Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Clapham, Stockwell and Kennington news, rumour and general chat

Surprisingly they asked if I wanted someone to come and see me tomorrow. I can't, and said they needn't unless they wanted the actual bit of paper, but it sounded like they were taking it seriously.

Clapham news:

THE KING & CO TEAMS UP WITH BURNT MILL BREWERY FOR TAP TAKEOVER

Kitchen residency double-header by Tem Ban and Taco Rebels continuing through October

On Thursday 5th October, renowned Clapham craft beer pub The King & Co will team up with recently-launched Burnt Mill Brewery for the next event in their popular Tap Takeover series. Starting at 7pm, the evening will highlight a wide range of modern brews including their Green Path IPA, Stackyard Hoppy Wheat Ale and Layers Imperial Stout, with free samples and beer flight offers plus the opportunity to talk to the team about their fresh unfiltered beers from their brewhouse on a Suffolk farm. Throughout October, the popular independent free-house will also continue to host their exciting kitchen residency double-header by much-loved popup chef Tem Ban and hot newcomer Taco Rebels.

Every Wednesday to Sunday, pub guests can enjoy rising star Tem Ban’s latest sensational dishes pairing core Southeast Asian ingredients with the best British seasonal produce. The regularly-changing menu of small and large plates are designed to share so that everyone can taste an array of complimentary flavours, and will feature the hugely popular Thai fried chicken with crispy garlic and BBQ dipping sauce; as well as new additions like Jungle curry fish cakes; and green curry with baby corn, aubergine and Thai basil. Having spent over a decade honing his culinary skills working in acclaimed professional kitchens ranging from The Begging Bowl in Peckham to Soho’s Smoking Goat and even a recent stint at Bo.Lan in Bangkok, founder and head chef Craig Broadhurst can be trusted to provide vibrant memorable meals.

On Mondays and Tuesdays, Taco Rebels will serve up their bold and mischievous twist on Tex-Mex tortillas, showcasing a fusion of the most diverse and powerful flavours from around the globe. Ideal for sharing over a few pints, the taco fillings like aromatic pork belly, pineapple and ginger salsa, sriracha and crema are fast becoming firm favourites, along with signature Rebels’ beet balls, spiced carrot hummus, and dressed red cabbage slaw. This month’s twice-weekly taco lineup will debut creations such as marinated chicken thigh with tahini crema, crispy skin and pickled cucumber, and visitors looking for a mid-week feast can take advantage of the team of four friends’ #TacoTuesdays deal, which offers either five tacos for just £15, or three tacos accompanied by a mini portion of “Lock ’N Load Nachos” corn chips topped with a choice of meat and melted cheeses.

the King and Co is stupidly expensive
There's nothing I like the sound of in that press release. It's all foodie wank for twats who are impressed with 'mischievous twists'.

Taco Rebels will serve up their bold and mischievous twist on Tex-Mex tortillas, showcasing a fusion of the most diverse and powerful flavours from around the globe

Ho ho ho stuff in Clapham:

This Christmas a magical town will spring up on Clapham Common, offering you a completely different festive experience. Glide across our outdoor Ice Rink or skate around our Roller Disco. Take your kids to the Fairground and ride the Big Wheel. Try out Plonk Golf or lose yourself in Backyard Cinema’s Winter Night Garden.

Stop for a drink in our on-site pub or take the family for lunch in Street Feast’s Winter Feastopia, featuring a carefully curated mix of London’s best street food traders. Then wander around markets filled with creations from independent designers and artists.
Home - Winterville

as long as entry to the site is free and they dont try and confiscate alcohol on the way in, ill have a mosey round that for some festive cheer

A new (guffaw) "neighbourhood bar" has opened up in Cla'am:

brick___liquor_clapham.jpg

The second bar from the people behind Tooting's Brick & Liquor, this Balham Hill offshoot has the same premise: offering an experience that's halfway between a local village pub and a Manhattan neighbourhood bar.

The aesthetics are firmly on the Manhattan side of things — raw brick, tattooed staff and a short, strong cocktail list of short, strong cocktails. But the atmosphere's village pub-esque, with enough punters already qualifying as regulars that we spot plenty being greeted by the bartenders by name, like old friends. We like the warmth — figurative and literal: on a windy October evening the bar's a mix of cosiness and crowd-heat that has us fanning ourselves with the cocktail menu like jurors in a Louisiana courtroom drama.

