Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Hopefully we'll get a Stockwell Market by the summer. There's talk of a spring soft launch.

ANYTHING to stop those bloody cars still driving down Binfield Road.

BBuzz piece.

There are a ridiculous amount of cars that still pass down binfield road. To be fair, the signage is almost non existent to warn motorists and the one sign that is there is placed at street level and in a position where even if it is spotted it is too late to go back.

The pedestrianized zone has been very poorly executed.

Last edited:
Tricky Skills Would a new market not be the start of the gentrification of that little bit of Stockwell?

Absolutely. Although to be honest it's already underway with Sainsburys moving in.

It depends what type of stalls are there. The consultation threw up farm produce, delis and cakes :rolleyes:

The fruit and veg lady that has been there since I moved in back in 1997 seems to survive. It shows that a more traditional market could find a home there.

I mistook her last summer for *ahem* a local Cllr whilst I was outside doing a bit of gardening. We had a charming conversation for almost five minutes about council funding and future projects.

She made her excuses when I started to quiz her a little deeper.

Whoops.

I mistook her last summer for *ahem* a local Cllr whilst I was outside doing a bit of gardening. We had a charming conversation for almost five minutes about council funding and future projects.

She made her excuses when I started to quiz her a little deeper.

Whoops.
Probably thought you were about to have a go about her dodgy bridge....

Joanna Lumley's lived in Stockwell for years. You don't get much more gentrified than that!

There has always been well off people in Stockwell - I moved there in 1977 as a small child and went to the local playgroup where the granddaughter of a prominent Tory MP also attended.

Absolutely. Although to be honest it's already underway with Sainsburys moving in.

It depends what type of stalls are there. The consultation threw up farm produce, delis and cakes :rolleyes:

The fruit and veg lady that has been there since I moved in back in 1997 seems to survive. It shows that a more traditional market could find a home there.

Fruit and veg lady has been there since I was a kid.

We had Sainsburys in Stockwell when I was a kid (commonly known as little Sainsburys after they built the one in Vauxhall).

The consultations are likely to be attended (or responded to) by those who want a farmers market.

There has always been well off people in Stockwell - I moved there in 1977 as a small child and went to the local playgroup where the granddaughter of a prominent Tory MP also attended.
Yep…the bit of Stockwell to the west of Clapham Road and South Lambeth Road is stuffed full of £1m+ houses. The area around the tube station might be considered a little grotty but I've always thought of most of Stockwell as pretty posh.

As for Binfield Road, until they ban all traffic, it's a dangerous waste of space. It's not pedestrianised. You can't have a 'town square' with 10 tonne buses powering through the middle. Bit of a con if you ask me!

TfL are planning to close off and pedestrianise a bit of South Lambeth Road as part of junction improvements….if the consultation is a success. Good move if it works out.

Stockwell%2BCross%2BCycling%2BUpgrade.jpeg

Last edited:
Ironically I remember Sainsburys moving OUT of Stockwell (1980 or thereabouts) presumably because it wasn't gentrified enough.
No it was because the big one opened in Vauxhall. Back in the day when businesses were a little more sensible.

Have I misunderstood or is that saying a Sainsburys is an indicator of gentrification?

Stockwell has some wealthy pockets. I don't think Sainsbury moving in is a sign of gentrification, I think they have just spotted another business opportunity - in fact it surprises me how slow Tesco et al have taken a place at Stockwell station. Lidl has been the newest big store (although there was complains from locals about it moving in).

It is the loss of long standing Jacks that is sad -that's another part of my childhood gone.

Wasn't expecting that 'link' to be a download!
:D

Apologies - should have stated that this links to a pdf.

The role of the Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods includes:

"Working alongside the police and local organisations to reduce crime, anti-social behaviour and help people to stay safe."

The Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods has gone against the local Met Police Ward Panel advice and voted for Sainsbury to sell alcohol in the new Stockwell 'public realm' at 7am :(

I'm part of a local neighbourhood group and received the following email about the situation facing independent traders at Stockwell Station (I asked their permission to post it here as a way to raise awareness of what's happening):

"The flower and fruit stand at Stockwell station has been told they are a fire hazard and must close by the end of March. Lambeth have offered them a tiny space, about a quarter of what they now have, opposite Jack's (closes this weekend), outside a new Costa Coffee. The stall has been there for 15 years and is frequented by Joanna Lumley among many others.
The stallholders are starting a petition (I think paper not online) to try to persuade Lambeth to let them have enough space to be able to trade."

In addition, another member of the group has heard that it is a similar situation for Oliver, who runs Tintos cafe in the station. TFL have asked him to leave and not given him the option of bidding on the bigger space in the station.

What with Network Rail and Brixton Arches, it feels like part of a widespread assault on independent businesses! For anyone travelling through Stockwell station over the next few weeks it might be worth checking out and signing the petition.

That's great - the Buzz article will really help. This is a smaller scale than the Network Rail action in Brixton, and in a less fashionable area in many ways, but it deserves the same amount of attention as it's all one and the same - ripping the heart out of established local communities.
It's been tweeted out to 14.4k followers, and I've shared it on my Facebook page. I'll tweet it out from the urban75 account now too.

I'm sure we can get it over 82 sigs today!

Back
Top Bottom