Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

I've seen those moke things tooling about the south of France occasionally, back when I broke the bank at Monte Carlo. Point taken about the lack of safety features, but are they really that much more flimsy than a 2CV?

Rented one from the hotel for a couple of weeks in the Algarve, back in the 80's ...absolutely made the holiday ....driving up into the mountains , like driving a skateboard....

IMG_20181208_141112424.jpg

I spotted this in Germany the other year. Not seen a Sierra in the UK for ages - which is a pity, 'cos I did a lot of miles in a rattly old 1600 back in the late 90s and I've a soft spot for them.

Actually, it's not quite true I've not seen one in the UK, but the last one I encountered was something a bit special...

IMG_20190518_151942738.jpg

Taken at Snetterton last year, when I went there for the British GT racing. Yes, it's an RS500, and it's the one Richard Hammond had recently been hammering round on The Grand Tour. IIRC the owner told me it's the first production one too. It's worth an absolute fortune.

Last edited:
Mokes are now worth a fortune too. The last one I saw for sale here was $30k.

I have now bought 4 x 2CVs trying to make one good one. I can honestly say they are harder to work on than my RX-7 and that's a fucking nightmare.

Mokes are now worth a fortune too. The last one I saw for sale here was $30k.

I have now bought 4 x 2CVs trying to make one good one. I can honestly say they are harder to work on than my RX-7 and that's a fucking nightmare.
What do you find hard? I always considered them easy to work on. If you have to do any work underneath, just too it on its side. :D

It sold pretty well here, I think. Not Ford or Vauxhall levels, but it was a common enough sight. They stopped making them in the early 90s, though, so even the youngest survivor is a quarter of a century old, which is far more than the average car manages.

On a related note, the BX's big brother was never common to start with and certainly isn't often seen now:

citrxm_750_500_70.jpg

I always liked these things, but then I have a liking for older Citroens, before they knocked all the quirkiness out of them...
I know this is an XM, but are you aware of the Xantia Activa?

It had computer controlled suspension and it was remarkable for its time. Here's a thoroughly illegal example of it:

I know this is an XM, but are you aware of the Xantia Activa?

It had computer controlled suspension and it was remarkable for its time. Here's a thoroughly illegal example of it:

I was, but I had forgotten about it! Tbh I always thought the Xantia was rather a forgettable car, compared to previous generations of Citroen.

Pop down Chelsea Bridge on the last Friday of the month you'll see a few there plus a load of other classic Fords and other beauties

I used to on occasion when I lived in London. Some awesome machinery on display. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom