Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

They look like they're washed relatively often though? A bit of birdshit sure, but not twenty years worth - nor caked in the usual thick dust of long laid-up barn finds.
Are they stored as investment, or just cause he likes them?

I do love an MR2, nearly went for a Mk2 about ten years back, but decided against it and got a Mk1 Golf instead.
Luckily these are stored in a fairly clean, dry place. They haven't seen the light of day for about 6 years, which will be the last time they saw water.
He just likes to collect things. Unfortunately, most of them end up rotting away outside. One car was destroyed a couple of days ago when the storm blew a hayshed down on top of it. It sickens me.

I wish I'd kept my Golf. I had a lovely 16v mk1

27666727327_95e1344315_b.jpg

It was a bit of a mission fitting that engine

Last edited:
I had a 205, various electrical faults at different times. I would be driving along and the doors would be constantly locking and unlocking, the electric sun roof, (remember those?)would open and close at will, various relays. When you turned the ignition off, the engine, a 1.9 diesel would carry on and I had to stall it to stop, earth fault.
Mechanically solid.

my 205 didn't have electric doors / windows and all that sort of stuff, i'm pleased to say

the last time i took it for servicing, the garage had a very new apprentice (who was some years younger than the car) who i am told was puzzled about functioning of the windows, absence of power steering, and nowhere to plug the laptop in...

:D

The French weren't the only ones with bad electrics, although they were notably worse than most. BMWs were also a bit of a nightmare. The multi-pin connector between the front door and the frame on a lot of their cars was a nightmare for corrosion, resulting in central locking, electric windows and mirrors regularly failing to work. And don't get me started on Italian cars.

I occasionally reminisce about the cars that were everywhere when I was young ( we're talking v. early 80's up North). Don't see them anymore, looking back they were all Fords.

The roll of honour:

Ford Granada (the massive ones)
Ford Cortina Estates (seemed to be about 30 ft long)
Ford Sierra (looked so futuristic at the time)
Ford Capri (these were EVERYWHERE!)

All were usually finished in classic colours. Beige, green, yellow etc.

I confess I’ve not been looking out for one. Forgettable little cars, unless you have fond memories of snogging in one or something, I suppose.

Tbf my only real memory of a 104 is my aunt's breaking down, which it did a lot. I have had sex in a Talbot Samba, though, which was basically a rebodied 104.

EGt5xngFlAIEiAxnqpppC9EZo6B8rD6LSLEiVwDO6MXqspIzfyeIzEi3apG8c8dUkc1wMsupygJIIOogo48rBYUCIYDqHi_FAPfoKXDPQUnkkUqLAeSyRrrvKl83

Meanwhile, I know there's one a couple of pages back, but you can't have too many Lancia Delta Integrales:

Lancia-Delta-HF-Integrale-Evo-2-154470.jpg

longdog and I were just crossing the main road near mine yesterday when one went past. An evo one like this, but in silver. Lovely thing. :cool:
They were a gorgeous looking car, and fast. Shame they were so shit.

I do love an MR2, nearly went for a Mk2 about ten years back, but decided against it and got a Mk1 Golf instead.

About 20 years ago I bought a Mark 2 MR2. It was my dream car. I took it for its first drive and, as I'm a complete idiot, headed for the roundabout that I used to cross in my Capri and have fun letting the back end step out.

Don't try this with an MR2 - the engine's not in the front. I spun it off various road furniture. The long sought after pop up headlights became pop out headlights.

It was written off. I'd had it 20 hours.

The build quality was 80s Italian car, but I'd dispute them being shit in other respects.
In 1992 I traded in a 1985 HF turbo against an 89 Integrale. The Integrale had less than 30K miles on it but It broke my heart, and my wallet. I don't think I ever owned a car that developed as many problems, and when the ECU blew one week, followed by the gearbox shitting itself the following week, it was time to say goodbye. I haven't owned an Italian car since.

Back
Top Bottom