Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

Goat Major name change

A landlord accused of destroying history by renaming a pub that is more than 200 years old has actually restored its original name.
The pub, on Cardiff's High Street, originally opened as Blue Bell in 1813, but became the Goat Major in 1995.

Previous owners Brains did not plan to reopen it as lockdown eased but Croeso pubs bought it and returned it to its 208-year-old name.
Some social media users had accused Croeso of a "criminal" name change.

After also complaining that its owners were "destroying Cardiff's history", it was pointed out the Blue Bell was in fact its historical name, forcing the accusers to retract their statement.

Hi, I am hoping that someone is able to help me please. My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I am seeking historic information on the Philharmonic in Cardiff please?
What year did it open? Was it closed for a period of approx 5 years and then re-opened? When was this? If anyone could provide any information at all specifically relating to the 1980's and 1990's I would be so grateful.
I am particularly looking for information regarding what type of venue it was in the period above and ownership information.

Thank you.

Hi, I am hoping that someone is able to help me please. My apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.

What year did it open? Was it closed for a period of approx 5 years and then re-opened? When was this? If anyone could provide any information at all specifically relating to the 1980's and 1990's I would be so grateful.
I am particularly looking for information regarding what type of venue it was in the period above and ownership information.

Thank you.
Closed 9 years

Thank you.
I remember it being open when I came to Cardiff in 88. Upstairs was just a bar, but downstairs was for dancing and bands. I remember Paul Lyons playing UK soul/hip hop there in the late 80's and my ex used to work the bar there back then. I have memories of seeing some local soul and funk bands there around teh same time (maybe more the early 90's). Can't remember teh bands names, but I'm pretty sure Phil Racz was doing keyboards for one of them.

It closed for a bit then I think and reopened in the late 90's. Chubble were putting on the odd house night there and I saw Inland Knights there for sure. Also had techno nights (it might have been an early incarnation of Holodeck) Anyhow, I didn't get to go to many of those as I was kicked out and banned:hmm: :facepalm:

Closed 9 years
Thank you for that information.
Unfortunately it is not specific enough. I ideally need dates of opening and when they were closed.
The reason for this is because I am a complainant in a historic abuse case which happened during the 1980's. The Defendant denies the abuse and stated that I met him at the Philharmonic in 1990/1991.
I vehemently deny this meeting and I need to prove it did not happen.
Therefore any information regarding dates the Philharmonic was open/closed would be extremely useful

Thank you for that information.
Unfortunately it is not specific enough. I ideally need dates of opening and when they were closed.
The reason for this is because I am a complainant in a historic abuse case which happened during the 1980's. The Defendant denies the abuse and stated that I met him at the Philharmonic in 1990/1991.
I vehemently deny this meeting and I need to prove it did not happen.
Therefore any information regarding dates the Philharmonic was open/closed would be extremely useful
The alleged meeting [which did not happen] was supposed to have been sometime in 1992?

Why would I know that? Have you done much research yourself?
There is info in the link I posted above
No, I have only just heard of the alleged meeting so I haven't needed known or needed to do any research.
That is why I am here.
You seemed to know a lot so I thought I would ask - is there an issue with that?

No, I have only just heard of the alleged meeting so I haven't needed known or needed to do any research.
That is why I am here.
You seemed to know a lot so I thought I would ask - is there an issue with that?
I don't know a lot, just googled a couple of things
Looks like might be owned by "Croeso pubs"

Do you think this is a resource for asking questions? Can you google yourself?

I don't know a lot, just googled a couple of things
Looks like might be owned by "Croeso pubs"

Do you think this is a resource for asking questions? Can you google yourself?
I am perfectly capable of using google and if I could find the information on there I would have and I would not have needed to come here.
I am seeking this information because it is important.
Can you not be so obtuse?

More evidence of intimidation:

SWP, have they ever been straight?, a story I tell sometimes is of some drug squad knobheads persuading a drug dealers wife to plant a load of cannabis in a black bag of washing given to another dealer (nice bloke only ever sold a bit of blow to his mates) who just happened to be shagging the first dealers wife while he was in Prison just prior to the filth raiding the poor blokes house, this may or may not resemble a true story how would I know, but its one of many I could tell.

Ive yet to meet a straight copper in South Wales or anywhere else

Didn't know about the oak trees and fire and shit!! madness
Quite a wide area from Blackweir to Pettigrew! a load of effort/people involved in that!

I'll be back up the 'Diff in a few weeks. This is the longest period of time that I haven't visited my hometown.

My first time back since 1st august last year. Going down this Friday and staying for the Chic gig on sunday night :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom