Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

I was never a Volvo fan but I always liked the 262C. David Bowie had one.

5994_Volvo_262_C.jpg

Was the enormous dog in the back fitted as standard, or was that an extra-cost option?

I like the 262, though the gold doesn't suit it IMO: silver with a black vinyl roof is how they should look!

They were based on a Renault (11)
(ETA: Beaten to it by quite a few posts. I should read the rest of the thread before jumping to quote posts...)

Renault 12, actually. At least based on the shape. Renault 11 was a hatchback.

There's an active R4 enthusiasts scene in Portugal. Even magazines about them. I fancy one as a second car. Surf boards on the roof ...

My father had a 1966 R4 and a Morris Mini of same age in the 1960s. We were a two car family!
Renault 4s were the daddy of the small commercial vehicle segment back in the day, in the Continent at least. Just looking at the picture upthread brought up fond memories of my childhood summer holidays, when mobile bakers would drive around resorts every morning selling freshly made baguettes out of the back of their R4s :)

Renault 4s were the daddy of the small commercial vehicle segment back in the day, in the Continent at least. Just looking at the picture upthread brought up fond memories of my childhood summer holidays, when mobile bakers would drive around resorts every morning selling freshly made baguettes out of the back of their R4s :)
I could be very tempted but they are surprisingly expensive here.

In parts of France ( the once Catalan speaking areas for instance) they still do.

I’m told they’re very good

My brother has one, and it's excellent - comfortable, practical, spacious, nice to drive, cheap to run and never goes wrong. But to me it isn't a proper Skoda, which brings us back to the thread topic:

dlf_5719-578ce04a5865b.jpg

Fifteen years ago tatty old Skoda Estelles and Rapids were everywhere and you couldn't give them away. Now they're extremely rare, and when they do come up for sale they go for strong money.

Citroen BX. Can't remember the last time I saw one in this country. Perhaps it was not a big seller in the UK? In the Continent it was fairly common in its heyday

citroen_bx_1987_images_2.jpg

It sold pretty well here, I think. Not Ford or Vauxhall levels, but it was a common enough sight. They stopped making them in the early 90s, though, so even the youngest survivor is a quarter of a century old, which is far more than the average car manages.

On a related note, the BX's big brother was never common to start with and certainly isn't often seen now:

citrxm_750_500_70.jpg

I always liked these things, but then I have a liking for older Citroens, before they knocked all the quirkiness out of them...

^^^ Was that one of the ones that had a lowering device for the boot? Proper weird that was.

lada-21011-05.jpg

i love ladas me. haven't seen one for a year or so. they did produce a wankel engined version which i have never come across like ever- unsurprising as the motors had a working life of 20 k km. yes a rotary lada

^^^ Was that one of the ones that had a lowering device for the boot? Proper weird that was.
Not an expert on them but IIRC a number of Citroen models had a highly innovative hydraulic suspension that among other things would automatically lower and raise the car when respectively parking it and starting it.

I remember an old episode of Top Gear in which Clarkson demonstrated how (at the time) Citroens were the go-to cars to mount cameras onto to broadcast live horse racing, as they were the only cars stable enough to allow filming alongside the track as the car travelled at speed on the grass following the race. He went on to to put a TV camera on top of a quality 4x4 proper off-road vehicle by another car maker, and the foot was so shaky i was unusable.

Not an expert on them but IIRC a number of Citroen models had a highly innovative hydraulic suspension that among other things would automatically lower and raise the car when respectively parking it and starting it.

I remember an old episode of Top Gear in which Clarkson demonstrated how (at the time) Citroens were the go-to cars to mount cameras onto to broadcast live horse racing, as they were the only cars stable enough to allow filming alongside the track as the car travelled at speed on the grass following the race. He went on to to put a TV camera on top of a quality 4x4 proper off-road vehicle by another car maker, and the foot was so shaky i was unusable.
I owned a diesel BX. It had a lever near the handbrake, to raise and lower the suspension. The suspension was a nightmare. The accumulators were constantly popping on it, maybe something to do with the hammering it got on poor roads in Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom