Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff chitter-chatter, news and more

That was months ago! And they got a fair bit of grief for it too! Lot's of support too of course

* waves hello in direction of cardiff *

cardiff's last trolleybus ran 50 years ago today. more here.

last%20trolleybus%20image.jpg

Lovely photos. We had a fantastic week there over new year. I love going back to Cardiff - although every year it seems more and more different to how I remember it.

More bad news (from FB)

End of an era of live music? Sad news that #GAMLINS Music Centre is due to close in Cardiff! Gamlins Music Centre
+ Now's your chance to call in the store to pay your respect to what is an institution, and check out their Retirement Sale with up to 50% off!
++ Gamlin's helped nuture the Welsh rock scene. Legendary Cardiff rock band BUDGIE were supported by Gamlin's in their early days. #budgie #breadfan
  • We've been thrilled to have Burke Shelley pop in the Buchan bar now and then. We've also had the privillege of hosting young bands such as MILK The Biggest Thing Since Powdered Milk to ply their craft and keep the flame of Welsh rock burning!
  • BUDGIE: Pioneers of Heavy Metal: "“Grandaddies of heavy metal? I prefer to think of us as its kindly uncles,” laughed Budgie Singer Burke Shelley (...), whose band came together in 1967 from “musician wanted” ads in the windows of Gamlin’s music shop in the capital. Our self-titled debut album in 1971 got played to death on Radio Luxembourg and earned us a big following across Europe." https://www.walesonline.co.uk/…/sixties-band-budgie-were-ki…
  • #vintageolympicpremier Coincidentally, today we built up and restored our 1970s vintage Olympic Premier drum kit which now stands in its full yellow peril glory (- thanks to Pete for his generosity & Dave for persevering with the pre-metric threads). The photo is from the vintage.olympic website http://www.vintageolympic.co.uk/1970.html -- and our kit is not too far removed from this. Read more https://drummagazine.com/the-rocky-history-of-premier-drums/
  • So that's an invite to a drummer to put the vintage Olympic Premier drum kit through its paces, if ever there was one! Anyone for a "vintage" rock jam?
    1f642.png
    :) @yngwizard

This has come up on Tweeter

Going solely on the bus, I think the photo with the number 12 bus may be Cardiff (the Supremes did visit places other than London, and other places had double deck buses with open platforms at that time) but I don't know Cardiff well enough to suggest a location.

Anyone want to join in?

Going solely on the bus, I think the photo with the number 12 bus may be Cardiff (the Supremes did visit places other than London, and other places had double deck buses with open platforms at that time) but I don't know Cardiff well enough to suggest a location.

Anyone want to join in?

They are standing outside the bank(Nat west) on St.Mary Street, opposite Church Street.

Anyone want to join in?

The first picture may be what is now Cathedral Walk looking towards Charles St
The second picture might be St Mary Street - close to where it meets High St, looking towards the castle

Both these areas have bee redeveloped so it's hard to get a good comparison

Have a look at the windows on the shop next to Olivers (now demolished and replaced by 60s shit-the CoOp bank) just realised its actually called Olivers House!!!!!!

Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 11.22.36.png

The second picture might be St Mary Street - close to where it meets High St, looking towards the castle

I dont think its Cathedral walk due to the incline and the fact that there is a busy road to the left!

:)

yes - definitely st mary's street

The first may be be somewhere else - they did a UK tour

do either of you do the tweeter thing, or shall I respond?

having read the original tweet i wish i was on twitter now. people suggesting everything from Newcastle, Liverpool and Paris!!! i shall have a good day knowing i'm better than twitter!'

The railings are an exact match for the older ones on the Charles Street end (see Google Maps so I think this you're right here

The railings are an exact match for the older ones on the Charles Street end (see Google Maps so I think this you're right here
Modern copies of a generic victorian design! how do you explain the incline, the presence of a wide road to the left and the fact that none of the cathedral features match the photograph! I think the first one probably is London.

First photo is defo not Cardiff. Policeman would have been Cardiff City Police and that helmet badge is completely wrong!

Back
Top Bottom