Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff fans walk out of Elland Road over treatment of fans

Sure it works brilliantly in Germany but then they have a lot of modern stadia built with it in mind...not sure what appetite there would be for ripping out seats and making entire stands or sections of 'safe standing' zones, or if it's even possible to do so in stands that are specifically designed as all seater.
There'd be a huge appetite for putting back standing areas. It's not like fans ever wanted all seater stadia.

Since when do Arsenal crowds spend the entire game standing up?

:confused:

Ed, I remember going to Highbury with you a few years ago and due to the the design of Highbury where the terrace was a good 4feet below pitch level there was no choice but to stand. This was compounded by the ring of police standing in front of us!

Sure it works brilliantly in Germany but then they have a lot of modern stadia built with it in mind...not sure what appetite there would be for ripping out seats and making entire stands or sections of 'safe standing' zones, or if it's even possible to do so in stands that are specifically designed as all seater.

How many Premiership or Championship sides are playing in the same grounds they were at the time of Hillsborough, or atleast havent been changed at all since then? I doubt its not many if any. Surely safe standing areas could have been built into redvelopments in the last 20 odd years!

... an increasing number of your away games are 'bubble trips' where you have to travel with an approved coach, can't travel independently and can't simply goto the football but are, as it refers, in a bubble from Cardiff to the away ground and back.
They're even doing this to us in the conference now :mad: The AFC Telford (yes I know....Telford...the mind boggles) debacle at the start of the season was a prime example. (And after all the hassle with getting vouchers/tickets, they moved the time of kick off then eventually postponed the game :rolleyes:)

Our ones are bullies who work at Belmarsh during the week and enjoy spending their day off by being over zealous to away fans. Utter wankers.
Yes I can attest to this too - proper cunts at Charlton. I nearly got chucked out when we were there last season in the cup - they'd let about 2000 people into an area designed for 1500 and still wanted us to steer clear of the yellow gangways :facepalm: Shame cos Charlton is usually a good day out and the home fans generally friendly.

Ed, I remember going to Highbury with you a few years ago and due to the the design of Highbury where the terrace was a good 4feet below pitch level there was no choice but to stand. This was compounded by the ring of police standing in front of us!
I remember it well. I also remember shouting at the fucking cops who stood up and completely blocked our view. We're all standing here though :p

arsenal-06-15.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/cardiff/arsenal-06.html

Trial it on the away supporters, of course. How will they manage to do that in the Olympics?

Trial it on the away supporters, of course. How will they manage to do that in the Olympics?
That's the most annoying aspect of it. Apparently only a block of two of home fans will be subjected to it as well. I guess the away fans are judged as more high risk. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they won't see the lack of trouble as being a result of these actions and put one and one together to make seventy four and use this more often.

The Football Supporter's Federation are meeting this Sunday at Leyton Orient to discuss bubble trips, and the Olympic Stadium.

being told to sit down all the time because I've got excited by the - you know - football match going on - just squeezes the last bit of enjoyment out even more.

Jumping up occasionally through excitement is not "persistent standing" though surely ? They never did you for that did they ?

Well done Cardiff for this. Dont go to anywhere near as many away games as I did (almost only London games now and the odd 48 hour special up north) but in my travelling games it was West Midlands Police who won the arseholes award.

But the pricks at Charlton deserve a special modern day mention. Cowardly bastards who ejected disabled Palace fans and a mate of mine who is the most docile and 'right-on' chap you can get along with being mixed race for 'racism'. Utter bollocks. Next time we play them then I reckon it could get very interesting at the turnstiles.

To be fair that draconian Olympics search policy has made me realise how to stop Bale and Ramsey playing in Team GB. I'm just going to load their Luis Vuitton manbags with "drugs, weapons and fireworks". They'll never make the turnstiles. Job done.

A minor discomfort considering they'll be watching Everton for 90 mins :D
For fuck's sake. That is ridiculous and completely over the top.
That's what they do at concerts though innit. It's about making sure everyone has to buy coke for £6 a can at the olypics probably. Getting some practice in to make sure no-one sneaks a few sarnies and a flask of tea in:rolleyes:

I've been going to watch Chester the last couple of seasons and I must admit I've rather taken to standing up again. The seat in the kop I use is fucking awful. I'm not a small guy myself but the lad in the seat next to me is even fuckin bigger. I can barely get my knees in without them being in the back of the girl in front. Still at anfield you don't complain about having to sit down.

It's probably more dangerous standing in a seated area though. Fuck knows what would happen if there was a crowd surge in those circumstances.

I just feel sorry for fans like Evertonians having to travel that far to watch such poor football :D

The irony about the 'safety' of all seater stadiums is that you're up and down like a whores drawers all through the match - at elland road anyway. So you have thousands of excited people standing in the all seater area - which is way more dangerous then just having standing areas. Theres a few times Ive nearly gone flying over the row of seats in front of me when we've scored (obv this is less of a problem at places like west brom or Hull).

Well done to the Cardiff fans for making a point.

So you have thousands of excited people standing in the all seater area - which is way more dangerous then just having standing areas. Theres a few times Ive nearly gone flying over the row of seats in front of me when we've scored (obv this is less of a problem at places like west brom or Hull).

^ This.

A properly designed standing area is safe to stand in. A seated area very often isn't. But in the name of safety we get the latter. It's unbelievably daft.

that is mental.

although my experience of going to the world cup last year demonstrated that although they have all these 'powers' to search etc, they are rarely used fully because thousands of people trying to get through a few small gates need to be kept moving quickly - which means they usually only do the searching on a few people. I imagine this wont help the toffees this weekend though...i guess the away end only holds about 4 or 5k which is much smaller numbers.

Back
Top Bottom