Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Conspiracy theorists have been active following the erection of two acoustic sheds on green space
in Kennington by TFL as part of the Northern Line extension to USAville ( formerly Nine Elms lane).
the green spaces in question are Kennington Green and a swathe of the eastern end of Kennington Park........ the sheds are huge structures designed to stifle construction noise. and will be in situ for five years, constructed from steel girders and as tall as a four storey building..... the conspiracy theory is that the presence of these structures will make any need for planning permission to build flats on these green spaces unnecessary and will clear the way for TFL to make a ton of cash by allowing developers to exploit Kennington and its new zone 1 status

Last edited:
Re-opened (eventually) 20th May.
A community group I belong to kept being shunted around by those people and now has ended up at the Railway by Clapham High Street station.

The Railway is quite pleasant pub with a good upstairs meeting room, but much more expensive that Bread & Roses used to be.

Maybe that has changed though with all this refurbishment and theatre club stuff going on at B & R prices may have hiked.

Lambeth says it's all about a "community connect."

maybe so but this event has been kept very hush hush, even the park keepers didn't know it was happening
there has been zero consultation with the local community and someone I know was at the Friends of Kennington Park AGM and it wasn't mentioned there

Looks good:

Slide2-1-1024x576.jpg

London’s first Portuguese Street Market launches in Stockwell / Oval this Saturday to celebrate ‘Portugal Day’

So, the new roundabout layout for Stockwell has some teething problems.

Firstly the north bound cycle filter lane - it's pointless - takes you with the traffic to the right of the war memorial, and then leaves you (as a cyclist) on a segregated lane with a red traffic light, whilst the other 'traffic' lane is prioritised with a green filter to turn left or go straight on. It's quicker and easier as a cyclist to go into the non segregated traffic lane and carry on amongst the cars and lorries.

The traffic lane is also too narrow for larger vehicles; the traffic lights have already been hit by wider vehicles trying to swing out to make the corner.

Coming from the East (along Clapham Road) you get the same thing - if you're a cyclist turning left onto Stockwell Road, the segregated cycle lane has lower priority than the non segregated mainstream one.

The traffic lights for motor vehicles is also terribly signposted and unclear for drivers - I saw a lorry plough through the red light this morning at 20mph ish (I can only assume they were looking at the cyclists filtering left and saw their green light) and only just stop before they hit three cars coming out of Stockwell Road.

If you're in the Advanced Stop Line space on most of the junctions, you have a terrible view of the traffic lights changing.

Quite nice tarmac though.

So, the new roundabout layout for Stockwell has some teething problems.
Firstly the north bound cycle filter lane - it's pointless - takes you with the traffic to the right of the war memorial, and then leaves you (as a cyclist) on a segregated lane with a red traffic light, whilst the other 'traffic' lane is prioritised with a green filter to turn left or go straight on. It's quicker and easier as a cyclist to go into the non segregated traffic lane and carry on amongst the cars and lorries.

Really? I haven't found that - coasted through this morning northbound with lights in cyclists' favour. There are of necessity two light cycles though so I guess it depends on timing.

Coming from the East (along Clapham Road) you get the same thing - if you're a cyclist turning left onto Stockwell Road, the segregated cycle lane has lower priority than the non segregated mainstream one.

Agree with you here. Even worse, the other day I (eventually) got a green on the bike lane to go southbound and nearly got wiped out by a lorry turning left, so something had gone wrong.

Yup, I'll be checking my shoulder more if I ever go straight on (rather than left down Stockwell Road). The amount of tipper / freight lorries and RLJing car drivers has increased.

I thought that the bike lane lights turning left into Stockwell Road might have been altered in the past week. When the scheme first opened, it was painfully slow in that small stretch of a lane. Cyclists were penalised for taking the safe option.

This appeared to change this weekend. Each time I had a very short waiting time. I may just have been lucky with my timings.

I'm still unsure about what happens when the space opens on the other side. Has it been confirmed that this will be shared between pedestrians and cyclists? There was a lone cyclist in the design images, but the wording was unclear.

There was a similar problem with the phasing of lights at Vauxhall Bridge southbound when the lane was first opened, but once it was all completed the phasing was altered for the better. I rarely get caught at the red now.

I agree about Stockwell at the moment - all a bit frustrating, but I hope it will improve on completion.

I've noticed a lot of these crazy junction "improvements" take a while and probably a bit of tweaking to bed in. Did anyone else see the chaos of the E&C changeover.

I have to disagree with Winot on the lights though. I always wait at the war memorial while the traffic swings left. Maybe you're coming up from Clapham Road (SW2/SW4) rather than SW9 (i.e. True Brixton)?

Anyone know about anything happening on Clapham Common this weekend? I can just about see something but I'm not going out to investigate. It might be a little bit of it by Clapham South being used as sort of 'storage' as prep (?) for a demolition of the old cop shop though :hmm: I'll try and take a pic.

I've noticed a lot of these crazy junction "improvements" take a while and probably a bit of tweaking to bed in. Did anyone else see the chaos of the E&C changeover.

This is true! Yesterday I noticed that the True Brixton road had been swept, but cycle lane was full of rubbish (glass, leaves, bottles) etc. already. Sigh.

I have to disagree with Winot on the lights though. I always wait at the war memorial while the traffic swings left. Maybe you're coming up from Clapham Road (SW2/SW4) rather than SW9 (i.e. True Brixton)?

Yeah I'm on the True Brixton Bypass. I guess they must be prioritising us SW2ers for a reason.

Noticed the other day that the old Thai Ming premises (near Kennington Cross, between Amici and Pizza Express) is being cleaned up and will be a second location for Firecracker, a restaurant in Westminster.

Yes. After a short break and cooling off period.
might be a bit disruptive for kids about to do gcse's which have been made more difficult this year with the new style exams ushered in Sir Gregs mate Gove.....I still cannot believe this chancer was given free reign to fuck about the way he did.

Back
Top Bottom