Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

There is an outline planning permission from 2013 for 5 blocks including a 22 storey and a 36 storey tower, 415 units in total. You'll be pleased to hear that there will be some affordable housing provided on site:19 of the 415 units so about 4.5% (10nr affordable rent, 9nr shared ownership).

4.5% is ridiculously small amount.

4.5% is ridiculously small amount.

And only achieved due to the local authority's dedication in pursuit of their 40% target. The evil developer had originally proposed only 10nr affordable rent units (a paltry 2.4%) before the council took a stand and insisted that this was almost doubled. See how developers tremble before the might and diligence of Lambeth Council and the unsung heroes of their planning department.

how, when times are tight, do we find the wherewithall to repave
the streets around groveway, stockwell park crescent etc in nice new flagstones ?

they've already got groovy retro lampposts :confused:

Interesting that it's stockwell park crescent and not actually groveway or lorn rd (both of which seem to have a higher level of Lambeth council properties, as opposed to the ones on the crescent....). Thought I'd have a look on my run this morning - my eyes lit up when I saw activity as I got to the end of the lava flow "pavement" on groveway - turns out it was a water main. I've been limping about all day after turning my ankles on that shitty paving; Christ knows how the pensioners on those streets fare

EXCITING MAY DAY CUP WON BY STOCKWELL UNITED
Sunday 26th April – the annual London May Day football competition came to an exciting conclusion. Stockwell United won the prestigious trophy beating Kayseri FC 5-0 in the final.

The two teams had won through the preliminary rounds and semi-finals to meet in a fast moving game. Stockwell had been the runners-up in 2014 and now took the top prize.

The London May Day Football Cup is called the Ernesto Leal Trophy in honour of the great Chilean trade unionists and communist who had been exiled to Britain after the Pinochet coup.
http://www.londonmayday.org/

Clapham Rotunda

One of the deep level air-raid shelters at Clapham South is going to have commercial use - restaurant or cafe, apparently, and also support London Transport activities such as tours of the shelter.

If anyone is familiar with the area - there are the remains of 3(?, I think) large rotunda structures still there - one is the one in the link, another is aped by the Tesco entrance (?) opposite same and the other is flats on Balham Hill, and it's name escapes me but it has a large plaque commemorating the shelter. Apparently some people who arrived on The Windrush stayed there.

Let me know if you're going to the public exhibition as I'm working from home this week and will appreciate an excuse to get dressed :thumbs:

Clapham Rotunda

One of the deep level air-raid shelters at Clapham South is going to have commercial use - restaurant or cafe, apparently, and also support London Transport activities such as tours of the shelter.

I would absolutely love to have a crack at that that, but fear that anything more than occasional tours would be unlikely simply on account of DDA and fire regs. I'd imagine the venture will be limited to a restaurant close to ground level.

The tunnels between Clapham North and Stockwell are now used for growing salad, which, whilst undoubtedly a better use than deep storage for bank paperwork i honestly can't see as being efficient given the energy costs of lighting and artificially irrigating.

Clapham Rotunda

If anyone is familiar with the area - there are the remains of 3(?, I think) large rotunda structures still there - one is the one in the link, another is aped by the Tesco entrance (?) opposite same and the other is flats on Balham Hill, and it's name escapes me but it has a large plaque commemorating the shelter. Apparently some people who arrived on The Windrush stayed there.

Let me know if you're going to the public exhibition as I'm working from home this week and will appreciate an excuse to get dressed :thumbs:
I went this afternoon on a flying visit. An unprepossessing caravan held the display, which was pretty much as per the internet TFL website consultation - though clearer to see being full size images.

Seems a tasteful modification so I think I'm going to send in positive feedback - though I would dearly like any TFL restaurant rotunda scheme to take over the function of Lambeth's absurd black painted heritage style superloo (which looks as though it hasn't been used in some years) and stands immediately in front of said rotunda. De-cluttering is good - even on commons.

Good pub !
Maybe but its still £3.60 for cheapest ale (20p increase in the last couple of months).
They used to have their own "Workers Ale" but sadly that went out 2 or 3 years ago.

If you ask me its a quieter (and cheaper) version of the Albert looking for a role. Used to have a conference room bookable for functions upstairs, but now a theatre. With their heritage they ought to be putting on Bertold Brecht once a month at least - but no sign so far.

From the latest Stockwell Park Conservation Area email:

"There is a continuing serious problem of intoxicated anti-social behaviour around the Tube station and associated with the Swan.

Street drinkers and beggars in central Stockwell: a member of our Neighbourhood Police Team, PC Gareth Knight, has initiated Operation ARCAngel to tackle the problems of persistent street drinkers and beggars who hang around the Tube."

What is really annoying here is that Sainsbury's will soon be opening up on the old site of Jacks opposite the tube. The existing alcohol licence was for 11am. Sainsbury's asked for a 7am licence.

Despite opposition from the local police, the Licensing Committee at Lambeth Council agreed to grant the 7am licence, albeit with restrictions on the strength of the alcohol, and a policy of not selling single cans.

