Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chelsea 2023-24

The39thStep

Urban critical thinker
New coach, only four players from the squad that won the Champions League two years ago , we've bought a French club Strasbourg and EUFA and Premier League now rewriting the rules to prevent the club from offering long contracts.

Think the balance on transfers in and out is about 8 v11 with Caciedo joining today, Lavia possibly tomorrow and we are still in negotiations to sell Lukaku, Zyech, Hudson-Odoi plus a load of loans. Completely barmy but we looked very good for 60 mins against Liverpool despite over half the team playing their first PL game for us. Lots to improve but I like the cut of Poch's jib and there does seem to be a strategy player profile wise which we didn't have last year.

New players to watch out for : Colwell a youth player who was on loan at Brighton last year big step up year, Axel Disasi looked very strong on his debut at centre half, Andrey Santos ( if he doesn't go on loan) young Brazilian midfielder looked confident on the American Tour, Caciedo is the defensive midfielder that we desperately need to release Enzo, who himself will have a good season, Nicolas Jackson pacy leggy but quite strong forward whose reminds me a little of both Wanchope and Isaak, Malo Gusto very promising right sided defender. Won't see three first team players until later in the season due to injuries.

Could still be in for signing a keeper.

What's your take, Chelsea fans, on the seemingly-endless spending spree of Bohly? I just heard you've signed Michael Olise from Palace for £35m.

FFP seems at the very least to have been evaded rather than complied with, with 8 year deals and whatnot (leading EUFA - I think - talking about capping this to five). Surely the board know players will be well short of their contracts when they move on. If Mudryk is there in 8 years I'll wear a Chelsea shirt to a Spurs game. He'll probably have gone in two.

Are you uncomfortable with this business model or is it a case of by any means necessary to keep up with Citeh, Real and the Saudi state?

Haven't they mainly got round it by selling an equally large number of players? Last time I looked (before Olise) they were practically even over this summer. But I'm not sure of the FFP rules.

This is our net spend this season

If Olise and Lavia join it’s about another £85m with the expected transfers out of Lukaku, , Hudson - Odoi ,and Ziyech. There might be more out but we are getting thin on the ground 😂

Very simply the club by offering 7 or 8 year deals amortises the transfer fee in annual segments over that period but all transfers are recorded as immediate income . The EPL are likely to adopt the recent EUFA rules which give a maximum of 5 years .

Another thing to note is that the club is offering relatively low annual salary , performance related along with long contracts .

We have also invested in a batch of very young players in addition to what has been an excellent youth set up which will provide a loan income and hopefully profit or first team squad entrants .

Is it good business ? God knows but I suspect it could be with regular CL income , new ground or expanded stadium and more marketing income. We were going to be sponsored by Paramount+ but the EPL blocked it as their domestic contract is with Sky/ TNT and Amazon . Paramount carry the EPL in Mexico and some other countries. We turned down a gambling company and just turned down an ‘adult ‘ streaming channel .

Tbf I was forgetting the large fees for Havertz and Mount.

Just seems like a lit of players but it's more a revolving door than a spend spend spend innit. Maybe because you think/hear about the buying club more, whoever they are.

Still pissed off Caciedo AND Lavia went to Chelsea.

Cesare Casade young Italian midfielder who got the Golden Boot and Ball trophies at the Under 20s World Cup has signed a seasons loan at Leicester. Hakin Zyiech is supposedly arriving at Galatassary for a medical.

Should see some thinning out of the first team squad over the next few weeks. Three youth academy players in the first team squad that could be up for transfers if high enough bids came in: Lewis Hall left sided midfield, wing back, defender ( although if I were Chelsea I'd put a buyback clause in or just loan) , Broja a young centre forward who scored a few goals for Southamtom on loan before a nasty injury, and possibly Conor Gallagher.