Brick & Liquor Clapham, 47 Balham Hill, SW12 9DR.

Your local charity Code 7, 21 one years standing and one off the few black charities left in Lambeth is currently doing great work with young people and communities.

They're having a open day ( Weds 15 the November) for locals to come along and hear about a range of new exciting projects they intend to launch. Led by the ever green @AsherSenator Code 7 has adopted a proactive Public Health approach to tackling increasing level of youth violence. Supported by the social movement Blaksox Code 7 is piloting a new community led approach to community development, that is predicated on community self reliance. Why not come along and see what's on offer and find out how you many be able to assist a community seeking to help itself.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Code 7 OPEN DAY Flier (Nov 2017).jpg
    thumbnail_Code 7 OPEN DAY Flier (Nov 2017).jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_preview27U7ILPX.jpg
    thumbnail_preview27U7ILPX.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 5
Kennington Park is suffering a plague of rats.....big 'uns
The centre of infestation seems to be the skatepark
Management are blaming the northern line extension
.....disrupting underground colonies....
They're not shy.......and love the park buffet

Last edited:
Related to the above post I have heard talk of cracks in walls and of doors not closing properly in the area
and now it is confirmed....the northern line extension built to serve the US embassy and associated works at nine elms is being blamed for this.......
'Northern Line extension causes Kennington to sink'
.....they are underplaying it atm but I would not be surprised if this proves critical for some older buildings

Incidentally, what happened at the end about those plans revealed last year to hold up to 100 private events per year in the Common that caused much outrage amongst some people? Did the plans not materialise? Or has it started to happen but the overwhelming majoirty of said events are too small for most park users to even be aware of their existence, let alone cause widespread disruption?

Incidentally, what happened at the end about those plans revealed last year to hold up to 100 private events per year in the Common that caused much outrage amongst some people? Did the plans not materialise? Or has it started to happen but the overwhelming majoirty of said events are too small for most park users to even be aware of their existence, let alone cause widespread disruption?

There are loads of events but a lot are things like runs, where they just stick up some tents somewhere and mark a route out.

Hardly impact anyone.

Alex

There are loads of events but a lot are things like runs, where they just stick up some tents somewhere and mark a route out.

Hardly impact anyone.

Alex
That's what I suspected it'd be the case all along...

I’m sure some alleged that it’d be an sw4 every weekend...

Not sure what prompted these topical interjections but well done for making sure my earlier post ( that may have been interest to peeps) is now well down the thread.....:thumbs:

I really don't understand this. What happens? And why would people pay for it?
My gf is a big Friends fan and I briefly considered getting tickets for this as they were announcing it in the Comedy Channel whenever they show episodes of Friends, and she showed interest in it. Not my thing at all but each to their own.

As far as I understand it they build up an ultra realistic replica of the two apartments and throw in some real props from the production as a bonus. I think they might even offer ‘experiences’ recreating some of the most popular scenes from the show.

Apparently this is the second such tour in the UK so it must be successful enough. I’m just surprised they’re staging it in a park. You’d have imagined it being held at the smallest hall available at Olympia, or some disused warehouses in East London. But then the footprint will likely be fairly small so it might pay off having it at a more central location as the hire fee wouldn’t be that much.

My gf is a big Friends fan and I briefly considered getting tickets for this as they were announcing it in the Comedy Channel whenever they show episodes of Friends, and she showed interest in it. Not my thing at all but each to their own.

As far as I understand it they build up an ultra realistic replica of the two apartments and throw in some real props from the production as a bonus. I think they might even offer ‘experiences’ recreating some of the most popular scenes from the show.

Apparently this is the second such tour in the UK so it must be successful enough. I’m just surprised they’re staging it in a park. You’d have imagined it being held at the smallest hall available at Olympia, or some disused warehouses in East London. But then the footprint will likely be fairly small so it might pay off having it at a more central location as the hire fee wouldn’t be that much.

And that's it?

Back
Top Bottom