Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

Wow! Do some reading on that one! There’s huge controversy among the cycling community.
I wasn't even aware that it was moving. I can't say I really mix much with the cycling community, so would be grateful for some pointers.

There's no point in asking us to do our own research, otherwise every post on these boards would just repeat that mantra.

did my own reading :thumbs: this article appears to be fairly evenhanded on the issue unless anyone knows otherwise? Difficult emotions over the future of Cardiff's historic Maindy Velodrome

bringing school buildings up to standard appears to me a significantly greater benefit than the issues of relocating the bike track. but i have skin in the game, so biased, i guess.
why should it be an either or situation? why are they replacing the velodrome with one that is not fit for purpose? Its like Velindre all over again!

why should it be an either or situation? why are they replacing the velodrome with one that is not fit for purpose? Its like Velindre all over again!
there's nowhere else for the school to go 🤷 the fitness for purpose of the new track is a separate issue but the main concern i have is some mention of education funding being syphoned into it? velindre involves the loss of natural habitats, not so maindy (mamils aside :D).

Some old pics of Riverside. and loads with a personal connection.

I lived opposite the scream house for a few years whilst the fella was doing his rooftop protest. I was the top flat so was eye to eye with him from the kitchen. I tried to pretend I hadn't noticed him. My life was complicated enough at that time to worry about where his head was at.

I moved into Fitzhammon Emb the day they found the girls body, so my first visitor was the police asking if I knew anything.

Just before the Riverside hotel closed one of the staff there pinched the bass bins and dumped them at mine. Ended up having to use them as a table and bedside stand for months because he couldn't get it together to shift them.

Is scream house still going?

I lived on cathedral road from 93-98 and I remember it clearly. Not been down there for a while.

Is scream house still going?

I lived on cathedral road from 93-98 and I remember it clearly. Not been down there for a while.
Yeah. All black, boarded up at present with a big "do not enter" sign. I'll try and remember to take a pic tomorrow.

Mr mango and I will be in Cardiff between Tuesday 23rd and Saturday 27th August. Likely to be walking in Merthyr on the Friday, hoping to visit the Mumbles earlier in the week. Does anyone fancy a meet up?

Mr mango and I will be in Cardiff between Tuesday 23rd and Saturday 27th August. Likely to be walking in Merthyr on the Friday, hoping to visit the Mumbles earlier in the week. Does anyone fancy a meet up?
Can do! Not sure how many Cardiff/Welsh urbs can be roused mind!

Let's go for 23rd. Will anyone recommend a pub? William of Walworth we'll be walking around your manor on the 24th if you can't make it to Cardiff for Tuesday drinks :)
Tuesday ( :eek: ) 24th August? :pconfused:

I'm flying to Slovenia from Heathrow at about 9 am that day!!

Cardiff recommendations later, but The City Arms isn't what is was (ale-wise!) at all. The Tiny Rebel next to it generally has good choices though, including Cider,

It's quite pricey in there though.

I don't think you mean Saturday 24th September? (I'm in pre-work rush!) but I'm likely to be at my last Festival of the 2022 season then ....

Looks like we'll miss you next week William of Walworth. For Cardiff drinks (Tuesday 23rd) and Swansea strolling (Wednesday 24th).
Plumdaff happy to meet anywhere within a half hour walk of the centre. Do you think the arrangements should be through a different thread?

Just saw this ,sorry i missed it, hope your merthyr walk was good ,some beautiful areas there,

Hello folks

So I’m going to be in Cardiff on the 5th November for Wales v New Zealand rugby international with four mates … and due to the rail strike we are now stopping over in Cardiff and hence a bit of a night out.

I don’t know Cardiff at all. What’s it like in the town centre after a match? We are probably after pubs / food till around 11ish. is there anywhere we should be aiming for (or avoiding). Is there anywhere which won’t be totally mobbed and hence an option to grab some food in?

Three of us are staying near Newport so will be getting a cab back at some point, but me and a mate are staying next to Cardiff castle.

Hello folks

So I’m going to be in Cardiff on the 5th November for Wales v New Zealand rugby international with four mates … and due to the rail strike we are now stopping over in Cardiff and hence a bit of a night out.

I don’t know Cardiff at all. What’s it like in the town centre after a match? We are probably after pubs / food till around 11ish. is there anywhere we should be aiming for (or avoiding). Is there anywhere which won’t be totally mobbed and hence an option to grab some food in?

Three of us are staying near Newport so will be getting a cab back at some point, but me and a mate are staying next to Cardiff castle.
I sorry i can't help you out here. I avoid going out in the city centre these days. Someone is bound to be along with some suggestions though.

Hello folks

Most places will be mobbed, you could maybe try somewhere like the Pen & Wig as that's the other side of the centre and obviously a walk away, 5-10mins
Or the bay, lots of chains down there, number 6 bus or train from queen st station

Back
Top Bottom