Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

They better improve the fire safety measures in the Roath Park pub. All them old buildings on City Road have a predisposition to burning down when planning doesn't go the way developers fancy

Interesting review of 'The Welsh Language in Cardiff – A History of Survival':

It’s certainly the case that the fortunes of the language in the town and then city have waxed and waned over the centuries.

Yet the incremental growth of Welsh language schools during the past seventy years offers plentiful evidence of the language consolidating. Since the opening of Ysgol Gymraeg Caerdydd at Ninian Park Primary School in 1949 – when there were just 19 pupils in attendance – provision has grown to almost 8,500 attendees in 2018/2019, spread across 18 primary schools and 3 secondary schools. The general downward trend in language use in the census figures between 1891 and 1971 has also been reversed, with some 15% of the city’s inhabitants now able to speak the language.
Some of the local strongholds of the language mentioned in the volume are strikingly interesting such as Pentyrch, where, in 1861, 95% of the population were Welsh. The area was home to many miners as well as coal trimmers who worked in the docks and had no fewer than five Welsh-language chapels as well as a bilingual Church.
Welsh was also seen as beneficial in the retail industry and in 1891 two thirds of the staff at the David Morgan department store were Welsh speakers, as were half of those at nearby James Howells. In matters of faith, too the Welsh language had a prominent place. Out of the 18 places of worship established in the area between 1800 and 1840 all except two were Welsh in language.

No sooner had 2021 began than we suffered the suspicious death of yet another 24-year-old black man in Cardiff Wales after contact with the police.

Mohamud Mohammed Hassan 24 was arrested at his home in a shared multi-occupancy building on Friday 8th January 2020 at 11 pm and was forcibly taken to Cardiff Bay Police station. During his arrest, an upstairs elderly neighbour reported a massive commotion in his flat below.

Mohamud was released from Cardiff Bay Police Station around noon Saturday 10th January without being charged He was so severely injured he took a taxi home. Seeing a close friend when he arrived outside his house, he told him "Look fam the police have beat the shit out of me."...
:(

:(

Wider coverage and local mobilisation has commenced:

EZMHD-CVcAIDP87

Lest We Forget

Update: Lee Jasper was asked by Mohamud Hassan's family to become involved in his case, however the IOPC sought legal advice and subsequently decided that he could not attend the meeting despite the family's request that he be involved. It also turns out that when Mohamud was arrested he came into contact with over 50 police officers! WTF? Blog post by Lee Jasper here:

This genuinely surprises my as I’ve always told people that SWP are exemplars when it comes to crowd control. Other forces send people to South Wales to be taught by them.
They are great at keeping crowds from turning nasty.

So for them to be deliberately stoking up a crowd is just wow to me. Wow.

It’s disgusting how black lives matters protests are under attempts to turn them into the villain rather than the villain they are protesting against. I expect it of America. I expect it of the met police. Didn’t expect it of my home town of Cardiff.

The case of Mohamud Hassan has taken an explosive leap forward today as the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) announced an additional four South Wales police officers including a custody officer, have today been served regulations 17 notices.
Three of these notices are concerning his time in custody at Cardiff Bay Police station, and the other relates to officers who attended his home address at the time of his arrest.
One of these notices includes an allegation of gross misconduct relating to honesty and integrity, including whether or not there were false or omitted entries made in custody logs concerning welfare checks on Mohamud....
:eek::mad:

Fair point. It seems unusual though in this instance for the IOPC to backtrack from it's original position of supporting SWP and the chief constable. I surmise that some pretty damning evidence may have come to light that is not going to be easy to spin.

Fair point. It seems unusual though in this instance for the IOPC to backtrack from it's original position of supporting SWP and the chief constable. I surmise that some pretty damning evidence may have come to light that is not going to be easy to spin.
Remember what happened to the damning evidence of the thirteen cops charged with perverting the course of justice over the Cardiff Three?

I know the SWP, They are racist, but to be fair they are also sexist, classist and overtly nasty to anyone outside their Hive or with influence and power.
The press has spent a lot of time covering the Racism and now Sexism is at the fore, I await the time we get around to recognising how they treat deprived white people (I know from experience this facet of the Tribe)...I think it might be some time

Great project but a total own goal by Cardiff City FC:

1616757925466.png

Prishita: Why was it important for you to have the involvement of the Cardiff City club? Could you tell me more about your experience with them?

Yusuf: I thought it important to involve the Cardiff City Football Club because I felt they could use their platform to reach out to People of Colour in Cardiff. The relationship between the Cardiff BIPoC communities and Cardiff City is non-existent; our hope was to use this project as a real turning point in community relations.

Early on in the project, we were invited by the club for a meeting to discuss our project with their Community Engagement Manager. We showed her some portraits, some campaign imagery and some short films that we had created for the project. Even though she said she loved the work, she seemed confused about the intent behind our project and was worried that if the club was seen to support such a project, it could run the risk of alienating their existing fan base. She stated that it could even be perceived as “reverse racism” if preferential treatment was shown to BIPoC communities – a statement that left us extremely confused and upset that someone would hold such views. It’s attitudes like these that highlight the importance of our work. If anyone feels that making a space more inclusive is a problem, then it’s clear that they are the problem!

Back
Top Bottom