Should see some thinning out of the first team squad over the next few weeks. Three youth academy players in the first team squad that could be up for transfers if high enough bids came in: Lewis Hall left sided midfield, wing back, defender ( although if I were Chelsea I'd put a buyback clause in or just loan) , Broja a young centre forward who scored a few goals for Southamtom on loan before a nasty injury, and possibly Conor Gallagher.

Looking to be heading to NUFC, according to the torygraph.

Looking to be heading to NUFC, according to the torygraph.

Good prospect. He's competing with Chillwell, Cucurella and Maatson ( another academy product) on that side. If I was to look for offers from those four it would be Cucurella but Lewis's value as an academy player is pure 30m profit on the books. Lewis will be competing with two players at Newcastle but they have CL games as well. I think Livermento ( another former academy player) has also gone to Newcastle recently.

Sort of back to reality at West Ham. Gave away a goal at a corner against a team strong in the air by not marking and challenging. Then we dominated that half , Stirling ran riot on the right hand side causing bookings and penalties . We equalised and but missed the penalty. If it had gone in then I think its game over. Then after missing the penalty , we suffered an injury which seemed to take away the rhythm and momentum and we just looked ragged. Ok three out of five defenders are new but that doesn't explain the errors and Caciedo's debut was possibly one of the worst seen. There were a lot of positives in that first half but the mistakes in the second half cause more food for thought. On a side note just as well the squad has so many players as 8 are now injured.

After adding Mudryk to the injury list , we got our first 3 points of the season last night against Luton. There was a little bit of tension when into the second half it was only 1-0 but Luton didn't have a shot on target until the 60th minute and that was a deflection. Positives: Sterling was fantastic, he has been very good in all three games but got two goal and the assist last night. Caciedo had a steady game and this allows Enzo to play further forward. Jackson is a bargain, has a great first touch and control and has real pace and he got a deserved first goal. Silva will be 39 years old September and is just a gem. Negatives: We really didn't exploit the left hand side enough and need to work on the central midfield shooting . There is only Gallagher who looks like he can hit the target but he often delays or passes.

Chelsea are cutting the £10 coach travel subsidy for away fans. After spending nearly £1 billion on players they are making a move that will save them about £1/4 million. I couldn't support a club which showed that sort of contempt for its fans.

Hate to stereotype but this wouldnt have happended under the previous owner

Statement by Chelsea Supporters Trust

1693478919093.png

Very frustrating day and as we played a team that has probably bought nearly as many players as us there can be no excuses about new squad settling in etc. We had all the possession, all of the play in their half, all of the shots but only two on target and their finish for their goal was absolutely clinical. Plenty to think about.

It would be nice to blame the 12 injuries, virtually a new team etc however despite all possession,creating chances a very good xg ratio etc if you don't score you don't win.

After a very welcome win against Brighton in the League Cup we have now lost Chillwell with a 'serious hamstring injury' . Gusto is suspended and although James is training he won't be back yet so we are likely to see Cucurella start ( he had a great second half against Brighton) on one side. Jackson is suspended so either a false nine or Broja or a combination of those within the 90 mins as Broja isn't match fit yet , would nice to see Washington from the youth set up get a run out. Hopefully, Palmer and Mudryk will continue making progress.

Good win away to Burnley after going 1-0 down . Sterling was electric playing on the left instead of Mudryk but I can’t work his inconsistent performances out tbh . One week runs into to dead ends next week skins the lot . Pleased that Jackson got another goal and Palmer is by far the most intelligent attacking midfield player . Next up Arsenal after the international break .

This thread is a bit dormant.

Disasi's own goal was an all time great but he's still not the worst player on the pitch. I mean, I like Raheem Sterling but fuck me he's having a nightmare. So instead of taking him off you take off Mudryk, one of your best players.

This Chelsea is bizarre.

You made me google because where is this stadium? Indiana, obviously.

But I did learn it's the home stadium of the wonderfully named University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team.
My avatar is atop the golden dome of the administration building of the university of Notre Dame. Go Irish!

Back
Top Bottom