Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Charlotte Dujardin not competing in dressage after whipping video emerges

tbf he's following your logic, not his. You do appear to be confused on this matter. Is it ok or not for people to keep dogs? If yes, is it then ok to have guide dogs? If not, why? And you can't give your reason as 'because some guide dogs are not treated well' because I would bet you any money that a higher proportion of guide dogs are treated well than the overall proportion of pet dogs.
Companion animals are not trained from birth to do things that aren't natural to them. That's the difference.

Companion animals are not trained from birth to do things that aren't natural to them. That's the difference.
Ah I see. You're just kind of ignorant about the whole thing. The training of guide dogs very much utilises and hones those dogs' natural abilities. As I said before, it's extraordinary how they can do it.

btw do you consider the training of a dog to 'walk at heel' on command to be unnatural. If so, you really should never own a dog.

Ah I see. You're just kind of ignorant about the whole thing. The training of guide dogs very much utilises and hones those dogs' natural abilities. As I said before, it's extraordinary how they can do it.

btw do you consider the training of a dog to 'walk at heel' on command to be unnatural. If so, you really should never own a dog.

And that, of course, is why different breeds of dogs have been developed to be suitable for performing particular tasks.

The relevant question here surely is: is it inherently cruel to use dogs as guide dogs? imo the answer to that question is a clear 'no'.

Did I say it was cruel? No. Do I agree with it? Again, no. That's my opinion. You have a different one.

I'm not ignorant, just have a different opinion to you.

From what I remember, the training was all about positive re enforcement through Scooby snacks rather than physical punishment or other chastisement, so most people would probably agree it was OK.

Our new friend might argue that constant exposure to mummies and banshees and suchlike was unnatural.

Our new friend might argue that constant exposure to mummies and banshees and suchlike was unnatural.

That's (partly) why I said most.

TBH, I have some sympathy with the idea that animals shouldn't be used for the needless gratification of humans, and personally I'd include horse racing as well as all the other equestrian "sports" in that.

But I can also hopefully distinguish between good and bad arguments for positions, whether I agree with those positions or not.

That's (partly) why I said most.

TBH, I have some sympathy with the idea that animals shouldn't be used for the needless gratification of humans, and personally I'd include horse racing as well as all the other equestrian "sports" in that.

But I can also hopefully distinguish between good and bad arguments for positions, whether I agree with those positions or not.
Care to put your arguments across then?

How does not being natural equate to being cruel?
If I'm boring you, feel free to ignore me.
Hang on, you quoted two posts by me from different places in the conversation, only one of which mentioned the word 'cruel'. When I replied to your post regarding the rather nebulous notion of 'natural', I used the word 'natural'.

And you're to imply that I'm the one being inconsistent???? :D

Hang on, you quoted two posts by me from different places in the conversation, only one of which mentioned the word 'cruel'. When I replied to your post regarding the rather nebulous notion of 'natural', I used the word 'natural'.

And you're to imply that I'm the one being inconsistent???? :D
Given that there are several posters here now, coming at me from all sides, I'm finding it difficult to keep up.

Dogs. cats and horses are all animals that have been domesticated for several millennia at the least, the idea that they are not naturally living alongside human settlements at this point is quite frankly absurd.

We've made this come about, we've made their numbers increase, we now need to treat them with kindness but suggesting they should be living in some sort of wild way is like mate the ship sailed on that several thousand years ago.

Dogs. cats and horses are all animals that have been domesticated for several millennia at the least, the idea that they are not naturally living alongside human settlements at this point is quite frankly absurd.

We've made this come about, we've made their numbers increase, we now need to treat them with kindness but suggesting they should be living in some sort of wild way is like mate the ship sailed on that several thousand years ago.
I'm not your mate, and just because something has been the case for thousands of years doesn;t make it right.

Back
Top Bottom