Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

118486753_2849614211965212_8166802130526913678_n.jpg

The 6R4 was gorgeous.

That's not quite the word I'd use! I think 'hideous' is nearer the mark, although it's so ugly it's strangely impressive. They do sound awesome, though. I started enough of them on stages when I used to marshal rallies. Most rally cars are loud, but once you've done the '5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go!' countdown over the windscreens of a few 6R4s your ears ring for hours afterwards. :cool:

That's not quite the word I'd use! I think 'hideous' is nearer the mark, although it's so ugly it's strangely impressive. They do sound awesome, though. I started enough of them on stages when I used to marshal rallies. Most rally cars are loud, but once you've done the '5, 4, 3, 2, 1, go!' countdown over the windscreens of a few 6R4s your ears ring for hours afterwards. :cool:
I went to an old car meet years ago at Dunsfold. Most of the cars were pre 1930 but someone had brought their 6R4 along to demonstrate their inner hooligan on the track. Noisy and fun to watch but definitely out of place amongst the more sedate and much older cars. :D

I went to an old car meet years ago at Dunsfold. Most of the cars were pre 1930 but someone had brought their 6R4 along to demonstrate their inner hooligan on the track. Noisy and fun to watch but definitely out of place amongst the more sedate and much older cars. :D
I used to go to Brooklands Italian days. There was some amazing stuff there including a Panda with a mid mounted v12 or similar from a supercar. It sounded amazing and was incredibly fast, often as fast as Lambo, Ferrari etc. But the noise...

It was a beige Panda. But the same idea. I’ve seen it get all four wheels off the ground going up the hill. I saw a Lambo do the same, but it landed on its nose which promptly came off. The driver looked both shocked and utterly gutted.

I had a Mk2 version of the 124 in that pic. 1608cc, twin cam, twin twin chokes Webber carbs and a 5 speed. Quite advanced for 1971.

Mrs Dess was a member at Brooklands. I really miss the special days and just going in for lunch after shopping. We could spend hours there and would go three times a month Just to be there.

I‘ve just seen this for sale. I’m rather tempted, as stupid as it would be.

I went to Dunsfold about ten years ago for the filming of Top Gear. You can just about see me behind James May as he introduces 'car sauna' - and it really was hot that day. As you'd expect, the car park was a sea of Imprezas and Focus STis, which meant the bloke who turned up in one of these was quite conspicuous:

Number-10-Bentley-1-1-900x600-c-center.jpg

I always thought these cars look so crap. Embarrassingly British. Unimaginative, uncool. Totally 1980s.

They certainly look 80s, but do they really look that crap? Let's face it, most early 80s small cars looked pretty dowdy, and I'm not convinced the Metro looks all that much crapper than a contemporary Fiesta, Peugeot 104, and whatever else was on the supermini market at the time.

They certainly look 80s, but do they really look that crap? Let's face it, most early 80s small cars looked pretty dowdy, and I'm not convinced the Metro looks all that much crapper than a contemporary Fiesta, Peugeot 104, and whatever else was on the supermini market at the time.
You may be looking at them through nostalgia glasses (assuming you're of that age?). They looked crap in the 80s.

You may be looking at them through nostalgia glasses (assuming you're of that age?). They looked crap in the 80s.

Tbh I've far stronger nostalgia lenses for the Mini, but then I was one of those countless teenagers who had one as a first car. The Metro just felt like a bigger Mini with a lot of the same faults and none of the charm, but by 80s standards it wasn't such a bad little car.

But they just look so basic. So diminutive and plastic with nothing stylish whatsoever. It summed up Thatcher's Britain perfectly.

The Austin metro was literally everything I hated about British design and British cars of that era.

Tbh I've far stronger nostalgia lenses for the Mini, but then I was one of those countless teenagers who had one as a first car. The Metro just felt like a bigger Mini with a lot of the same faults and none of the charm, but by 80s standards it wasn't such a bad little car.
I was going through a lot of cars at the time. I'd buy something, drive it for a few weeks and sell it, I took a silver Metro as PX on something, and, IIRC, it's the only car I ever felt embarrassed to be seen in, and I used to buy and sell a lot of 2CVs.

You know how people say 'Never meet your heroes'... I always wanted a DeLorean, until I came across one at an auction in the late 80s. I looked inside and all of the switches were out of a Metro or some other BL piece of crap. The DeLorean went for less than I was prepared to pay for it but I just couldn't do it.

Last edited:
have a look at the Jag XJ220 - its all mondeo guts IIRC
How could you own a Jag that's basically a kit car.
Although, looking back, I should probably have bought that DeLorean. It went for less than 8 grand. It'd probably be worth a few quid now, but I'd probably have ruined it and turned it into a time machine, knowing me.

Back
Top Bottom