Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff fans walk out of Elland Road over treatment of fans

I'm 5' 5" and i love standing at football. as i support sunderland, it usually improves my experience if someone like spacemonkey is standing in front of me.

good on them Cardiff fans. they always bring plenty of noise.

I`m 6` 4 but With Big Fat Sam at the helm I still spend a lot of time looking up , there was a rumour that the Upper Tiers were going to be more expensive this year because they would see more of the ball.

But the terrible disaster at Hillsborough wasn't caused by terracing: it was caused by incompetent, criminally negligent policing.

No but it prompted the changes , to be fair even as a teen it used to be bloody scary sometimes in a surge but with the right design all that could be avoided.

People manage to stand at concerts, festivals and other such events, and the 'safe standing' initiatives in Europe prove that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for compulsory seating.

I can't stand the prick who shouts "sit down", from behind. I can't sit down, you prick, because the bloke in front of me is standing. And, quite frankly, why shouldn't he? This is football, not the opera. Instead of telling me to sit down, how about you stand up. If you're incapable of standing for 45 minutes at a time, maybe you should go in the disabled section. Fucking knob.

This^

Leeds stewards are mainly arseholes ime, as are Charlton ones & Gillingham, off the top of my head.
Our ones are bullies who work at Belmarsh during the week and enjoy spending their day off by being over zealous to away fans. Utter wankers.

I have never been to your ground and not been threatened with being kicked out. Actually have been kicked out twice. I won't be going again.

I have never been to your ground and not been threatened with being kicked out. Actually have been kicked out twice. I won't be going again.
This really pisses me off. I bet you're not alone with that opinion.:mad:

This is football, not the opera. Instead of telling me to sit down, how about you stand up. If you're incapable of standing for 45 minutes at a time, maybe you should go in the disabled section. .

My Dad is 65 now and has stopped going to Arsenal because he doesn't want to stand up for 45 mins, nor have his view blocked by someone who does. It's not the 'stander's' fault and it's not my Dad's, it's the illogical way 'standers' and 'seaters' are mixed.

If we can't have safe standing, we should have 'stander's' seats and sitter's seats, as bizarre as that sounds in isolation.

This really pisses me off. I bet you're not alone with that opinion.:mad:

Yeah, it's a shame cos I've got nothing at all against Charlton supporters. The way they dealt with losing on penalties to us the other season was exemplary.

My Dad is 65 now and has stopped going to Arsenal because he doesn't want to stand up for 45 mins, nor have his view blocked by someone who does. It's not the 'stander's' fault and it's not my Dad's, it's the illogical way 'standers' and 'seaters' are mixed.

If we can't have safe standing, we should have 'stander's' seats and sitter's seats, as bizarre as that sounds in isolation.
Since when do Arsenal crowds spend the entire game standing up?

:confused:

Quick question to those who say that they just have to stand up at games or it ruins their enjoyment.....

Do you stand up whilst watching films at the cinema too? What works for football must surely work for other spectator activities yes?

Quick question to those who say that they just have to stand up at games or it ruins their enjoyment.....

Do you stand up whilst watching films at the cinema too? What works for football must surely work for other spectator activities yes?

There is no comparison between the two.

Clue: do you cheer wildly, start up chants, shout at the screen, swear at the actors and hug the person next to you in the cinema?

Clue: do you cheer wildly, start up chants, shout at the screen, swear at the actors and hug the person next to you in the cinema?

I've seen people do these things at the cinema yes.

Though not chants unless you count singing along to ghostbusters and that Abba song based film chanting.

A better example would be watching live music.

Comparing watching football to going to the cinema, are you another arsenal fan?

Don't adult men who stand in seated areas ruin the experience for anyone under, say, 5'8" - which would include most women and all children? That was what I saw looking around me as a season ticket holder, anyway. Fwiw, I do support designated standing areas.

I'm 5'6" and, tbh, it's rarely a problem - and we have season tickets at the back of the lower tier at Carrow Road in the bit where people are most likely to stand up.

Much more of a problem at concerts and stuff.

Where I've stood recently in Denmark it was fabby because the terrace had really big steps (I think they can turn it into a seated end if they need to) so there was never any problem with even really quite tall people.

