Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

View attachment 375322

What do YOU call it?
Caroline Street or Chip Alley, although I had to check Cardiff photos – chip alley, Alliance sculpture, National Museum and more rain - urban75: art, photos, walks

Woke up to this. The tale of what actually happened is not entirely clear save for the fact that 2 kids were killed when run over by a car. police seem to have gone in very heavy handed:

A man called Connor, who also lives in Highmead Road, said: “It’s been a mad night. This is not the norm around here but people are pretty anti-police and that’s reflected on both sides, not that that’s my opinion.

“Although we’ve been afflicted by this riot, I still understand it. When people have enough, this is what happens.”

Heard the helicopters going over late into last night. Story is that police chase ended up with two kids being hit and killed by a ?bus and police then started batoning a crowd that gathered and were refusing to allow family access.

Until proven otherwise I'd assume OB will lie through their teeth, although a stupidly heavy-handed response to an accident wouldn't be unlike SWP. It's pretty unusual for 150-odd people to kick off spontaneously, sadly traffic accidents happen all the time and don't usually result in this.
Yup you were right:

I saw comments on one of the vids I posted earlier above that said the boys bodies were left in the road for ages and the police wouldn't let the families anywhere near. This has also been corroborated by someone who I'm a friend with on FB who says the OB attempted CPR but no paramedics or ambulance crews were called. They were left there for 2 hours. No wonder people got so angry.

This open letter to Drakeford and the CPS is doing the rounds. Probably a bit optimistic
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-28 at 12.23.56.jpg

E-mail diffrwyscriafol@gmail.com or DM @diffwyscriafol to add your organisation to the letter.

Dear Mark Drakeford and the Crown Prosecution Service,

First of all, we stand with, and send our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Harvey Evans and Kyrees Sullivan in the wake of this terrible tragedy. The pain of losing these boys so young is unimaginable, and we hope you know that we wish to support you in any way possible as you seek justice.

The unrest seen in Ely was an understandable emotional reaction to a tragedy that may or may not have been directly caused by the actions of South Wales Police.

The 8 of the 9 who have so far been charged with riot are all teenagers, and most of them are under 16.

Criminalising these young people, and destroying their futures, at a time when the community as a whole is grieving a terrible loss is something that makes no sense.

The First Minister said that the rioters "must be held accountable". The police involved in the incident that lead to the deaths of Harvey and Kyrees have so far faced no consequences. The police that provoked such a reaction in the wake of their death have faced no consequences either.

However 9 young people have been arrested, questioned and now face a serious charge that will change the course of their lives completely, undoubtedly destroy their mental health and could mean they face up to 10 years locked up.

We call for an amnesty for these young people and an end to the criminalisation of the community of Ely in the wake of these riots.

The lives of the family, friends and wider community of the kids who have lost their lives have been changed forever. There is no way to bring them back.

There is no need to inflict more suffering on this community by locking up its young people. Criminalising these 9 who were charged with riot will of course, ruin their lives, and decimate the lives of their families. It will create more pain and suffering in a community that has suffered enough from the "criminal justice system"' actions.

We the undersigned call on the First Minister Mark Drakeford to make a statement calling for an amnesty, promising no more arrests and for the Crown Prosecution to drop the charges against those who have already been arrested.

No justice, no peace.

Signed

This open letter to Drakeford and the CPS is doing the rounds. Probably a bit optimistic
View attachment 376627

My family on my Fathers side are from Ely, Its self perpetuating and ultimately society..all of us are to blame. if you live in a shithole you blend in, its really hard to be a decent honest person when nobody ever treats you as one

cops don't like social media shocker
"Social media can be a real problem for policing in general because claims, whether false or otherwise, can be spread very quickly.
"That can inflame and exacerbate existing tensions and police have to deal with that - particularly if those claims involve the police themselves.
"A report, a video, an image can be uploaded and posted around the whole world within minutes. Issues can be amplified in a way that didn't happen before."

Back
Top Bottom