Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

ooh - I remember my mum had a sunbeam Raper. It was cool because it had a button on the steering column that gave it another gear, or overdrive or something (I was young at the time and hazy on the details )

ooh - I remember my mum had a sunbeam Raper. It was cool because it had a button on the steering column that gave it another gear, or overdrive or something (I was young at the time and hazy on the details )
Overdrive on third and fourth

Field report: Portugal, April 2022.

Spotted so far: Ford Orion, Several Corsas with a boot (sold as the heavily twocked Nova in the U.K.), 2CV, a nice old boxy Fiat Panda (always parked round the corner from the inlaw’s beach flat).

Not spotted: Renault 5 / Renault 4. A couple of years back there were at least half a dozen 5s in the town, but none sighted yet. Either growing prosperity or Covid bumping off the grandads.

Photos may follow.

Some nice memories there of family cars we had.

My Grandad had a Ford Orion (they seemed to be rarely seen even at the time), before that it was a Vauxhall chevette. My folks had a Renault 5 then a Panda.

Orions ended up in some ridiculously high insurance category due to frequent theft, so were never an affordable banger and most scrapped early, hence so few about in the U.K.

Might have been the car which you could break into by sticking half a tennis ball over the lock and by kicking it hard to pop out the central locking with the air pressure, that was definitely some type of Ford car from that era.

One of my students told me his grandad just bought a Sierra Cosworth.

I'd assumed the last one of them was abandoned upside down in a ditch in about 1998.

Back
Top Bottom