Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Colombia vs England (R16) - 19:00 - 03/07/2018

Final Score

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The ref must have felt pretty lonely out there last night - mad game to ref, certainly in that first half. I seriously thought he was going to cave in over the England pen in that 3 minute wait. Probably should have booked a couple of the Colombia lads who were in his face then. The var didn't help him over the headbutt. Isn't there something in the rules about only having the captain come up to the ref when they want an explanation of a decision (have a vague idea that was being emphasised in the Prem instructions to refs one year)? Don't know what he said, if anything, but he should have at least warned the Colombia captain to get a grip of his team at some point. Dark arts were at the level of Leeds United circa 1972. Equally, England got a few decisions in their favour as the game went on.

2Jbni.png

We really did; was honestly surprised we got away with a couple, both dives and fouls.
There was one fall with no contact that Kane did that was so convincing ... id love to see another replay of that ... really higher level cheating... the leg movement was so well done it could only be practiced

Holding out for a senior bod to authorise showing the second half on a big screen.

They didn't, but by the time it got to penalties the venue put it on the screens nearest the bar, so those interested could watch and everyone else could carry on dancing. Undignified scenes ensued, as we were all half cut by then :D I seem to remember a post-win drunken huddle dance with colleagues to Three Lions. Hope the photographer had left by then!

That ^ shite has been banging on and on and we are all bored. Start a thread if you want to keeping banging on about it FFS some of us just really like football and talking about the sport
Eh? As far as i can see that's derailed the thread long ago - dunno why your'e picking on me for defending myself - i've made two posts and none of them aggressive.

Sterling?

I thought the lad played well. He did not score or assist but had a solid game. Disappointing to see the racist tabloid's attacking him AGAIN :(

Have this stupidly optimistic feeling that he has an important part to play in England's campaign.

He was better than Alli and Lingard last night, just seemed to hesitate too long with his final ball time and again.

There was a dearth of creativity in midfield that might be our undoing if nobody steps up.

Sterling?

I thought the lad played well. He did not score or assist but had a solid game. Disappointing to see the racist tabloid's attacking him AGAIN :(

Have this stupidly optimistic feeling that he has an important part to play in England's campaign.

TBH on watching all of Englands games so far I'd say Sterling is the most important player, at least in terms of how they are playing - when he is on the pitch they look fluid, everyone has a bit more space with which to do things and the opposition are usually pushed back a bit. The moment he goes off they start to regress into England teams of the past. If he turns some of his mistakes into goals / assists they'll probably smash someone again.

He was better than Alli and Lingard last night, just seemed to hesitate too long with his final ball time and again.

There was a dearth of creativity in midfield that might be our undoing if nobody steps up.
TBH on watching all of Englands games so far I'd say Sterling is the most important player, at least in terms of how they are playing - when he is on the pitch they look fluid, everyone has a bit more space with which to do things and the opposition are usually pushed back a bit. The moment he goes off they start to regress into England teams of the past. If he turns some of his mistakes into goals / assists they'll probably smash someone again.
Good insight.

As an LFC fan I was a bit pissed off with his attitude over the transfer to City.

He is a great player. More so if he has great players around him. I compared him a bit to McManaman for England :hmm: who had 37 appearances and 3 goals. The lad is fast and runs at defenders which frees up space. Sometimes it is hard to measure the impact of a player and that does cause judgement.

Rashford and Vardy have not been as impactive as they are at club level. Kane is a natural goalscorer but his tally is mostly penalties (not disparaging that skill) so there is room for Sterling to make a massive difference.

I hope he does. I also hope the England 'team' refuse access to the S*n and the M*IL for their appalling treatment of Sterling.

I agree re Sterling. Wasn't sure at first, but I think that starting 11 is the best one. I still want to see more from him, mind, but barring injury, I see no reason to make changes.

Vardy? No, sadly not for me at this level. And definitely not vs Sweden. Rashford to come off the bench.

One thing i will never do again is watch a England game again in a certain public house among other "football fans"
We really do not do ourselves any favours with some of our antics at times.
Wont say anymore on that.

Itv dont give them any more games Advert, adverts, adverts, takes something away from the occasion
Just leave it to the beeb.
I thought it was a poor game and nobody should be getting carried away about the way England played.
Columbia oh dear personally thought they were a disgrace, give me a Game against the scots,welsh,irish,Germans etc anyday.
If that is the way football is going at the top level god help us.
No wonder Non League football is growing and many are turning to this level of football.
Good reading some of the comments and banter on here.
Elsewhere on other sites online some Colombian players have been getting death threats and all sorts from their own people.
Worlds gone mad

One thing i will never do again is watch a England game again in a certain public house among other "football fans"
We really do not do ourselves any favours with some of our antics at times.
Wont say anymore on that.
It is bad. But most fans are like this. It needs to stop but it is not just a local problem.
Elsewhere on other sites online some Colombian players have been getting death threats and all sorts from their own people.
Worlds gone mad
I hope this is just trolls and nothing serious follows this. The Colombian players were very easy to dislike during the game but they were far from bad.

Back
Top Bottom