Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

I no longer live in Stockwell but always shopped in Jack's when I did, they seemed to have everything, even the kitchen sink.

Yes, and a remarkably decent wine and beer selection. And they knew my daughter's name and always asked after her. Would Sainsbury's do that? Eh? :(

Yes, and a remarkably decent wine and beer selection. And they knew my daughter's name and always asked after her. Would Sainsbury's do that? Eh? :(
I had actually forgot about the beer selection, and that was why I was usually in there :oops: (my excuse is I moved out 4+ years ago and I'm sticking to that, nothing to do with subsequent beer consumption)

Here's a timely piece about the Stockwell War Memorial and Mural, Stockwell, south London.

stockwell-war-memorial-18.jpg

stockwell-war-memorial-11.jpg

stockwell-war-memorial-09.jpg

Thanks to boohoo for providing some background on the mural!

The link below shows where and how many bombs where dropped in and around Brixton and other areas.

http://bombsight.org/#16/51.4629/-0.1133
Except it doesn't mark anywhere near all of them - most bombs were small incendiaries dropped in their tens of thousands. And they did just as much damage as the HE bombs. I was born just off Upper Tulse Hill in 1952 and as kids we used to play on the bombsites that ran all along the SE side of Upper Tulse Hill from before Somers Place to the Hop Poles, where the 60s flats are now. There are no bombs marked there at all.

Except it doesn't mark anywhere near all of them - most bombs were small incendiaries dropped in their tens of thousands. And they did just as much damage as the HE bombs. I was born just off Upper Tulse Hill in 1952 and as kids we used to play on the bombsites that ran all along the SE side of Upper Tulse Hill from before Somers Place to the Hop Poles, where the 60s flats are now. There are no bombs marked there at all.

Doesn't mark the bomb that hit the Rose and Crown pub in Crown Point killing 42 people - nothing seems to mark that big loss of life which is sad.

Aha, basically around Clapham Common tube station? Thanks :) I've only been here since June so I'm still orientating myself after many years out in the east end :)
More or less. Now put it out of your mind. ;)
Nice to meet you very briefly the other day btw.

You too!

Now why must I not think about the Old Town? I'm thinking about the Old Town :(
Old Clapham Brixton rivarly. Mostly felt by Brixton towards Clapham. Clapham are usually just surprised to know Brixton is actually nearby!

Old Clapham Brixton rivarly. Mostly felt by Brixton towards Clapham. Clapham are usually just surprised to know Brixton is actually nearby!
Har, you so silly :p I'm actually just out with someone from Wimbers who is ASTONISHED that the "you want sum weed" chaps have gone from the bus stops :thumbs:

There's a public meeting on 24 November at 6pm in the Stockwell Centre to discuss the Sainsbury's application. The supermarket wants to sell alcohol from 7am as part of the plan to take over Jacks.

hi everyone just incase anyone is interested:
Anyone like a jumble sale / christmas fayre? theres one going on this afternoon at St Peters Resience (for the elderly, to raise funds for the home) 2a Meadow rd, SW8 1QB, near Oval/Vauxhall. They are selling new donated stuff, xmas decorations, perfumes, homemade cake, home made craft stuff, as well as tombola, lucky dip etc and jumble. Also serving tea hotdogs cake etc. Father xmas will make an early appearance too. Starts at 12 til 4pm.
I'll be there dressing up as the xmas fairy (long story)

I see there's a new Sainsbury's local springing up at Clapham North on the old car yard next to the Clapham North. That'll be handy for people too lazy to walk the 100 yards to the one on the corner of Aristotle, or the further 100 yards to the superstore. ffs.:rolleyes:

I see there's a new Sainsbury's local springing up at Clapham North on the old car yard next to the Clapham North. That'll be handy for people too lazy to walk the 100 yards to the one on the corner of Aristotle, or the further 100 yards to the superstore. ffs.:rolleyes:

But people are lazy: people in this road drive the 200m to Sainsbury's

That will make it 4 stores all within a mile of Binfield road and Aristotle road.

The Licensing Committee will be hearing on 9 December the application [pdf] from Sainsbury to sell booze from 7am when it takes over from Jacks. It looks like the application has been refined slightly with Cllr Imogen Walker suggesting that single cans can't be sold. No objection it seems though from Cllr Walker for the 7am sale. The Met Police are against it.

Back
Top Bottom