Since when do Arsenal crowds spend the entire game standing up?

:confused:

They don't have entire crowds standing up, but if you are a season ticket holder who wants to sit, with a number of season tickets holders around/in front of you who want to stand, as my Dad is, the entire crowd may as well be blocking your view.

That's a good point.

No disrespect to your Dad, but can't he sit in an area where people don't stand? The family enclosure, or the some of the quieter parts of the grounds? If not, whilst I don't want to sound harsh, then maybe he's right to knock it on the head, rather than expect everyone else's enjoyment to be curtailed.

The trouble is that people's understandings and expectations about football have changed: when it became trendy in the 90s, there was an influx of people who had no roots in football, and expected it to be more like other forms of entertainment (the cinema has already been mentioned). And, of course, because they are wealthy, clubs pitched for their business, to the detriment of football's traditional fanbase. Clearly there will always be a small number of traditional supporters who are unable to stand (the elderly and infirm, for example), and they should be provided for, but the rest of us shouldn't be punished because the prawn sandwich brigade can't be arsed to stand up!

That's a good point.

No disrespect to your Dad, but can't he sit in an area where people don't stand? The family enclosure, or the some of the quieter parts of the grounds? If not, whilst I don't want to sound harsh, then maybe he's right to knock it on the head, rather than expect everyone else's enjoyment to be curtailed.

The trouble is that people's understandings and expectations about football have changed: when it became trendy in the 90s, there was an influx of people who had no roots in football, and expected it to be more like other forms of entertainment (the cinema has already been mentioned). And, of course, because they are wealthy, clubs pitched for their business, to the detriment of football's traditional fanbase. Clearly there will always be a small number of traditional supporters who are unable to stand (the elderly and infirm, for example), and they should be provided for, but the rest of us shouldn't be punished because the prawn sandwich brigade can't be arsed to stand up!

No disrespect assumed, it's a reasonable discussion.

It a season ticket, at a club with a lot of people on a waiting list for season tickets. His seat is where it is. He's been trying to get his seat moved for three seasons. And he been going to Arsenal since he moved here from Ireland in early '60s, so he's not in the prawn sandwich brigade. In fact, using your theory that fans who are nearer to *ahem* 'johnny-come-latelyness' should be a lesser priority, he comes pretty near top priority, doesn't he?

No disrespect assumed, it's a reasonable discussion.

It a season ticket, at a club with a lot of people on a waiting list for season tickets. His seat is where it is. He's been trying to get his seat moved for three seasons. And he been going to Arsenal since he moved here from Ireland in early '60s, so he's not in the prawn sandwich brigade. In fact, using your theory that fans who are nearer to *ahem* 'johnny-come-latelyness' should be a lesser priority, he comes pretty near top priority, doesn't he?

Yes, sounds like he's exactly the sort of long-term football fan whom clubs should look after: allow him to move his ticket to an area where people remain seated. Not make everyone around him sit down. But I bet those more genteel areas are take up by the middle-class Johnny-come-lately prawn sandwich brigade, so he can't get a ticket there. They should boot some of those ponces out, and let your old man sit there! But, I suspect that he'd have to pay more, too? Money and fashion has ruined football at the top levels in this country; almost make me glad we're in the BSQP!

I was thinking of children and women because those were the people around me when I had a ST, but of course the older people suffer as well.

I wonder if no small part of the reluctance to allow standing areas - even season ticket standing - is accountability, atm they know the name and address - and often credit card details - of virtually every person in every seat and they like having that information.

I think arsenal don't allow a seat swap, otherwise the people on the queue would only be offered the more expensive seats and it would lower demand. Wankers.

It's not like they use common sense and sit somewhere else (standers at the back, sitters at the front) remember the fan who told Ancelottithat he was sitting in her seat? :D

People manage to stand at concerts, festivals and other such events, and the 'safe standing' initiatives in Europe prove that there is absolutely no need whatsoever for compulsory seating.

Sure it works brilliantly in Germany but then they have a lot of modern stadia built with it in mind...not sure what appetite there would be for ripping out seats and making entire stands or sections of 'safe standing' zones, or if it's even possible to do so in stands that are specifically designed as all seater.

Back
Top Bottom