Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

I wouldn't mind if they carried on and opened a sainsburys beyond oval. We're stuck with pretty rubbish tesco metros.

I think there is also a Sainsbury's of some description going in at 130-138 Newington Butts London SE11 4QU. There was a planing permission thing on the hoardings and am pretty sure they mentioned Sainsbury's

A ha found it, it was a premises licence for a Sainsbury's.

If anyone saw a load of Traveller's(?) caravans and vans etc on Clapham Common at the end of last week, and wondered where they've gone - they're in the carpark of the empty building behind my place :D

Apart from the generator starting 45 seconds after the police left until midnight and someone having Capital FM on so I had to listen to that fucking concrete jungle where dreams are made of song there's nothing much to report.

The empty building/site is set to be prepped for demolition starting this Monday.

Had a great night out in the Brown Derby last night. Didn't realise that place is open so late, not sure what time it closes as it was still in full swing when I left about 1am ish.

Strange to think though that Costa was set up, in Lambeth, in 1971, by a pair of brothers who had come to Britain only the previous decade. The first shop was on Vauxhall Bridge Rd, very useful when I worked next door.

I had no idea it was British, let alone Lambethian

Strange to think though that Costa was set up, in Lambeth, in 1971, by a pair of brothers who had come to Britain only the previous decade. The first shop was on Vauxhall Bridge Rd, very useful when I worked next door.
Its roots were in Lambeth but it was new owners Whitbread who made them a well known uber-chain.
By 1995, the chain already had 41 stores in UK. In 1995, the business was acquired by Whitbread, UK's largest hotel and coffee shop operator, becoming a wholly owned subsidiary. In 2009, Costa celebrated the opening of its 1,000th store - in Cardiff. In December 2009, Costa Coffee agreed to acquire Coffee Heaven for £36 million, adding 79 stores in central and eastern Europe

Oh yes. I forgot its south London roots.

But it still seems to be big business favoured over little. And the man running the coffee place was from Kansas so not local.

I've just seen that the new elephant and Castle leisure centre is finally due to open next weekend.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I really like The Sugar Pot on Kennington Park Road.
Excellent coffee- Volcano beans, roasted in another nearby local café that has a mini roasting operation. Fantastic sourdough, cheese and serrano ham toasted sandwich - they get the cheese all lacy where it oozes out of the side. Coffee and toastie :£6. Not the cheapest ever, but it is now my favourite local treat.
The new Que Arts shop on the same strip has a fantastic range of useful stuff - art and craft materials, wrapping paper, stationery, cards.

There's some strange folks living in Kennington:
A homophobic commuter exposed himself on the Tube in a bizarre insult to a man he thought was gay, a court has heard.

Jason Seton, 37, began shouting abuse when he thought the man gave him a ‘signal’ on the Northern line platform at London Bridge station on April 10 last year.

Seton, who claims to have a ‘paranoid fear’ of being exposed as a homosexual, shouted “there’s a faggot on the platform” and made a gun gesture with his hand while he yelled “kill a fag”.

The victim, who cannot be named, used his smartphone to film Seton as he undid his jeans and shook his hips in a bizarre stunt compared to Richard Gere’s infamous nude scenes in American Gigolo.

The court heard that Seton – who maintains he is heterosexual – boarded the train and stared at his victim in a ‘menacing fashion’.

Police were able to track him using CCTV footage and Oyster card data after he got off at the next station.

At Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday of last week, Seton was given a 26-week suspended sentence and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ register for seven years after pleading guilty to one count of exposure.

Chairwomnan, of the bench Jessica Baldwin, said: “We do find this is so serious that a custodial sentence is appropriate, however we have decided to suspend it today.

“You came within a hair’s breadth of going into custody today, straight down to the cells.”

Seton, of Ebenezer House, Kennington, must also pay an £80 victim surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.
Exposure homophobe avoids jail

Back
Top Bottom