Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Corbyn & Cabinet in the Media

some front pages today

_85548495_tim15.jpg

Just read the times cover article in a cafe. Absolutely nothing in it. Some stuff from unnamed 'senior sources' and then a bunch of non-attacks from named union leaders. For example, Paul Kenny of the GMB is quoted as saying 'let's see what the voters say, because, at the end of the day they really are the important ones'. Desperate stuff.

Corbyn has a history of voting for forced work schemes for example, backed by the benefit sanctions he says he opposes: TheyWorkForYou
"a compulsory jobs guarantee that would ensure that anyone under 25 who has been receiving jobseeker’s allowance for a year, and anyone over 25 who has been receiving jobseeker’s allowance for two years, would be offered a paid job"

what a cunt

Just read the times cover article in a cafe. Absolutely nothing in it. Some stuff from unnamed 'senior sources' and then a bunch of non-attacks from named union leaders. For example, Paul Kenny of the GMB is quoted as saying 'let's see what the voters say, because, at the end of the day they really are the important ones'. Desperate stuff.
its a funny headline - clearly made out of doublespeak

"a compulsory jobs guarantee that would ensure that anyone under 25 who has been receiving jobseeker’s allowance for a year, and anyone over 25 who has been receiving jobseeker’s allowance for two years, would be offered a paid job"

what a cunt

A compulsory job, backed by benefit sanctions, which involves 35 hours work a week for 25 hours pay at the minimum wage. Meaning some claimants after travel costs would have less money, and have to work more hours than under the Tory's workfare scheme. And this is for private companies not charities like currently. 260 hours unpaid work. yes, what a cunt.

A compulsory job, backed by benefit sanctions, which involves 35 hours work a week for 25 hours pay at the minimum wage. Meaning some claimants after travel costs would have less money, and have to work more hours than under the Tory's workfare scheme. And this is for private companies not charities like currently. 260 hours unpaid work. yes, what a cunt.
sorry, yes, he is just the same as Hitler.

well he's got lots of policies in other areas.
He does seem to complete evade the question of welfare. See this short interview:

I agree that his solutions are a way to reduce the benefits bill, but benefits are already too low and he makes no indication of looking at that. Maybe he's been advised to keep quiet on it by advisors?

Look forward to hearing what he comes up with.

He does seem to complete evade the question of welfare. See this short interview:

I agree that his solutions are a way to reduce the benefits bill, but benefits are already too low and he makes no indication of looking at that. Maybe he's been advised to keep quiet on it by advisors?

Look forward to hearing what he comes up with.

he doesn't avoid it there, he answers the questions put to him. He's not asked about what level benefits should be paid at, so he doesn't say anything about them.

he doesn't avoid it there, he answers the questions put to him. He's not asked about what level benefits should be paid at, so he doesn't say anything about them.
He does avoid it. His policy on welfare so far is: I'll minimise the need for it, and its impact on society. That's not a policy on welfare.

If I was in Corbyn's position I'd try and avoid getting mired in a discussion about welfare, it's a toxic area at the moment.

He does avoid it. His policy on welfare so far is: I'll minimise the need for it, and its impact on society. That's not a policy on welfare.
I didnt say it was a policy, but it isn't avoiding giving one either. he answers the questions put to him, you cant blame him if he wasn't asked the question you wanted. He talked about reducing the welfare bill by creating decent jobs and stopping private landlords' HB rip off. It's obviously not full communism now, but it is very clearly opposed to any cuts to current levels of benefit. Which is the key thing at the moment

If I was in Corbyn's position I'd try and avoid getting mired in a discussion about welfare, it's a toxic area at the moment.
Really?

As the Tories mount an unprecedented attack on welfare that would have had even Thatcher wincing?

I don't see how he can, or should, possibly avoid a discussion about welfare.

And I'm with smokedout on his workfare history. We shouldn't be afraid to call him on his record.

I didnt say it was a policy, but it isn't avoiding giving one either. he answers the questions put to him, you cant blame him if he wasn't asked the question you wanted. He talked about reducing the welfare bill by creating decent jobs and stopping private landlords' HB rip off. It's obviously not full communism now, but it is very clearly opposed to any cuts to current levels of benefit. Which is the key thing at the moment
No, the key thing isn't holding on to what we have...it's reversing the cuts! They were already set too low, and they need to go up.

Why doesn't he commit to reversing the bedroom tax?

Interviewing: You would cut in work tax credits, would you?
JC: I would raise wages.

Why no explicit denial?

No, the key thing isn't holding on to what we have...it's reversing the cuts! They were already set too low, and they need to go up.

Why no explicit denial?
There's an argument there that tax credits are a subsidy to underpaying employers, so I'm with him on that - the solution to in-work poverty is indeed higher wages.

There's an argument there that tax credits are a subsidy to underpaying employers, so I'm with him on that - the solution to in-work poverty is indeed higher wages.
I agree with him. But if he raises wages, he won't need to cut tax credits. So why not come out and say it?

Why no explicit denial?
because the key thing is about raising wages, i imagine.

Why not higher wages and tax credits, a move towards a basic income, not a move away
because it wouldn't be a move towards a basic income (which I would support, much better than our shitty benefits system), it would simply be a continued subsidy to shit employers

Really?

As the Tories mount an unprecedented attack on welfare that would have had even Thatcher wincing?

I don't see how he can, or should, possibly avoid a discussion about welfare.

And I'm with smokedout on his workfare history. We shouldn't be afraid to call him on his record.

I said at the moment, discussion is fine but don't get bogged down. Get all your policies in place and your argument structured then make your case, fight the battles on your own ground at the time of your choosing. That's what I would do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom