Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

Had relatives who fought in WW2 who had the same attitude towards Japanese vehicles and the Japanese. Not, however, the same sort of attitudes towards German cars and Germans. Racism finding war to hang its hook on. Ken, that was one of the wankers. "Great character" said the family. As a kid all I saw was a bitter racist who used to drive his Chrysler V8 down the road trying to hit small animals he saw. I wonder what he was like before the war.

My granddad used to get old cars in bits from scrappy and knock them together, changed cars all the time and was always dead proud in telling you it cost £80 or something. Anyway, in contrast to above he had a few datsuns/nissans but wouldn't touch german cars. He did fight in war but mostly in north africa

Lea Francis owners club at Walmer Castle today
8858aa56e1d753afb35b3ecfc24229d2.jpg

c52cb3c4019efdca870a9e5889c53ad2.jpg

065f59aaa028c94bf8de354c08539e09.jpg

6cc652942e61e986375f5e2413be196d.jpg

a5be03dda30e7890f43d8670b85d1874.jpg

I have a huge soft spot for Lea Francis. When I was young my Dad's mate had a 1928 P Type 12/40 LeaF which we used to take to car events. I even drove it a few times. :cool:

I think the car with reg KV 1495 in your photos is a P Type

I have a huge soft spot for Lea Francis. When I was young my Dad's mate had a 1928 P Type 12/40 LeaF which we used to take to car events. I even drove it a few times. :cool:

I think the car with reg KV 1495 in your photos is a P Type

That one was lovely, as was the silver convertible. I'd forgotten about them until I saw all these, haven't seen one for years.

A Triumph Vitesse...basically a Triumph Herald with a 2 litre engine. I always wanted one of those, we hade a Herald convertible when I was a kid
All Heralds were convertible - you only had to turn them over! There was a reason those seatbelt mounts weren't on the door pillars :eek:

Our first family car was a 1966 Herald 1200 saloon, followed by a '62 12/50 estate. I quite liked them.

a gilbern saw one.for the first time ever the other day. made in wales. gorgeous.an invader mk 111 only 212 ever made.

How could I forget a Ford Orion; I owned a Ghia I for a while :facepalm:
Haven't seen one in yonks, do any still exist?
5442834171_09bdfd725b_b.jpg

I’ve seen a few in Portugal in recent years, might have even posted one on here already. Fords aren’t that common there in general, but not having to salt the roads mean stuff lasts longer.

They were quite easy for joyriders to steal which put them in a high insurance group iirc, which might have sped their demise. See also Novas and metros, most of which ended their lives getting burned out on sports pitches in the shitty bits of town.

Sat in the car park at Blaise Castle the other week (sleeping toddler, not dogging) and some rusting and weird looking thing that looked a bit like a shortened Bedford Rascal pulled into the adjacent space. An Elcat Cityvan 202 according to graphics on the side, x-reg I think. Not so much a ‘not see anymore’ as ‘never seen ever’. Battery powered but relatively ancient. Had an Electric Vehicle Association sticker on the side, driven by a couple of pensioners.

Elcat Electric Vehicles - Wikipedia

That link suggests they only made 160 cars in total.

The marque doesn’t even appear on ‘how many left’.

Speaking of which, there are apparently only 235 Rascals still on the road (they’re listed as Vauxhall rather than Bedford as they took over the branding later on).

My dad had a Vauxhall Wyvern and then a Vauxhall Velox in the 1950's. I can still remember the registrations of both of them but I've never remembered, or even known unless I went outside to look, the registrations of any car I've ever owned.

Some real shockers, but a huge chunk of the British car industry, including the Sierra! Some should be preserved and rightly so. I remember a trip to the museum at Gaydon when the Acclaim owners were having a day out. :)

Back
Top Bottom