Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

Today when out and about I have spotted a red Ford Taurus (basically a Mk4 Cortina), a tidy white Dois Cavalos (to use the local name), yet another Datsun pickup (there’s also a Bedford one parked out the front of here). Also this nice old Peugeot:

252AE076-F977-461F-ACE6-C01430CEC26C.jpeg C75B680C-0188-40AF-B0ED-35809F8D8F1F.jpeg A2FAFF44-8D28-4EBB-B6DC-454C88D59B43.jpeg

(particularly like the old school door handles)

I love those big old Peugeots. A 505 GTi has its place in my fantasy garage...

d552bb69e10dd7e4071fd95c1888483b.jpg

Funnily enough there was another massive pug parked out the other side of the flat last night, only a saloon version in white, looked a bit pimped (big speakers in the back shelf). I’d have taken a photo but I was on babysitting duty so could only have got a plan view from the balcony.

Anyway, here’s today’s treat from a ride in the hills:

282BDCF5-24A1-4435-B16C-902DADE2146C.jpeg

Solid gold.

Funnily enough there was another massive pug parked out the other side of the flat last night, only a saloon version in white, looked a bit pimped (big speakers in the back shelf). I’d have taken a photo but I was on babysitting duty so could only have got a plan view from the balcony.

Anyway, here’s today’s treat from a ride in the hills:

View attachment 224523

Solid gold.
oohh how much ?

best get me exploring gear dug out

DownwardDog - can i borrow your old ID to get in ?

Last edited:
I was just looking at one of these. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

011067e896af4f2387cc52ad008f7b6a.jpg

I remember being invited to try one years ago. I think being a member of Porsche Club GB they thought I could afford one.

I really like them tbf (the car, not the wheels)
Me too. But a cousin's husband had one which was loads of trouble, nothing serious, just frustrating. Having said that it would sit for months, be used for a few weeks then left again. No car like that.

One of these went by when I was walking back from work the other day:

1984_Austin_Maestro_HL3_1.3.jpg

A tidy example, too, which given how badly they were screwed together must be pretty rare these days. Meanwhile, someone up the street from me has acquired a rather battered mid-90s Toyota Celica:

toyota_celica94.jpg
A cousin bought one of those Celicas brand new, on a P plate. It's a classic one owner, very low mileage. His wife hates driving it. Because he always worked from home it was only ever really used for going to visit his parents. Even now it has only about 30 or 40 thousand on it, full service history.

A cousin bought one of those Celicas brand new, on a P plate. It's a classic one owner, very low mileage. His wife hates driving it. Because he always worked from home it was only ever really used for going to visit his parents. Even now it has only about 30 or 40 thousand on it, full service history.

That'd be worth hanging on to. The GT4 version is already sought after, and the classic car people will doubtless start sniffing around the lesser models at some point, if they haven't already.

That'd be worth hanging on to. The GT4 version is already sought after, and the classic car people will doubtless start sniffing around the lesser models at some point, if they haven't already.
I posted earlier about a friend who bought an MR2 mk2 new, still has it, full history, very low mileage. She takes it out only at weekends in the summer. And even then not every weekend. It must be very desirable now.

I've run two Celicas into the ground - a Gen 6 and a Gen 7. Absolutely brilliant cars. I'm only driving a Hyundai while I wait for 2nd hand prices on the GT86 (Celica's successor) to get within my price range...

I’m pretty certain there was a Wartburg importer for the U.K., yes.

I remember seeing ads for them new/straight from the factory until at least the 1990s and they also had a regular listing in What Car/Autocar’s monthly listing of manufacturers with U.K. dealerships until at least around the same period.

I’m pretty certain there was a Wartburg importer for the U.K., yes.

I remember seeing ads for them new/straight from the factory until at least the 1990s and they also had a regular listing in What Car/Autocar’s monthly listing of manufacturers with U.K. dealerships until at least around the same period.
I vaguely remember there being one on Railway Street in Grimsby. The same dealer also sold Toyota and Skoda. My father bought a couple of cars from there.

I vaguely remember there being one on Railway Street in Grimsby. The same dealer also sold Toyota and Skoda. My father bought a couple of cars from there.

And would have been able to get bits for it here:

16145980594_fdb04d28e8_b.jpg

Long gone now, sadly. It was right next to the dock into which Ladas were imported into Britain, and was the centre of the business in sending them back the other way, as Top Gear found out sometime in the mid-90s:

None of the cars in that picture is exactly a common sight any more. I've not seen a Lada in ages, or a Montego for that matter. As for that big boxy thing in the middle with its bonnet partly up ... what is it? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom