Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

The car mentioned in this song: "he's got a Ford Cortina/that just won't run without fuel/fill 'er up, Jacko!"

There was an endless procession of old minis going down the M5 on Friday, coming off at the Cribbs turning north of Bristol. Trailers, roof racks, stuffed with bags, presumably some sort of weekend rally/camping thing going on somewhere. Nice to see so many at once.

I also saw a Morris traveller at the garden centre this afternoon, been a while since I’ve seen one. Bit too tidy for my liking, missing the genuine look of having moss growing on the wooden frames like they would have done back in the day.

I saw an immaculate one of these yesterday, in the most unexpected of places. Not the prettiest. 0.jpg.cf.jpg It virtually lives on the street next to a Standard 10 and a modern Jaguar. I hope the are garages over winter. I hung around for the owner to start it and drive of. It puuuuuured.

I saw an immaculate one of these yesterday, in the most unexpected of places. Not the prettiest. View attachment 181127 It virtually lives on the street next to a Standard 10 and a modern Jaguar. I hope the are garages over winter. I hung around for the owner to start it and drive of. It puuuuuured.

First went to the factory in 1985 and saw these being made.

One of the things that made me love TVR ever since. Oh, and the noise of course. :D

Nah, couldn't really live with looks of a Wedge even though they sound great.

On my third now, a '72 Vixen which was a nightmare, an '89 S2 which was fantastic and finally my Chimaera 500 which is a fucking monster. :D

9mK6ula4.jpg

The Vixen how I remember it for the majority of time having it.

20180915-122655.jpg

The 'project' I ended up selling after letting some cunt who I trusted restore it. The respray was however excellent and done by somebody else. Shame it never saw the road.

Twenty fucking years owning it.

Was Joe Strummer stating the bleedin' obvious? Or he was predicting the development of electric cars.

We'll never know
I used to have a MkII Cortina 1600E - the car mentioned in TRB's "Wish I had a Grey Cortina".

There are companies now that will put an electric motor into any old classic.

There is hope for classics. Just as soon as I win the lottery, that's what I'm getting.

I used to have a MkII Cortina 1600E - the car mentioned in TRB's "Wish I had a Grey Cortina".

There are companies now that will put an electric motor into any old classic.

There is hope for classics. Just as soon as I win the lottery, that's what I'm getting.
I once had the chance to buy a Lotus MkII Cortina Convertible. Brought a flat instead, in 1989! Fuck the Tories.

It was in this colour scheme as well...
E77EDF35-A6DF-449D-82DC-F202E7558D20.jpeg

I was in Camberley yesterday and they had a classic car show on the main shopping streets, unfortunately I didn't know in advance or I would have had my camera with me, there were some Americans and some nice old British cars, Aston Martins and the like.

Then there was an Austin Princess, in perfect condition, in bright yellow it looked a little out of place among the Pontiacs and Chevys, but I suppose it is a classic :)

Not exactly a classic, but the first car I remember my mother owning was a MkII Hillman Imp (can't recall the colour, red I think…) and then a BRG Talbot Sunbeam ('Susie Sunbeam' she insisted on calling it, because that's her name…). Bizarrely, I can't recall any of my father's early cars. The first car I remember that Grandpa A had was an ancient Morris Oxford Traveller (which my mother learnt to drive in). She and several school-friends then drove to Istanbul in a Beetle (I think) that was practically dead. She's still got the diary she kept. It died when they got to Turkey.

I can't drive.

Not exactly a classic, but the first car I remember my mother owning was a MkII Hillman Imp (can't recall the colour, red I think…) and then a BRG Talbot Sunbeam ('Susie Sunbeam' she insisted on calling it, because that's her name…). Bizarrely, I can't recall any of my father's early cars. The first car I remember that Grandpa A had was an ancient Morris Oxford Traveller (which my mother learnt to drive in). She and several school-friends then drove to Istanbul in a Beetle (I think) that was practically dead. She's still got the diary she kept. It died when they got to Turkey.

I can't drive.
Some real classics in that list, none of which you see now.

My mother had a spitfire (so I am told) before I was born. When I was around 10 she had a Sunbeam Rapier. In white - all I remember of it is it had an "overdrive" switch on the steering column which, at my then age, sounded like some sort of nitro / rocket drive button.
Apart from that it was probably a bit shit and its got swapped for brand new S reg Toyota corolla - which never failed and helped to temper my father's deep held anti-japanese racism - born after his stint in Singapore and (then ) burma and Malaya in WW2

Back
Top Bottom