity and sack thousands of workers? Will he push them into a non-compliance approach? Will he get them to build resistance in their own communities?

I'm entirely guilty of asking too much on day 3, certainly. Still, I haven't seen much that is creative or that really thinks about linking parliamentary forces with wider class forces. I'm glad he won and that thousands have been enlivened, returned to politics and all that. I'm just not sure what the project is at a policy or operational level.

Politics Live - Corbyn commits Labour to full opposition to welfare bill and benefits cap

The tory cunt

yes we know that, but how does he plan to make things better, Labour opposing a Tory bill to cut benefits is business as usual, despite the recent abberation. why should I, or any claimant, be excited?

Corbyn stands silent during mer-mer-mer-mer sneer wibble

Seriously fucking pathetic, Guardian. What about the lass on the left, anyway? Presumably it's okay she's got her mouth shut because she's clearly wearing a really posh hat.

This is a good thing yeah?
He wants monachy to die so singing to extend the life of the current monarch would be hypocritical yes?

They should be praising him for being respectful enough to stand there quietly instead of counter singing You can stick your fuckimg queen, stick yer fucking queen, stick yer fucking queen up yer arse, sideways.

I'm entirely guilty of asking too much on day 3, certainly. Still, I haven't seen much that is creative or that really thinks about linking parliamentary forces with wider class forces. I'm glad he won and that thousands have been enlivened, returned to politics and all that. I'm just not sure what the project is at a policy or operational level.

We'll see what happens, this is the start of a road thats either going to collapse or repair some of the damage been done to politics the last 30 years. Only time will tell.

For my part, I'm fully on board with the "Stony silence to journalists, because seriously whatever he says they are going to go mental and its fucking childish" policy he seems to be embracing.

No it isn't since they won't apply to the same groups of people or be of the same order of magnitude (see the Institute for Fiscal Studies for more detail)....he might say its his plan but that is not the same thing at all.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

So might Corbyn. In the absence of clear proposals than Corbyn's policy of cutting the benefits bill by raising wages leaves a lot of questions, because on paper thats what Osborne has said.

yes we know that, but how does he plan to make things better, Labour opposing a Tory bill to cut benefits is business as usual, despite the recent abberation. why should I, or any claimant, be excited?
because you actually have a Labour leader who is opposed to the attacks on benefits that every other labour leader has supported for the past twenty years? I know lots of claimants, and they overwhelmingly said they think he's the only fucker who appears to be on their side.

i think lets wait and see on this - a bit early to argue over...

it's never to early to argue over

(without being flippant, all this give him a chance, let him settle in stuff is the wrong strategy - he needs to be pushed now, do you think the right of the Labour Party are sitting around waiting for him to settle in, he'll be in the centre ground before he's got his slippers on at this rate)

So might Corbyn. In the absence of clear proposals than Corbyn's policy of cutting the benefits bill by raising wages leaves a lot of questions, because on paper thats what Osborne has said.
Now you're just desperate. Admit defeat and stfu. Or at least wait until you have got something concrete up back your assertions up with.

Sorry but your reply doesn't seem to make sense; it may well be me, but perhaps you could edit it to make it a bit clearer. Also I wasn't commenting on Corbyn, merely pointing out that there is good evidence that Osborne has no plan.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

because you actually have a Labour leader who is opposed to the attacks on benefits that every other labour leader has supported for the past twenty years?

we've just had five years of Labour opposing attacks on benefits whilst coming up with their own shit that's just as bad, which Corbyn voted for

Sorry but your reply doesn't seem to make sense; it may well be me, but perhaps you could edit it to make it a bit clearer. Also I wasn't commenting on Corbyn, merely pointing out that there is good evidence that Osborne has no plan.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Both Corbyn and Osborne agree with raising wages to cut the benefits bill. Osborne's plan will actually leave people worse off. We don't know what corbyn's plan will do because he doesn't seem to have one yet, or at least not one he's prepared to admit.

Corbyn stands silent during mer-mer-mer-mer sneer wibble

Seriously fucking pathetic, Guardian. What about the lass on the left, anyway? Presumably it's okay she's got her mouth shut because she's clearly wearing a really posh hat.

Is this the lowest they can go? This comment from Cif sums them up.

"When did The Guardian turn into The Sun? Who the fuck cares if he didn't sing the national anthem. Get over it!"

Both Corbyn and Osborne agree with raising wages to cut the benefits bill. Osborne's plan will actually leave people worse off. We don't know what corbyn's plan will do because he doesn't seem to have one yet, or at least not one he's prepared to admit.
lol

We'll see what happens, this is the start of a road thats either going to collapse or repair some of the damage been done to politics the last 30 years. Only time will tell.

For my part, I'm fully on board with the "Stony silence to journalists, because seriously whatever he says they are going to go mental and its fucking childish" policy he seems to be embracing.

guardian reduced to writing pieces on whether his lips moved during the national anthem (last sentence of this):
Corbyn stands silent for national anthem at Battle of Britain service

It will certainly be interesting. New Labour grew up around a media strategy of cultivated links, Campbell's bullying, spin and all that. In the context of conventional neo-liberal politics that was actually successful. I couldn't do that, I detest both the means and the ends of new labour, but I don't know what Corbyn will do, whether he really will abandon all those structures and links.

Back
Top Bottom