Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

They weren't totally awful. My ex used to have one, paid pennies for it and it was pretty new at the time. It kept on going with no problems and could easily fit all the work tools in it plus crew - could get a cement mixer on the back seat, plus a passenger. The stearing and comfort left a bit to be desirered and the breaking wasn't all that, but it never went that fast so no worries.

An old school mate crashed his. The Rover he hit crumpled like tin foil, The Lada barely had a dented bumper

An old school mate crashed his. The Rover he hit crumpled like tin foil, The Lada barely had a dented bumper

Almost the same here. A mate of mine in sixth form crashed his dad's Lada into someone's Vauxhall Cavalier. The Cav was going nowhere, whereas he drove the Lada home.

i never see those classic 90s Chevy Impalas driving around. or how about a Dodge Intrepid?

Neither of them was sold on this side of the Pond, so tbh I wouldn't recognise one if it ran me over!

When I moved to Cardiff in the late 80's I was amazed that all the taxi's were Ladas. I'd never seen the like. You just had to be careful not to use City Centre cabs as they was known as scab cabs from the strike

Actually, having mentioned them, when was the last time you saw one of these?

MK2-VAUXHALL-CAVALIER.jpg

AFAIK the MkII Cav still holds the record for the most scrapped car in the UK, and I can believe it. They were everywhere when I was a kid, but now they seem to be pretty much extinct.

When I moved to Cardiff in the late 80's I was amazed that all the taxi's were Ladas. I'd never seen the like. You just had to be careful not to use City Centre cabs as they was known as scab cabs from the strike

Yup, loads of Lada taxis round here too until about twenty years ago. At least one minicab firm didn't use anything else.

I worked with a lad in the 80s who had the 4x4 Lada Niva. He loved it, as Quentin says in the above video, they were a doddle to repair and keep going.
View attachment 227044
What a looker!

Work had two of those at one of our field stations, plus a couple of “donor wrecks“ that helped one of the staff keep them going, which he did lovingly for many years until around eight or nine years ago when the focus of their work changed to more high-tech stuff and work adopted a new policy, involving some kind of leasing deal that put an end to individual projects/sites having their own vehicles.

Their relatively light weight and four wheel drive made them ideal for getting about the sandy/muddy estuary conditions where almost all other off-road vehicles would struggle - including the “official” work landies, which were regularly embarrassed by having to call-in the Ladas to help pull them out!

The other thing was that despite spending their entire lives in a salt/brackish water environment, corrosion-wise they held up really, really well, although the vehicle officer was punctilious about hosing them down at the end of every day.

When eventually they were put-up for sale, it was a feeding-frenzy of collectors bidding for them and they both went for well above expected price.

I vaguely remember there being one on Railway Street in Grimsby. The same dealer also sold Toyota and Skoda. My father bought a couple of cars from there.

East of England does ring a bell, yes - the Ural motorcycle importer was somewhere that way too for a while.

There's a bloke near me has a 2002 Turbo. Lovely thing. He's evidently minted, judging from the brand new Porsche Cayenne and the fact he has a bit of a collection of old Beemers lurking behind a roller shutter on a quiet Hull street...
My sister used to live near the Hull Golf Club. There was a lot of interesting stuff tucked away there.

Just seen one of these, first time in ages, but they are pushing 50 years old.

View attachment 227066
Have a look at the stock list of this independent BMW dealer, some real treats to buy.
I'm sure I've mentioned before but I had an '02 Touring which I bought from the forerunner of Munich Legends. I loved it. The only reason I sold it was that I could only afford to run one car and I was putting too many miles on it. :(

They were. Every single VAZ-2101 and its many hideous offspring were garbage. A poorly built copy of a Fiat 124 using worse materials and less attention to detail.
I've seen some of your cars. I think we may have differing standards to what an acceptable motoring experience is. :D

Not exactly a car you never see any more, but at least a car which is becoming fairly rare is the Peugeot 309. When I was a kid our family had one, and much later I bought one of my own when it was already an old banger category of car. I remember the non power steering being a right work out and the manual choke needing some finesse in colder weather.

It’s not the kind of car which will ever have classic status I suppose, but I have an affection for them. There’s one for sale near me (not the pic below) with under 100k miles and I’m tempted, but they want £2k which is silly money. But is this age of car likely to go up in value from now on, or is that a pipe dream?

63411CF4-BEB7-4A2B-BBE1-FCC5A5C6D107.jpeg

Not exactly a car you never see any more, but at least a car which is becoming fairly rare is the Peugeot 309. When I was a kid our family had one, and much later I bought one of my own when it was already an old banger category of car. I remember the non power steering being a right work out and the manual choke needing some finesse in colder weather.

It’s not the kind of car which will ever have classic status I suppose, but I have an affection for them. There’s one for sale near me (not the pic below) with under 100k miles and I’m tempted, but they want £2k which is silly money. But is this age of car likely to go up in value from now on, or is that a pipe dream?

View attachment 227244
The GTi version was like a fast, larger 205GTi. It was always under appreciated.

The Mi16 engine was the one everyone wanted in their 205.
They renamed the Mi16 (didn't they do a 4x4 version?) Le Mans. It was a sleeper. It looked so much like any other boring 405 but was so much better.

They renamed the Mi16 (didn't they do a 4x4 version?) Le Mans. It was a sleeper. It looked so much like any other boring 405 but was so much better.
Yup a 4x4 as well.
I've been in a 205 with a Cosworth 4x4 engine and drive train... It was completely mental lol

nah. french, tinny and flimsy. but not that shit. poor quality electricals though - my mother had a cooking 309 where the back screen literally blew up due to a minute of malfunction madness with the rear defrosting electrics

Back
Top Bottom