Three Cllr's sat on the Licensing Committee that gave the 7am licence. Voting in favour was Cllr Jane Edbrooke [pdf], the Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods.

Her brief includes:

"She leads on crime reduction programmes, working closely with the police to keep Lambeth residents safe and secure."

The Stockwell Park Conservation Area email continues:

"PC Knight points out that begging is a criminal offence, grabbing an arm (as in persistent begging) is an assault, and it is an offence to have an open container of alcohol anywhere in Lambeth in a public space."

Blimey - "an offence to have an open container of alcohol anywhere in Lambeth in a public space."

How well is this policed? Probably quite effectively around areas such as 'Stockwell Square.' Maybe not so rigid along stretches such as Clapham High Street.

Plus how to define a public open space?

Windrush Square and the likes of the Corrs Ice Bar? Pop Brixton?

Both of which of course applied for separate licences, but it sends out a them and us message when it comes to sanctioning piss ups in selective public spaces and not others.

On the agenda [pdf] for the Cabinet meeting on 27 July is:

Public Spaces Protection Order for Legal Highs.

Clle Edbrooke is recommending:

"Approval for the implementation of a borough wide Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) to target the use and supply of legal highs."

That's LEGAL highs - substances that are not deemed to be dangerous enough to be illegal. £5,500 will be spent by the Council to target LEGAL highs.

Absolute hypocrisy all round.

I noticed the old Plough pub finally has no for sell sign on it... what that means I don't know.. but as there is such swift change going on, maybe someone is going to do something with that space.

From the latest Stockwell Park Conservation Area email:

"There is a continuing serious problem of intoxicated anti-social behaviour around the Tube station and associated with the Swan.

Street drinkers and beggars in central Stockwell: a member of our Neighbourhood Police Team, PC Gareth Knight, has initiated Operation ARCAngel to tackle the problems of persistent street drinkers and beggars who hang around the Tube."

What is really annoying here is that Sainsbury's will soon be opening up on the old site of Jacks opposite the tube. The existing alcohol licence was for 11am. Sainsbury's asked for a 7am licence.

Despite opposition from the local police, the Licensing Committee at Lambeth Council agreed to grant the 7am licence, albeit with restrictions on the strength of the alcohol, and a policy of not selling single cans.

Three Cllr's sat on the Licensing Committee that gave the 7am licence. Voting in favour was Cllr Jane Edbrooke [pdf], the Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods.

Her brief includes:

"She leads on crime reduction programmes, working closely with the police to keep Lambeth residents safe and secure."

The Stockwell Park Conservation Area email continues:

"PC Knight points out that begging is a criminal offence, grabbing an arm (as in persistent begging) is an assault, and it is an offence to have an open container of alcohol anywhere in Lambeth in a public space."

Blimey - "an offence to have an open container of alcohol anywhere in Lambeth in a public space."

How well is this policed? Probably quite effectively around areas such as 'Stockwell Square.' Maybe not so rigid along stretches such as Clapham High Street.

Plus how to define a public open space?

Windrush Square and the likes of the Corrs Ice Bar? Pop Brixton?

Both of which of course applied for separate licences, but it sends out a them and us message when it comes to sanctioning piss ups in selective public spaces and not others.

On the agenda [pdf] for the Cabinet meeting on 27 July is:

Public Spaces Protection Order for Legal Highs.

Clle Edbrooke is recommending:

"Approval for the implementation of a borough wide Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) to target the use and supply of legal highs."

That's LEGAL highs - substances that are not deemed to be dangerous enough to be illegal. £5,500 will be spent by the Council to target LEGAL highs.

Absolute hypocrisy all round.

Interesting, especially on legal highs.

But not absolute and all round.

Wait! What's this now? No drinking in any public space anywhere in Lambeth? I knew there were areas designated as such but the entire borough?

Yes, I thought it was odd. It's certainly the first I have heard about this. Impossible to enforce, and why would you want to anyway?

Wait! What's this now? No drinking in any public space anywhere in Lambeth? I knew there were areas designated as such but the entire borough?

I'm in Clapham (Wandsworth) and just looked at the website - from what I can gather the no-street-drinking zones are very, uh, precise and maybe go by wards, not the whole Borough :hmm: See this for part of Tooting High Street and 'extending to the south west [over the road]'

edit: soz, this is what you're discussing already :D

I remember the police being very hot on street drinking in Australia. They would often make you pour away your open drink. When they wanted to be real arse holes they would make you pour away the unopened ones too. :mad:

Aussie beat police are a bit hardcore for my liking.

The police tried to push the Coldharbour Lane street drinkers into the resident's hall of my block. GTFO said the chairwoman, and rightly so.
But, naturally, al fresco drinking when the alcohol has been bought from an approved bar is just dandy (Ritzy etc).

Good grief. Starting at Streatham, that'll be 7 Sainsbury's locals in 3 miles along that road. I bet Oval gets one soon too.

Back
Top Bottom