Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charlotte Dujardin not competing in dressage after whipping video emerges

Guide dogs, assistance dogs, search and rescue dogs, police dogs....some dogs have been trained to know when their owner is about to have an epileptic fit and leads them to somewhere safe before it starts.
I was leading up to that :mad: 😁

But yeah, I'm sure there will be acceptable degrees of exploitation.

Guide dogs are pretty incredible. The way they have been given a purpose imo gives them a better life than your average pet dog. Domesticated animals, even the pampered ones, can lead somewhat impoverished lives, stimulation-wise, compared to their wild cousins. Working animals such as guide dogs or sheep dogs have far more stimulation and richer experiences.

Humans helping disabled people I obviously have no problem with.
Have you met any guide dogs, though? They're really not suffering.

Good piece of advice from a friend who has a guide dog. When you meet them on the street, don't pet the dog. He's working and needs to concentrate. Yes, he's adorable. You can do what you want with him when he's off duty.

Have you met any guide dogs, though? They're really not suffering.

Good piece of advice from a friend who has a guide dog. When you meet them on the street, don't pet the dog. He's working and needs to concentrate. Yes, he's adorable. You can do what you want with him when he's off duty.
They are l0ovely dogs, i agree. but they are open to abuse, just as much as other dogs. I was witness to one being kicked by it's owner on a train. She was trying to sit in a seat where there's a table in the middle. The dog was trying their best to get under the table so she could sit down. She got angry and kicked the dog. I told her there was no need for that. The poor dog looked so down trodden. If she could do that in public, I dread to think how the dog was treated at home.

If you're talking about guide and hearing dogs and the like. No.
And before everyone throws a hissy fit, I am disabled myself.
I was with a blind friend who has a guide dog this morning and I can tell you that that dog lives the life of Riley. When I arrive at her house, the dog comes bowling up to me, looks in my pockets to see if I've any dog treats then fetches her toys and wants me to play with her. She's just like any normal dog in the house and it's only when her harness goes on that she becomes serious as she knows she has a job to do.

She is 9 years old now and will have to be retired soon when she will be re-homed as a pet with a carefully selected new owner. My friend is heartbroken at the thought of loosing her but she will be allocated a new guide dog and hasn't got room for 2 large dogs in her tiny bungalow or she would keep her herself.

What's so awful about that?

Why would anyone spend a lot of time or difficultly chasing horses around with no idea of whether it might be beneficial or even feasible?
I reckon if a lot of effort was involved, people quite simply would not have bothered - especially when they had no idea at that point about the potential usefulness of horses that we view with the benefit of hindsight.

So I reckon, horses started to hang around because humans collected grain. Very similar reasons to why other animals - especially mice, rats and cats started to hang around. Humans possibly realised by putting out food they could easily hunt them and other animals for food.
I don't think anyone put a lot of effort into going out and catching horses with no idea about them.

Early humans did lots of things which required a lot of time and difficulty with no idea about how beneficial or feasible it might turn out to be.

Your example of storing grain relates one of the most obvious ones - the development of early agriculture.

Other animals, such as pigs and cattle, were probably easier to domesticate than horses and were done so much earlier.

I suspect that one of the reasons that horses were eventually domesticated where other similar animals weren't is that that even if it required a great time and effort to domesticate horses, it was significantly easier than eg zebras (which I see you've mentioned yourself).

But once some animal species had been domesticated, it was easier to see what the benefits would be if it were feasible, and therefore more worthwhile to put in the effort.

I can’t believe there are any mainstream animal rights activists who wouldn’t accept that guide dogs are a good thing.
Then you're rather naive.
I was with a blind friend who has a guide dog this morning and I can tell you that that dog lives the life of Riley. When I arrive at her house, the dog comes bowling up to me, looks in my pockets to see if I've any dog treats then fetches her toys and wants me to play with her. She's just like any normal dog in the house and it's only when her harness goes on that she becomes serious as she knows she has a job to do.

She is 9 years old now and will have to be retired soon when she will be re-homed as a pet with a carefully selected new owner. My friend is heartbroken at the thought of loosing her but she will be allocated a new guide dog and hasn't got room for 2 large dogs in her tiny bungalow or she would keep her herself.

What's so awful about that?
That's great but you're talking about one dog. You don't know how other guide dogs are treated.

That's great but you're talking about one dog. You don't know how other guide dogs are treated.
It's anecdata, just like your story of a dog being mistreated. My anecdata is also of guide dogs being treated extremely well, fwiw.

Some children are mistreated, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have children.

The relevant question here surely is: is it inherently cruel to use dogs as guide dogs? imo the answer to that question is a clear 'no'.

They are l0ovely dogs, i agree. but they are open to abuse, just as much as other dogs. I was witness to one being kicked by it's owner on a train. She was trying to sit in a seat where there's a table in the middle. The dog was trying their best to get under the table so she could sit down. She got angry and kicked the dog. I told her there was no need for that. The poor dog looked so down trodden. If she could do that in public, I dread to think how the dog was treated at home.
All this says is that people with disabilities can also be cunts. It says nothing about why people shouldn't use guide dogs.
You said this earlier.

With regards to having dogs as companion animals (I hate the word 'pet'), I don't have a problem with it, given that there are so many dogs needing homes. I myself have had rescue cats.
So you'd be OK with this woman kicking her dog if the dog was just a companion? Otherwise your other comment makes no sense.

It's anecdata, just like your story of a dog being mistreated. My anecdata is also of guide dogs being treated extremely well, fwiw.

Some children are mistreated, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have children.
Having children is not a valid comparison. That's a choice we make as humans. Dogs don't have a choice in being guide dogs or similar.

Don't be ridiculous. Now i know you're just goading. Fuck off.
tbf he's following your logic, not his. You do appear to be confused on this matter. Is it ok or not for people to keep dogs? If yes, is it then ok to have guide dogs? If not, why? And you can't give your reason as 'because some guide dogs are not treated well' because I would bet you any money that a higher proportion of guide dogs are treated well than the overall proportion of pet dogs.

Back
Top Bottom