Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Corbyn & Cabinet in the Media

similarly this is (a) reason why Trews was arse- how often did he go off into a global consciousness shift the paragdim one? instant hippy warning

A key thing about conspiralunacy, which it shares with many other misguided forms of thinking, is the reduction of complex phenomena to a single Thing - a nice easy noun to remember. So instead of saying that most outlets of news and current affairs media are controlled by a small number of international conglomerates, most of whose employees (at least those with any degree of editorial control) are either explicitly part of the very elites that they claim to hold to account, or at least share the class interests of their bosses, it's easier just to say (and think) lame-stream media without engaging the brain.

Similar to how I use the amount of badges someone is wearing as a sign of their unhinged/shit politics.

One badge = fine.
Two badges = hmmm, OK fair enough, but be careful.
Three badges = possibly getting into quite odd territory.
Loads of badges = quite obviously potty.

There's something about the size of badges and whether they're located on the clothes or a hat too, but that's getting into too much detail. ;)

I have a Unison badge on my work bag. Is that OK?

what about the age of the badge? Surely a vintage free mandela badge is fine.

Now I'm wondering if there is a trade in lefty campaign badges from pre 2000

Yeah, a complex algorithm involving the age, image/content, and size of badge is in development, for iPhone app first, but Android will follow shortly after. But until then just going by number of badges is a good start.

Well, it's complicated. A very old badge tends to suggest some deep seated connection to an issue or person possibly long passed. And how many times must that person have taken the badge on/off and looked after it so as not to lose it, all possibly significant indicators. See, it's almost worth a PhD I'm sure. :p

I think you will find I didn't mention lying.
You think politics is a question yes and no answers?

Unless you think Corbyn might actually 'press the button', then in your contribution to the Labour Leadership thread you are asking him to lie (remember it is no secret that he is and has been a unilateralist).

Not all politics is about yes and no answers, but where the answer is obvious to every body (would a unilateralist of many decades standing authorize the launching of nuclear weapons....well let me think?) then coming out with some prevaricating bullshit that everybody knows to be untrue is ultimately counter productive.

What I can't fathom is why you want to be treated with such cynical disrespect, unless of course you believe it's not designed for clever old gimesumtruf, but is intended for consumption by all the other idiots.

Louis MacNeice

Mandela is probably fine, one of those 'Nuclear power? No thanks.' badges or car stickers, especially in a foreign language, is not permissible.

My awesome next door neighbours (veterans of Greenham etc) did a new years' poster which was a colour photocopy of all their badges from campaigns from the 1970s up until now. It was amusing and impressive and fascinating at the same time. Ours came with a nice note about how it's great to live next door to us. Even the most cynical git on here can't find fault with that, surely? :cool:

They don't wear badges any more, but do regularly put a placard from a demo they have been on in their front window...

Wow. I never knew that. Etymology always fascinates me. I now want to go out and read a book on it. :)
Try and find a copy of Clan Flapdragaon and Other Adventures, that's an entertaining wee read. And Online Etymology Dictionary can help you waste many hours* of the day.

* Hours - from the Greek, hora, which actually meant any subdivision if time within a day, a month or even a year. Note the similarity to the Proto-Indo European word, yor-a, from whence comes our 'year'

Back
Top Bottom